CrazyBoards.org

hallucinations on drugs and with sz

just curious if anyone knows if theres a difference between how someone with Schizophrenia or another non-substance induced psychotic disorder experiences hallucinations and someone who takes hallucinogens. are the experiences the same? are there any differences?

theyre wildly different in my experience. hallucinogens tend to distort, seemingly without much direction or purpose, where as psychosis is more concise, very clear and deep in your subconcious. of course psychosis is like a bad trip 24/7 (for most of us anyway).

also my experiences with both could be very different from someone else.

Guest Vapourware

When I was psychotic, I couldn't shrug off the feeling that what I was experiencing was completely real. I did have moments where I questioned my thought processes and wondered if there was something faulty, and sometimes I was able to see that yes, there was something wrong - but I would still maintain the belief that my delusions, etc., were real. It's a rather strange experience.

I personally don't think I've tripped on drugs [i don't think I ever took enough to induce a trip], but I have spoken to many people who have tripped on various substances and the majority of experiences report that they knew that they were tripping. It sounded like they knew their experience had a finite lifespan. Whereas when I was psychotic, I felt like my delusions would carry on indefinitely.

I have never done drugs (apart from alcohol), but I have to agree with everyone who has said that psychosis feels like it is going to go on forever. Before I went on meds, I used to say 'oh I would be all right if I could just change my life circumstances (the delusions), but I am not in control of what other people are doing to me' to describe how I felt. I never knew that it was possible to take a pill and come away from the horrible life circumstances.

Archived