CrazyBoards.org

famous people who are/were bipolar

Guest Vapourware

I had a read through the list and some of the claims were verified, but I never like these sorts of lists in the first place. Especially when they try to place retrospective DXs on people, which I think is folly, and also when they put in people who claim to have bipolar but haven't actually have been verified with the dx. I think those actions dilute the point of a list like that.

I've never cared who was famous, bp or depressed or sz or whatthehell ever. Doesn't make a difference to my life, doesn't affect peoples' awareness to the disease--if anything, it just gives them the wrong impression. Certainly famous people haven't done much to define or demystify MI, not so far as I've seen.

I liken it a bit to mary Tyler Moore and Type I Diabetes: yeah, bitch, you've been pimping the shit and fundraising for years, but I still ain't fucking cured. Go sit your famous ass on the sidewalk and hold out a cup, I'm gonna go eat a fucking cupcake.

Yes, I have to admit that for the most part, I am a bit of a wincer about "famous person" MI. It's not exactly.... how I aspire to be. While I'm very proud of Brittney for her, ah, well, whatever it is, (recovery? relative calm? I don't keep up any more) the no underwear pics and shaved head are just really not what I want people to think (not to mention wifebeater shirts and day long vegas marriages) when people think... um, bipolar? Yeah, not so much.

Anna

Certainly famous people haven't done much to define or demystify MI, not so far as I've seen.

Agreed. But one notable exception from the list, Stephen Fry, made fantastic documentary about BP. It features interviews with Carrie Fisher and Tony Slattery who are also on the list, as well as many non-celebs.

Can't recommend it enough.

Certainly famous people haven't done much to define or demystify MI, not so far as I've seen.

Agreed. But one notable exception from the list, Stephen Fry, made fantastic documentary about BP. It features interviews with Carrie Fisher and Tony Slattery who are also on the list, as well as many non-celebs.

Can't recommend it enough.

It is a good show, but it totally has a slant against medication. Stephen Frye admits to dealing with ups and extreme downs that make him non-functional for periods of time. He complains about meds and says he won't take them. So do others. IIRC, most of the people interviewed are unmedicated or intermittently medicated, and comments by them regarding medication usually included words like personality flattened, deadened, etc - statements that go with meds not tweeked for the individual. Some, like Richard Dryfus, just talked about trading in the highs and lows for stability which is a fair statement. Carry Fisher tried to do the same but was admittedly still having problems with mania.

It is a good show, well worth watching. It has a bias, though, and is fwiw.

Guest Vapourware

I agree with Stacia. Very interesting perspectives in that documentary, but most of the people interviewed were either unmedicated, not fully compliant or were against medication. Especially that doctor who featured in the second part, who seemed very anti-medication when it came to dealing with her bipolar. She claimed she was functional, but it did seem she was at least a touch manic when she was talking.

Even Stephen Fry gets a case of depression during filming [and the camera catches the depressed Fry in all his glory], so it's curious that he feels that he can cope without meds.

There is some mental illness activist group at the Oregon Country Fair every year, "Mind Freedom International," which is made up of "survivors of psychiatry." The first time I went to their "show," I had to walk out in the first 5 minutes. Last time, I stayed for the "event," and it was infuriating. Not to mention infantilizing and anti-intellectual. I was going to take some of their literature, but it was non-literature. Paragraphs ensconced in shiny tri-folds, with a lot of artwork to fill all the space without words. Not a lucid thought among them. It was actually depressing that they felt they were somehow being effectual.

ETA: Sorry, that was a tangent. I need to call my p-doc if it is still a problem this weekend.

I didn't much care for that Stephen Fry documentary. I watched it last night after wanting to watch it forever. I was unimpressed. I had hoped for something a bit deeper, and more scientific. I don't know that you could use it as a tool to understand more about BP, and that's what I wanted it to be. I only bothered to watch the first part.

Edited to add: I don't give a shit who's famous with bipolar and who isn't. There's no great creative genius that comes from this shit, so everyone needs to frigging quit trying to link it. Just as many brilliant, artistic and creative people are mentally healthy. I'm BP and I'm not creative at all. So great, my brain is already disfunctional but now I'm supposed to feel extra disfunctional because I didn't get to be famous or creative or brilliant.

I'm BP and I'm not creative at all. So great, my brain is already disfunctional but now I'm supposed to feel extra disfunctional because I didn't get to be famous or creative or brilliant.

+1. I'm just happy I can be medicated to the point I can work, be functional, and almost self-sufficient (thanks for the revolving credit line, mom and dad!) None of these tools mentions the masses of bp sufferers who end up in the hospital, on the street, in jail or...just dead (what's the suicide rate? Over 16%, depending on the study, if anyone wants to link to a couple of good ones...)

Are you supposed to copy the whole page like that? I suppose Wikipedia is in the commons....

ETA: Not to mention, this kind of list is bogus bullshit.

Take it up on the wikipedia page. Reproduction of it here is perfectly legal and I see no reason to block it.

Hence my use of "the commons."

Archived