CrazyBoards.org

feeling scared and exposed outside

Sounds like you have social anxiety, agoraphobia and paranoia - or some mix of the three.

You really need to talk to a dr about medication for these symptoms, and seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioural theray should be a long term goal; or at least getting a self help book like Overcoming Panic..

Guest Vapourware

I agree, there sounds like there might be some paranoia in the mix, especially when you are describing how you thinking people are going to attack you and are whispering about you. I say this because it doesn't sound like there is concrete proof for your beliefs, but you are making assumptions about other people's behaviours and [future] actions. To be honest, it's rare for people to be attacked on the street - yes, it does happen, but if you look at the amount of people being attacked on the street opposed to the amount of people who walk on the street on a daily basis...you get the idea. It's also highly unlikely strangers would be talking about you - people are usually too self-absorbed to be thinking about other strangers who just happen to be in the same vicinity as they.

IIRC you have a dx of schizophrenia? Are you still on medication? If so, are you taking antipsychotics?

You could have an issue of IBS, if this worried about crapping your pants is an issue. I really don't understand why you're on two antipsychotics instead of one? I never understood, I mean i can see using one PRN, But that's not any of my business i guess. Here's an article on how monotherapy may be better than dual therapy of antipsychotics. and advice to doctors/students about how to do it.

The only time i mostly get scared when i go outside is when im exercising, not necessarily lifting heavy objects, but just exercising. I think that's mainly in my head, and part of my OCD in controlling my body parts and things of that sort. I actually thought at one time that i could control my heart rate, which strangely started out as somewhat of a posture thing, like sticking my chest out. and right now, i have this OCD thing about keeping my body warm maybe it relates to my asthma but i take deep breaths that are mostly warm hot air, or i pretend it is and that makes me comfortable. Specially when I am in my house on a cold winter's day, I jack up the heat as well. and so when i got cold, i get cranky. and overall this regulating and controlling things is bothersome, an OCD habit, that id like to change.

I feel SO scared outside that I am going to be attacked. I cross the road when people are walking towards me. When people make eye contact with me I can feel their eyes piercing through mine and it makes me go lightheaded, my heart pounds. It feels like a film outside, that everything I do is being watched by people who i don’t know and that other people are there to purely evoke reactions in me. I hate it. I try and keep reminding myself that its not the case, but I still feel so scared!

I get the feeling that I am being watched when I am at a bus stop. I've also had the other feelings that you describe (feelings that I will be attacked walking down the street) when I was living at another address, this was 3 years ago. Personally I would say it was an anxiety thing for me. I don't know about for you though.

The latter I got over by moving, so I am not going to suggest that you do what I did. Though I would agree with what the others have said about therapy could help with all that you with everything that you have described (including what I haven't quoted, because I only quoted what I specifically wanted to comment on).

For me getting over the feelings of being watched at the bus stop has been a slow process. I think if I had therapy over this I could have gotten over it sooner and more fully, but it is still a work in progress for me. I have to tell myself that if they are watching me then they are also watching everyone else there, so that I don't feel that it is so personal. Also I have to not arrive too early, so there is less time that I am exposed. In summary, because my situation is different from yours and just the feelings are similar, I would say that I have to find ways of working around the idea. This may also be helpful if you are having any struggles with believing this stuff isn't happening.

I hope what I have said made sense and was at least a little bit useful.

I don't have those same sx but I do get paranoid that people are going to beat me up and take my Ipod or whatever else I have on me when I walk outside alone. I used to be able to walk outside alone, now I can't because I get too panicky. It sucks because I really could use the exercise. If I'm with someone else I feel fine and protected. But I can't go out alone and I just stay in the apartment all day long.

How do you overcome this? There are times when I'm so convinced that everybody is staring at me, and that they all know my deepest secrets and they're laughing at me when I'm not watching. Sometimes, it gets really bad. I've already put my job in danger by taking too many sick days. I hope the lithium and haldol will help.

For me i think mine is social anxiety. I fear that when i am outside, i will be found by the NAZIs more easily. ( they are still after me) And everyone talks about me, looks at me and laughs at me too, which i hate so i stay in my house all day except for important appointments and to get food, and i never go alone. its to dangerous, i got followed too when i am alone, and on the bus everyone reads my mind so hate buses, and i don't drive. Sorry but i don't think there is a way to overcome it.

Archived