CrazyBoards.org

while in the psych ward last year i was diagnosed with "depressive disorder NOS". before that i was nestled uncomfortably in my cradle of anxiety disorders that i was already aware of.

my question now....wtf is this?? i've looked it up, asked my doc, etc. but i never get a clear answer what depressive disorder NOS is. yes, i know i am depressed; but what is so not otherwise specified about it? am i bipolar? do i have schizo tendencies?

is this diagnosis a cop out or do i confuse everyone that much?

NOS is a needed catch-all, grab-bag category for people who don't neatly fit in any other category. There are medical manuals that specify disorders that meet various criteria. Think of each disorder as having a checklist of symptoms. For example, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is one such manual and Bipolar disorder would be an example of one of the *specified* disorders. If your disorder is NOS, that means that the symptoms you present do not fit any of the specified disorders *in the manual*. It means you have a disorder, but you are a square peg that doesn't quite fit any of the round holes.

while in the psych ward last year i was diagnosed with "depressive disorder NOS". before that i was nestled uncomfortably in my cradle of anxiety disorders that i was already aware of.

my question now....wtf is this?? i've looked it up, asked my doc, etc. but i never get a clear answer what depressive disorder NOS is. yes, i know i am depressed; but what is so not otherwise specified about it? am i bipolar? do i have schizo tendencies?

Yeah, its like you have anxiety orders and depression, but your depression does not quite fit the mould of major depressive disorder or chronic depression or any of the textbook definitions.

When i was first diagnosed, the called it Adjustment order with Anxious and Depressed mood; later I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder & Panic Disorder without agoraphobia; then OCD also; then schizophrenia )paranoid type) with panic attacks instead.

Dx's can change over time. Out of interest how long had you been unwell when you went into hospital?

Guest Vapourware

If this helps you - Depressive Disorder NOS talks about how your symptoms relate to the current list of depressive disorders in the DSM only, and doesn't make assumptions about whether you are schizophrenic, or bipolar, etc. If the doctors thought you leaned more on the bipolar side, they probably would've given a bipolar [x] dx, and if they thought you were on the schizophrenia spectrum, they would've specified a dx along those lines.

The others have covered Depressive Disorder NOS pretty well, so I won't reiterate it, but I can understand the frustration of having a NOS label. It's a bit of a catch-all phrase for anything that doesn't quite fall within the other labels within the depressive spectrum.

Ask your pschiatrist what this means. It is often the case that in psych wards you are there for only a short period of time, and they don't know enough to confidently diagnose you as major depressive disorder or as bipolar. It such a case they may diagnosis you as NOS, and let your regular pdoc, who hopefully knows you longer or will know you longer, do the more specific diagnosis. Or it could be as others have said, that you exhibit symptoms of several disorders but not one exactly.

Yeah, its like you have anxiety orders and depression, but your depression does not quite fit the mould of major depressive disorder or chronic depression or any of the textbook definitions.

When i was first diagnosed, the called it Adjustment order with Anxious and Depressed mood; later I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder & Panic Disorder without agoraphobia; then OCD also; then schizophrenia )paranoid type) with panic attacks instead.

Dx's can change over time. Out of interest how long had you been unwell when you went into hospital?

wow, you went through a lot of shit while they tried to figure you out!

the answer to your question....i think i was born unwell! lol. had the anxiety disorders since elementary school. the depression and suicidal fantasies since adolescence. but i got really bad last september. felt totally out of control. i had so much self loathing that i felt like it was squirting out of my pores. my self injury escalated from simple scrapes with broken paper clips to burning my skin with cigarettes. then i attempted to od twice. my gp had me on paxil 10 mg so that's what i overloaded on. husband took me to the er in november after the second attempt (he didn't know about the first one) and that's when they shipped me upstairs to the psych ward.

Archived