CrazyBoards.org

Im on 100mg topamax for migraines but call me crazy (really cuz i am) it seems the med has helped with some of my "obsessive" interests and thoughts. Is this something anyone else has experiences or possible even at this dose? Its not doing much for my migraines but im thinking of transferring it as a crazy med as I have seen a difference. Just dont want to sound stupid if this is therapeutically unheard of.

Interesting you should bring this up just now...I started on Topamax in 2008 with the hopes that it would work as a mood stabilizer. I was unable to tolerate more than 50 mgs, so my tdoc left the dose there, and I've been on it ever since. Two months ago I had a major meltdown -it had been a long time coming- and tdoc put me on lamotrigine, which I am titrating up incredibly slowly but love so far.

Last week my insurance changed and I went to a different pharmacy than usual, and they gave me topiramate (I've been on generic from the start, I think) that was made by Teva instead of Sun. That night I couldn't sleep. By the next day my irritability level had started to creep up; in a couple of days' time my anxiety, which is marked by thoughts that just go round and round in my head, started going up as well. Four days in I went back to my old pharmacy and bought a bottle of the Sun and started back in on that. It took a couple of days, but now I feel better again.

I'm going to take this as an answer to the question I've been asking myself: was the topiramate really doing anything for my mood? Apparently it has been. It also works on migraines for me. That I already knew.

So no, you're not crazy...OK, maybe you're crazy, but you're not wrong. If it works for you, you are not the only one.

As I always say, topamax is just such adamn picky med, and it's so weird and does one hell of a lot of shit.

It has been shown to help with some obsessions; I believe this is partially also why (I may be wrong) they use it to treat alcoholism, bulimia, and other eating disorders.

It can help with mood stabilization, but it works best with certain types of manic symptoms. Typically, you'll find people like me--those who have out-of-control rage symptoms, loss of general control, things like that, that are helped the most. For others, it seems, the effects are much milder, as far as I've seen--and the se's tend to be worse (in my observations).

One thing about the se's--they can be "doseage sensitive", meaning, the se's you have at 50 mg may go away at 100 mg; topamax tends to have a "sweet spot"--once you hit that spot, magic seems to happen. Man, when I hit my spot, totally yay. I went from near-homicidal maniac to "he's the chill guy" at work, and I work in a very high pressure office.

So yeah--everybody talks about, a lot of people hate it, some people (me!) love it, few people understand it. It's a mystery of modern medicine. It is, as usual, one of those meds they'll throw at any condition and see if it sticks.

Thanks for all the responses.. I do have some minor side effects. Im a little dopey but not too bad lol and have some numbness in my face - but ive had these obsessions all my life and not having them is amazing. Just amazing. So i will talk to my pdoc so i can keep this med.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on exactly 100mg of Topamax and it's for mood stabilization. I'm bipolar and I love topamax. It's one of the only meds that's worked for me and I've been on a lot. I know it does more than mood stabilization, but I couldn't tell you exactly what- something along the lines of distressing thoughts, anxiety, and feeling worried all the time. But the Mania and depression are also in check (with help from some other meds of course). Plus, it makes you lose weight, not gain it. I am in the topamax fan club. The only side effect I got was a little of the "Dopamax" effect when I first started, that slowed thinking and feeling a little stupider than normal. But that went away after a short period. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you! :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Ahalo,

Your posting is almost exactly how I'm feeling on 100mg of Topamax.  I started taking it in August 2013 for migraines but am not finding it's helping the migraines as much as I'd hoped but it is helping in other, unexpected, ways.

Your original posting was in 2011 and I was wondering how things went with the Topamax?

Thank you.