CrazyBoards.org

I was started on Seroquel (1/2x25mg tablets) per night on the 20th of July. I was then asked to increase the dosage untill I had increased to 50mg.

I was feeling fine, had no hallucinations, had no trouble sleeping, my nightmares stopped, and was past the migraines I had from taking the tablet (in other words, they stopped happening after i finished increasing to a full 50mg).

About mid August I started having trouble sleeping. If i slept, I would sleep for roughly 14 hours a day, and I wasn't able to be woken up. I would fall asleep at 8pm and would generally wake up

anywhere between 130pm and 4pm. This started 5 weeks ago and has continued through till now.

My PDoc suggested increasing my medication to 75mg as he believes that this was all part of the BP. He won't listen when I say that I can't sleep properly, can't eat, and have severe stomach pains at random points through the day.

I went to see another GP about it and she said that there wasn't anything she could do about any of the problems I'm having. When I explained that I couldn't talk to my PDoc about this, she just stared at me.

I've increased and emotionally, i'm doing better.

But the problem is, i'm sleeping through all my classes for college and it's affecting my grades.

How do I fix this sleeping issue?

Can someone please help me? Let me know what other information I need to give (if needed).

If you're on 75mg, you're still on what's considered to be fairly sedating dose.

I had sedation at higher doses as well, so I took Provigil to help get me going in the morning. I'm not sure if that's something would could work for you, though. It's possible it could trigger you up, especially if you stay at a low dose of Seroquel prior to the threshold it apparently kicks in at for mood stabilization.

If you're on 75mg, you're still on what's considered to be fairly sedating dose.

I had sedation at higher doses as well, so I took Provigil to help get me going in the morning. I'm not sure if that's something would could work for you, though. It's possible it could trigger you up, especially if you stay at a low dose of Seroquel prior to the threshold it apparently kicks in at for mood stabilization.

I'll have a chat to my doctor about this, but the problem of being able to wake up or even be woken in the morning is still an issue.

Are you depressed? When I'm depressed I my sleeping pattern is the same.

The first few months I was on 200mg Seroquel I was sleepig 11 hrs + a night too, and had a lot of trouble waking. It was only after a few months I started sleeping normally. Now, seroquel knocks me out, but I sleep 8 hours and don't wake up groggy. I think it might take longer for the initial sedation to pass than other meds do.

Kiitten, I've struggled with insomnia and irregular sleep patterns for the majority of my life and when I was introduced to seroquel it only made things worse for me, my problem has been waking up after the fact and realizing that after sleeping for far too long my meds don't work when I should be taking them. If you are finding that you are oversleeping, upping your dosage seems counterproductive to me, but I also do not know the reason for the med to begin with.

I would suggest trying something different, what you try is dependent on your symptoms, but if your pdoc isn't listening to your concerns it's time to be more assertive, or find a new pdoc. If I were you, I'd be more assertive WHILE I find a new pdoc.

Kiitten, I've struggled with insomnia and irregular sleep patterns for the majority of my life and when I was introduced to seroquel it only made things worse for me, my problem has been waking up after the fact and realizing that after sleeping for far too long my meds don't work when I should be taking them. If you are finding that you are oversleeping, upping your dosage seems counterproductive to me, but I also do not know the reason for the med to begin with.

I would suggest trying something different, what you try is dependent on your symptoms, but if your pdoc isn't listening to your concerns it's time to be more assertive, or find a new pdoc. If I were you, I'd be more assertive WHILE I find a new pdoc.

I'm on Seroquel for BP. I agree with you one hundred %. This idsiotic PDoc told me increasing the dosage would help but I honestly don't understand how.

I'm already booked into my GP to talk about the medication and I'm seeing my counsellor tomorrow to ask for another referral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetiapine

At very low doses quetiapine acts primarily as a histamine receptor blocker (antihistamine) and α1-adrenergic blocker. When the dose is increased quetiapine activates the adrenergic system and binds strongly to serotonin receptors and autoreceptors. At high doses quetiapine starts blocking significant amounts of dopamine receptors.[31][32] Use of low-dose quetiapine is not recommended except temporarily during drug titration period (less than 30 days).[33]

this is why he want to increase your dose

Seroquel IS less sedating for many at higher doses (depending on smoking and grapefruit, both of which affect clearance) the less sedation usually kicks in somewhere in the neighborhood of about 150--250/300. This is a well known and commonly accepted fact, it's written all over the site and is supported by pharmconetics data.

So upping the medication totally makes sense if you are over sleeping and still need the med to treat your symptoms. You say everything but the sleep issue has resolved, right? Are there any other reasons to stop the drug other than sedation? If no, then up the dose for a bit and see how you do before making the (sometimes extremely rough transition) to a new med and/or new doc. Really.

I really don't understand why you persist in feeling like you cannot talk to your pdoc (though with this attitude towards him, maybe I do get it) and why you don' t adequately inform yourself about meds before making snap judgments that your pdoc is a moron and running off to gp/other doctors. This seems like a recipe for NOT getting good tx to me.

Anna

I was too sedated when I tried seroquel. Took it for about a month, and was up to 300 mg. I finally had to quit taking the med.

You need to tell your pdoc specifically that you do not want to be on the seroquel and that you want another medication option. Sometimes you have to be very direct to get what you are looking for.

Seroquel IS less sedating for many at higher doses (depending on smoking and grapefruit, both of which affect clearance) the less sedation usually kicks in somewhere in the neighborhood of about 150--250/300. This is a well known and commonly accepted fact, it's written all over the site and is supported by pharmconetics data.

So upping the medication totally makes sense if you are over sleeping and still need the med to treat your symptoms. You say everything but the sleep issue has resolved, right? Are there any other reasons to stop the drug other than sedation? If no, then up the dose for a bit and see how you do before making the (sometimes extremely rough transition) to a new med and/or new doc. Really.

I really don't understand why you persist in feeling like you cannot talk to your pdoc (though with this attitude towards him, maybe I do get it) and why you don' t adequately inform yourself about meds before making snap judgments that your pdoc is a moron and running off to gp/other doctors. This seems like a recipe for NOT getting good tx to me.

Anna

When trying to explain to the man that I was unable to eat more than half a meal a day, he blatently told me 'But that's a good thing. You women are always complaining about your weight...'. When I told him about passing out in the kitchen, he ignored me and told me that it simply meant that the chemicals were working. When I asked him why I was no longer able to remember certain events throughout the day, let alone the week, he just stared at me and gave me an exasperated sigh before LITERALLY pushing me out of his office and calling in his next patient who wasn't due for another 10 minutes. THAT'S why I called him an idiot. Far be it from me to have a personal problem with people invading my space, but to be pushed out of the office of the one man I have trusted enough to help me... That's just disgraceful.

Yes, I did do research into this. I've been through hundreds of sights trying to figure out the way the drug works, the different reactions it's had to people, and any other information that will STOP me from doing something stupid and affecting the tablets. I've spoken to my personal GP in order to try and sort out a way to eat properly. I've also been on pain killers for the past five years and i'm worried that they've done some damage during that time which may affect the reaction my body is having to the tablet. And I asked the other GP to check my blood pressure because i've had trouble with it in the past. If the transition to 'normal' is as sh*t-kicking as this one, then i'd much rather be insane.

Why can't you talk to your pdoc? That is the person you need to be talking to, not your gp.

What other meds are you on?

I'm not on any other meds and i've never had this much trouble with sleeping or eating before. I've been on medications for years so i'm a little worried that those medications have done something to my stomach which is now affecting the seroquel, hence the GP.

I've explained to 'Anna' below. Feel free to read that if your interested as to why I dislike this PDoc.

Are you depressed? When I'm depressed I my sleeping pattern is the same.

The first few months I was on 200mg Seroquel I was sleepig 11 hrs + a night too, and had a lot of trouble waking. It was only after a few months I started sleeping normally. Now, seroquel knocks me out, but I sleep 8 hours and don't wake up groggy. I think it might take longer for the initial sedation to pass than other meds do.

I'm happy to wait for the time to pass, I was just hoping for some hints and/or tips on how to wake up in the morning...

Yes, I have depression. I do find that when I hit my hardest lows then my insomnia will come back. But I mostly have trouble with nightmares anyway.

I stand by my earlier statement, I've been on doses of seroquel ranging from 50mg to 600 for long periods of time. 50-125 was sedating, 125-200 was very sedating, past 200 I would agree that the sedation tapered off a bit but not really significantly until about 400, and even then it stayed in my system for a very long time, making mornings very difficult. My point is that you won't find 75mg less sedating, it gets more sedating until 200 where it plateaus and then starts to taper off.

Just keep at it, you'll find a pdoc that listens to your concerns eventually, and don't let this last experience get to you, he's an ass. I'm just going to stop there, but you have every right to be offended by the way he treated you.

Anna

When trying to explain to the man that I was unable to eat more than half a meal a day, he blatently told me 'But that's a good thing. You women are always complaining about your weight...'. When I told him about passing out in the kitchen, he ignored me and told me that it simply meant that the chemicals were working. When I asked him why I was no longer able to remember certain events throughout the day, let alone the week, he just stared at me and gave me an exasperated sigh before LITERALLY pushing me out of his office and calling in his next patient who wasn't due for another 10 minutes. THAT'S why I called him an idiot. Far be it from me to have a personal problem with people invading my space, but to be pushed out of the office of the one man I have trusted enough to help me... That's just disgraceful.

Yes, I did do research into this. I've been through hundreds of sights trying to figure out the way the drug works, the different reactions it's had to people, and any other information that will STOP me from doing something stupid and affecting the tablets. I've spoken to my personal GP in order to try and sort out a way to eat properly. I've also been on pain killers for the past five years and i'm worried that they've done some damage during that time which may affect the reaction my body is having to the tablet. And I asked the other GP to check my blood pressure because i've had trouble with it in the past. If the transition to 'normal' is as sh*t-kicking as this one, then i'd much rather be insane.

I mean no offence to you or anyone else on this site, but what you've implied is actually very insulting. I'm not looking for an apology. I just don't appreciate it when someone has the ordacity to imply stupidity. Before jumping to conclusions, maybe you should think about the fact that some people aren't as rash and thoughtless as you seem to believe. Even with BP.

I really am not seeing how Anna's said or replied anything insulting. She's suggested that you might not be making the best decisions. Happens to everyone, crazy or not.

I for one know how it is when you have a pdoc whom you cannot trust. I strongly suggest that you begin searching now for a new pdoc. Most pdocs have a wait list of a few months before they can see you. It is important to have a pdoc whom you can trust because that is the most important relationship in treating your disorder.

I think that you need to be forceful in telling your pdoc that you cannot tolerate this med. I have meds that I will not take, and my pdoc knows it. Zyprexa is one. I cannot take the sedation and the weight gain.

There are other AAP's out there. I don't know which ones you have tried or if Seroquel is your first. However there are many that are no where near as sedating as Seroquel. I took risperidone, and I did not find it sedating, though others might disagree. I have now started Abilify, and it is not terribly sedating. Other options exist.

Archived