CrazyBoards.org

relapse.

After 6 months cut free i relapsed tonight. is there anything i can to to feel less horrible about my self

Relapse is part of getting better. If people could just quit, well, wouldn't everybody just do it? Six months without cutting is something to be proud of, so look at it that way. You went SIX MONTHS without cutting! That is great and it is a success you should be proud about. Don't see your relapse as a failure, but see it as a sort of blip in the radar. A relapse does not take away from your achievement.

With relapses, though, I do know that it can be easy to fall into old habits. Try not to let that happen. Don't let the fact that you cut bring you down. You can continue going... just think of this as a bump in the road. They do come from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to think of all the things in the past 6 months you've gone through without cutting. Before you take those things and think whatever you relapsed because of was stupid and insignificant (not sure if you would, but usually that's where my brain goes), try to use all those "harder" things as motivation to keep on without SI in the future. We all slip up. It sucks, but you can't let yourself get into the guilt/shame/SI cycle. Quitting SI is not easy. Congratulations on your 6 months SI free. :) I remember when I made it to 6 months and was ecstatic because I'd never really made it past 3. 6 months (even with one slip) is fantastic.

Forgive yourself. I know that isn't easy, but seriously, six months is amazing. There are people out there (like me) who can't even manage six days!

It's hard, yes, but you've made the big step, which is deciding to quit. Six months without SI is a fantastic achievement. Yes, you've relapsed, but you've got six months of proof that you can cope!

Good luck.

N

Archived