CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone have anything good to say about Abilify?

I'm on my second day of it. I was calm and felt better yesterday, and then last night I took a turn for the worse. I'm still not out of it today. I think I'm feeling worse on this med than before I took it. I know it takes time to work, but this is ridiculous.

Also, my pdoc did not tell me to titrate down on the risperidone, but I'm afraid to just quit it (I was taking 4 mg). I've been cutting my dose in half each day to get off of it. After today, I should be completely off the risperidone. Maybe Abilify doesn't play well with risperidone?

What does your turn to the worst look like, do you feel physically ill or is this a mental thing?

I wouldn't judge how Abilify makes you feel during the discontinuation of another AAP - I generally feel pretty crappy (physically, and sometimes mentally) during discontinuation.

Most people seem to have something negative to say about Abilify.

I have found it wonderful for controlling my psychotic features. I do, however, think it is responsible for my months upon months of amped up anxiety, and certainly hasn't stopped this most recent episode. Neither has the Lamotrigine though, so I'm not sure it's a total indictment on the med, though as you know, my SO has pretty well had it with Abilify. After months at 25mg, I did start to get shaking/trembling, but that is manageable.

I'd rather have the trembling then the sedation of Seroquel, but that's just me.

I like Abilify - it's not perfect, but nothing is. It's worth giving it a chance, anyways, I think.

Does anyone have anything good to say about Abilify?

Splitting a 20 mg tab and putting each half under one side of my tongue* will kill an episode of paranoia in about 20 minutes when I am fully symptomatic. I just cannot deal with the long term side effects of a lack of inspiration.

* Abilify is mostly a sugar pill with a tiny bit of active ingredient and has a decent taste. It made a decent sublingual emergency pill for me.

I have a lot of good things to say about Abilify.

It stopped obsessive thought loops. And upon initiation of treatment and each necessary dose change, my depression was significantly improved within a week, even a few days. I really like Abilify, besides the weight gain. :( Other than that I love it. I take 15mg. I started at 5mg with an AD.

What does your turn to the worst look like, do you feel physically ill or is this a mental thing?

I wouldn't judge how Abilify makes you feel during the discontinuation of another AAP - I generally feel pretty crappy (physically, and sometimes mentally) during discontinuation.

Most people seem to have something negative to say about Abilify.

I have found it wonderful for controlling my psychotic features. I do, however, think it is responsible for my months upon months of amped up anxiety, and certainly hasn't stopped this most recent episode. Neither has the Lamotrigine though, so I'm not sure it's a total indictment on the med, though as you know, my SO has pretty well had it with Abilify. After months at 25mg, I did start to get shaking/trembling, but that is manageable.

I'd rather have the trembling then the sedation of Seroquel, but that's just me.

I like Abilify - it's not perfect, but nothing is. It's worth giving it a chance, anyways, I think.

For me, I'm feeling worse mentally. I haven't noticed any physical side effects.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to give it a chance since I've just been on it two days. I have noticed that I changed ... changed on the inside in a way that I cannot describe but that I would not describe as good. It's very subtle. I'm somewhat less anxious. However the depression has definitely ramped up. I seem to be somewhat more apathetic which is something I don't need.

I guess my problem is that I felt wonderful yesterday during the day, but that suddenly changed during the evening to feeling worse than before I took the Abilify to the point of thinking about suicide. So in the span of 12 hours I went from feeling on top of the world to becoming suicidal. I still have not pulled out of the depressive phase even to get back to where I was before I started it.

Im surprised that 2mg of abilify has any effect at all. I am also concerned that you might be over-medicated. You seem to be on a lot of pills to treat depression. Uppers, downers, mood stabilisers, etc.

A lot of meds that really have no effect at all. Except for carbamazepine and perhaps Abilify. The carbamazepine keeps me out of the hospital. My depression is killing me.

So you get to have the s/e of a bunch of meds that don't work, not to mention all the work your liver is probably doing b/c of them....I'd be having a conversation with my pdoc if I were you. I mean, it's ridiculous right now that I have two AAPs, but that's a hospital thing, I don't think my pdoc would ever keep it that way

So you get to have the s/e of a bunch of meds that don't work, not to mention all the work your liver is probably doing b/c of them....I'd be having a conversation with my pdoc if I were you. I mean, it's ridiculous right now that I have two AAPs, but that's a hospital thing, I don't think my pdoc would ever keep it that way

My pdoc is unwilling to change anything right now. He knows I'm not happy with my meds. I guess he's afraid of removing the wrong one and everything comes crashing down.

That being said, I know that it will take many meds to treat my depression, and I'm not fooling myself into thinking that I can reduce the number of meds. Maybe I can change them, but it is unlikely that I can reduce them. The problem is that AD's provide at most only marginal relief. But when you are on the verge of suicide, even marginal relief is some relief. The med that is the most likely to go away is Lamictal. But not now until we get the other meds sorted out.

Again, I will repeat: each med adds marginal relief. I have not been lucky to respond to meds as some have. The cocktail exists to capitalize on the marginal relief of several different meds.

I feel that the Remeron and the Wellbutrin are doing nothing for me right now, and I want to change it. I want to increase the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and replace the Remeron with Celexa, a med that I know provides a margin of relief because I was on it for five years. If the Wellbutrin at 300 mg doesn't help then it will likely go away also. But until we get the Abilify situation under control, my pdoc doesn't want to change anything else.

ETA: I get no side effects from any of my meds. That's the problem. Sometimes I think they are just sugar pills.

Remember that everybody has different effects from meds--I went off risperdal and onto 1mg (yeah, you read that right) of abilify and bam, my depression was gone. Keep thinking the doc will raise my dose but no dice so far...think he's kinda leery cuz I had issues last time...well, issues at frickin' 30 mg, I don't see why we go to 5 or 10, but I guess if he's happy I'm happy(ish).

If you continue to have probs with the abilify of course talk to your pdoc. Don't let it get too out of hand.

Remember that everybody has different effects from meds--I went off risperdal and onto 1mg (yeah, you read that right) of abilify and bam, my depression was gone. Keep thinking the doc will raise my dose but no dice so far...think he's kinda leery cuz I had issues last time...well, issues at frickin' 30 mg, I don't see why we go to 5 or 10, but I guess if he's happy I'm happy(ish).

If you continue to have probs with the abilify of course talk to your pdoc. Don't let it get too out of hand.

Thanks, CNS. I'm very encouraged that 1 mg helped your depression. I just wondering if the worsening depression is a start-up effect or something more serious to worry about. Or withdrawal from risperidone. I'm going to ride it out for two weeks (1 week 2 mg, 1 week 5 mg) to see what happens. In two weeks, I will call my pdoc and say whether it is helping or not. If not then there's no sense in continuing. It does, however, help with anxiety a lot.

I had read that a 2 mg dose of Abilify was a "placebo" until I took it. Holy crap. It severely aggravated my motion sickness and caused nasty attacks of vertigo. And it also made my intrusive thoughts go away almost completely after just a few days. I just started a higher dose (3 mg) last week and while I didn't have vertigo, I did have restless leg syndrome for 3 or 4 nights, plus insomnia. Those side effects are gone, and my intrusive thoughts are completely gone as well. I do tend to be fairly sensitive to medications, but even these low doses have had quite an effect on me. My energy level is also a lot better.

I took 5 mg earlier today, and I have a headache and anxiety. Real anxiety, not restless legs or anything. My body can be completely still, but my mind is freaking out. God, I hope this is only temporary. I have no good effects from Abilify to report.

I love abilify. I'm surprised you're only on 2mg though. That seems like a very small dose, but I guess in conjunction to all your other meds...? I am on 20mg of abilify and it's been one of my favorites so far (and i've tried a lot). I've found that it gets rid of my psychotic symptoms like the voice I hear and the hallucinations but does nothing for the mania or depression. I know that doesn't sound like it's doing a lot but to have your head be quiet is such a relief. 20mg is as low as I can go. I was up as high as 30mg when I was doing really badly and as I got better we lowered the dosage but anytime it drops below 20mg the voice comes back. I don't have any side effects (which is weird cause I usually get everything)- well, maybe a little weight gain but I can't tell cause the topamax balances it out. It also took some time for the abilify to work. So I wouldn't expect for you to take it and instantaneously feel better. If that happens- Great, but don't plan on it. Good luck and I hope things get better for you!!

I love abilify. I'm surprised you're only on 2mg though. That seems like a very small dose, but I guess in conjunction to all your other meds...? I am on 20mg of abilify and it's been one of my favorites so far (and i've tried a lot). I've found that it gets rid of my psychotic symptoms like the voice I hear and the hallucinations but does nothing for the mania or depression. I know that doesn't sound like it's doing a lot but to have your head be quiet is such a relief. 20mg is as low as I can go. I was up as high as 30mg when I was doing really badly and as I got better we lowered the dosage but anytime it drops below 20mg the voice comes back. I don't have any side effects (which is weird cause I usually get everything)- well, maybe a little weight gain but I can't tell cause the topamax balances it out. It also took some time for the abilify to work. So I wouldn't expect for you to take it and instantaneously feel better. If that happens- Great, but don't plan on it. Good luck and I hope things get better for you!!

Thanks. I'm taking it for depression, and I think that 5 mg is my target dose. I took 5 mg today, and I'm experiencing anxiety and a headache but nothing else. You're post is encouraging to me because you said that it takes some time for the Abilify to work. This is somewhat different from my experience with risperidone where everything it was going to do for me was felt in the first 24 hours. With regard to risperidone, it was more neutral with respect to anxiety. Abilify seemed to calm me at first but has not been helping the last two days.

jt, you said it pretty well as to why you're explaining why both of us are taking so many goddamn meds.

Abilify didn't work for me for a few weeks, just so you know. I don't remember how long it took but I treated it like an antidepressant--take it at the targeted dose for three months and see how you feel.

Archived