CrazyBoards.org

3 meds isn't a million.

What are you prescribed the Depakote for? What dosage are you starting at and what is your target dose?

I've been on 500mg for awhile and though it seems to help a bit, I was not able to go up in dosage without a significant increase in side effects and depression with not further benefits. For me it's been pretty weight-neutral and I have few if any side effects.

I used to take depakote. It worked very well at stabilizing me when I was acutely manic. For me, though, as a maintenance med, it wasn't the best. I know other people here, though, love, love, love, it. I think maybe Anna, for one?

I took Depakote for exactly 1 month. It increased my appetite so much that I was insatiable. I ate and ate and ate everything within sight or reach. I told my pdoc that there was no way I could be on this med, and he took me off. But as SashaSue has said, there are people who absolutely love this med.

I was on Depakote on and off for years. I first tried it before they had an extended release, that was in the 90s. Then after they made an extended release, I used it two further times for a few years each. The first time I lost a lot of weight (I gained it back when I went off of it). The second time I lost a lot of weight, and then gained it back slowly. The third time my weight stayed stable, but too high (which has nothing to do with the depakote).

I ultimately stopped it because it killed my libido stone cold dead, and it sucks to be married to a eunuch, or to be the eunuch in a marriage. But a lot of people on here find it totally neutral in terms of their libido.

Oh, and this was always for migraine, depakote has no effect on my mood. I was on 1500 a day when I quit about 15 months ago (well, I titrated down, you should never stop cold-turkey).

I started a few weeks ago for BP II, went up to 1000mg last week and so far it seems to be working great. I started Abilify a few months before that and honestly couldn't feel much of anything happening with it, but the effect from Depakote is actually noticeable. The one side-effect I've noticed so far is that its making me tired (going to bed early, running slower, etc), but my pdoc says that should go away as my body gets used to it... we'll see, I guess.

Depakote weight gain is often highly dose dependent, really. It gets a bad rap for weight gain if you are on too high a dose, and tends to increase appetite when doses are high. I find the AAPs far worse offenders than anything over 1500 m.g. of dep. ER is suppposed to have a slightly better reputation as far as weight gain goes.

If you find yourself gaining due to appetite increase only, it might be worth looking at a slight drop, etc., in dose, prior to dumping it entirely. It's a great med for those whose symptoms really warrant it (like me).

Anna

Later this week I'm upping to 1000mg and that is my target dose. I haven't noticed an increase in appetite yet, although I do crave carbs a lot more. I feel like so much with psych meds is dose dependent but especially side effects.

With depakote you take blood tests to make sure you are in the therapeutic range. It worked really well for me as a mood stabilizer. I did gain weight because of the carb cravings, but when I cut-down on carbs I lost the weight I had gained.

Later this week I'm upping to 1000mg and that is my target dose. I haven't noticed an increase in appetite yet, although I do crave carbs a lot more. I feel like so much with psych meds is dose dependent but especially side effects.

With depakote you take blood tests to make sure you are in the therapeutic range. It worked really well for me as a mood stabilizer. I did gain weight because of the carb cravings, but when I cut-down on carbs I lost the weight I had gained.

I'm going for a blood test next week after I've been on 1000mg for a bit.

I'm on 1500 mg of depakote ER. After first being scared shitless over it, I came here and got some sage advice.

Take it with food. Like dinnertime amount of food. In fact, I take all my mental meds right after dinner.

Get regular blood levels checked and also your liver enzymes. I get mine tested every three months, or a couple of weeks after a dosage increase.

I get ravenously hungry on this med. It sucks, but you have to stock your fridge with lo-cal snacks. I am at the ending stages of having braces, so there's lots of good-for-you food I can't eat right now. While I will say I am hungrier than when I was on zyprexa, I definitely gained more weight on vitamin Z than on depakote. I gained about 10 pounds in four months, and have lost about 5 of those pounds through healthier snacking, so I definitely think that the weight can be managed.

Archived