CrazyBoards.org

Do Bipolars function better in darkness?

Well, it really depends on what kind of symptoms you're having. As the article says, dark therapy tends to work best for hypo/mania, rapid cycling, and maybe mixed states. If you've got a depressive episode happening atm, it's probably not going to help much.

It's not going to make anything worse, either, so might as well give it a try. Let us know how it works out!

There is some interesting research out there on circadian rhythms and how the affect bipolar, I know Stahl covers some of it on his site. His dark/light therapy page is really one of his best, I feel.

I used to cycle that way during the seasons, but moving to AZ has pretty much put paid to that. The balance of sunlight is much more even, so what I find is that stress is more what sets off an episode for me, and though I have had had some depressions, they are stress related, usually, rather than seasonal related. Back on the east coast, I pretty much gritted my teeth and suffered through a yearly winter depression and NEVER found the right med to adequately treat it. Halloween was my favorite holiday, mainly because I knew it was the last one I would enjoy. It was awful.

So yes, I would think a happy medium needs to be in place. This can be done using light/dark therapy (either blocking light as needed in summertime, and using a full spectrum light box in the winter). Some people find this extremely effective, for others it doesn't do much. But I do think there is enough research out there to support trying it. Light boxes can be expensive, however.

Dark therapy would be totally inapppropriate for derpression and probably worsen it, I would assume.

Anna

There is some interesting research out there on circadian rhythms and how the affect bipolar, I know Stahl covers some of it on his site. His dark/light therapy page is really one of his best, I feel.

I used to cycle that way during the seasons, but moving to AZ has pretty much put paid to that. The balance of sunlight is much more even, so what I find is that stress is more what sets off an episode for me, and though I have had had some depressions, they are stress related, usually, rather than seasonal related. Back on the east coast, I pretty much gritted my teeth and suffered through a yearly winter depression and NEVER found the right med to adequately treat it. Halloween was my favorite holiday, mainly because I knew it was the last one I would enjoy. It was awful.

So yes, I would think a happy medium needs to be in place. This can be done using light/dark therapy (either blocking light as needed in summertime, and using a full spectrum light box in the winter). Some people find this extremely effective, for others it doesn't do much. But I do think there is enough research out there to support trying it. Light boxes can be expensive, however.

Dark therapy would be totally inapppropriate for derpression and probably worsen it, I would assume.

Anna

You have a link to stahls site? couldn't find it

I worked third for ten years and I stayed in a depressive state the only thing that would pull me out was stress,, well I have been on day shift for a few months now and every thing has changed including my medication and I am less depressed and if anything I verge on hypomania I would say that it was for the better to go to day shift and that was done through my pdoc orders

Archived