CrazyBoards.org

Do most people with schizophrenia experience depression prior to an episode?

I have psychosis NOS so I hope that you don't mind me answering.

I hope that I am understanding you correctly. But I tend to isolate myself or not eat or not sleep or stuff like that around my episodes, or have a lot of frustration and confusion, or lack of motivation. I'd guess that these are possible symptoms of depression, but for me because I do not have any mood issues they are probably something else. In my case it is probably anxiety because anxiety is my biggest symptom.

I have had depression before and that was a completely different kettle of fish. Though I guess it is completely possible to have situational depression, though for me it was after an episode not before (my depression was situational).

For me the additional experiences tend to be through the episode with a bit on either side, if that makes sense.

Is it that you currently feel depressed and are worried about this being a warning sign? If so then it is best talking to pdoc (in case you need to change your meds), or at the very least tdoc (to get some coping skills to stop this becoming another episode). If not then ignore me.

Jarn is right. The negative symptoms of schizophrenia can mimic depression.

"Negative symptoms are deficits of normal emotional responses or of other thought processes, and respond less well to medication.[6] They commonly include flat or blunted affect and emotion, poverty of speech (alogia), inability to experience pleasure (anhedonia), lack of desire to form relationships (asociality), and lack of motivation (avolition). Research suggests that negative symptoms contribute more to poor quality of life, functional disability, and the burden on others than do positive symptoms.[21] People with prominent negative symptoms often have a history of poor adjustment before the onset of illness, and response to medication is often limited.[6][22]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Guest Vapourware

I've heard of post-psychotic depression, but pre-psychotic depression? I haven't come across that, yet?

Here's an article on post-psychotic depression: http://www.psyweb.com/articles/depression/post-psychotic-depression

It is described as occurring after an episode of schizophrenia, is a depressive mood and still contains some elements of schizophrenia.

However, speaking of personal experience, I think the majority of my psychotic experiences have had a depressive precursor.

I think maybe too that some negative symptoms look like depression? For instance, not bathing

I completely forgot about that. Yes but I haven't gona as far as not bathing yet. But I do have "blunted affect" which my psychiatrist said has gotten much better. And I was constantly crying, feeling worthless, guilty, having racing thoughts, anxiety, etc.

I would think that it is possible to have both negative sx of schizophrenia and a depression on top of it, really. It would probably be difficult to separate out.

That said, depression medications can sometimes help with both issues, though the negative sx of schizophrenia are typically more difficult to treat, than actual depression, IIRC.

Anna

Archived