CrazyBoards.org

I have read some other posts on CB lately about negative symptoms. First i was wondering is people with schizo-affective disorder get negative symptoms? And then i was wondering how can you tell if it is depression or negative symptoms?

1.A few weeks ago i would have said my mood was stable and i wasn't depressed because my mood felt normal, well don't depressed but i still had trouble with showering and left it a week or two between showering, because i couldn't be bothered which is a tad embarrassing. I didn't enjoy or get pleasure from doing anything and i had no drive to do anything, and had heads of trouble with motivation but my mood wasn't sad as general. I didn't have anytime laughing at not good times or any time but i couldn't cry or cried when wasn't a good time such as watching a tv show that wasn't sad but a happy bit. and had/have terrible concentration, at times i couldn't read a even a line of writing. or watch 10 mins of tv.

2. But now i feel more depressed in my mood, i am tired all the time, i still have bad concentration, and have trouble with hygiene, have trouble with motivation and doing things such as chores or anything. Don't feel any pleasure but i can laugh and cry and it isn't at weird times as much. I lose words and they are on the tip of my tongue but i can't remember it.

If its possible to have negative symptoms if you have schizo-affective disorder than how do you tell if it is negative symptoms or depression? What i have described in 1 and 2 comments, does it sound like negative symptoms or depression ?maybe its my personality ?as its been like this since i can remember, I had one year a few years ago when i was very good and didn't have meany problems with hygiene and motivation and enjoying things, but i don't know.

Any ideas?

Hey, I have a very basic understanding of the terminology so I pulled a bit from an article on schiz

"People diagnosed with schizophrenia usually experience a combination of positive (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, racing thoughts), negative (i.e. apathy, lack of emotion, poor or nonexistant social functioning), and cognitive (disorganized thoughts, difficulty concentrating and/or following instructions, difficulty completing tasks, memory problems)."

What you are describing in 1 are mostly negative symptoms, and yes, it is possible to have negative symptoms with schitzoaffective, as well as bipolar, schitz, hell... anything, including sanity. The way i understand it, negative symptoms are deficits, your lacking something you would otherwise expect to have. For me I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features and blah blah blah, as such I have turbulent moods and hallucinations, but I also have poor social skills, which i didn't before the "big bang" and tend to be apathetic to other peoples problems or troubles. In both cases I'm missing something.

You seem to be experiencing avolition (lack of motivation) and anhedonia (lack of pleasure or inability to experience it), as well some cognitive difficulty. A number of antidepressants are said to work wonders for these issues.

Best of luck, and I'm here if you have any questions (though i'm sure i messed something up somewhere in there, you should bring this up with your doctor)

Guest Vapourware

Firstly yes, it is possible that you can get negative symptoms with schizoaffective.

It can be hard to distinguish between negative symptoms and depression because the symptoms can overlap, but IMO, I think if you feel that your mood is stable and not depressed, yet you're having problems with motivation and pleasure, then it could be negative symptoms. I think it's a good idea to touch base with your doctor and see what they think about your symptoms. I think this is also when a mood chart of some sort can come in handy.

I guess I'm one on the luckier ones who haven't really had much to do with negative symptoms. I may have had some last year after my last psychotic episode because I think I was rather unmotivated and apathetic, and stayed in bed a lot of the time.

Thank you for that, I have heaps of problems with socializing and poeple in general. Don't know why, it just seems poeple find me weird or something, i just perfer to have a few people like my boyfriend and my sister and then that's it and i am kinda happy with that, i am normally fine with them 2. So is having trouble with social situation a negative symptom too?

I have what looks like mild negative symptoms (I hear ya on the not bathing thing, if I'm not working out, a week is common, and let's not get into how often I wash my hair, even when I am working out). Motivation can also be an issue.

My pdoc said not to pathologize everything. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I'm just a dirty person and it's not negative symptoms? It definitely happens outside of depression. I just don't care if I am dirty.

Oh, and my dx is Bipolar with Psychotic Features, though sza has been tossed around....apparently I'm 'too high-functioning' for the dx though everyone agrees I've had psychotic stuff outside of mood episodes.

I have long wondered if MI isn't a spectrum with schizophrenia on one end and depression on the other end because I have depression and I am beseiged with symptoms that are exactly like negative symptoms of schizophrenia. They are not always mood dependent either. No MI professional wants to hear this and wants to view sz and sza as completely distinct disorders from depression, but I'm no so sure. Some people with depression even get positive symptoms (psychosis, psychotic depression). Plus, AAP's help some people with depression. Even typical AP's were known to help some people with depression because, back in the day, Triaval = Trilafon + Elavil was the Symbyax of its time.

I have problems with negative symptoms and I have schizoaffective. I have problems with motivation and showering (I force myself to do it every 2-3 days), cleaning my house and experiencing pleasure. I'm bored most of the time. This happens when my mood is fine, so I guess maybe that's why they are considered negative symptoms.

I have problems with negative symptoms and I have schizoaffective. I have problems with motivation and showering (I force myself to do it every 2-3 days), cleaning my house and experiencing pleasure. I'm bored most of the time. This happens when my mood is fine, so I guess maybe that's why they are considered negative symptoms.

You just summed up my symptoms perfectly, and I'm not sza.

Thank you for that, I have heaps of problems with socializing and poeple in general. Don't know why, it just seems poeple find me weird or something, i just perfer to have a few people like my boyfriend and my sister and then that's it and i am kinda happy with that, i am normally fine with them 2. So is having trouble with social situation a negative symptom too?

I get this a lot, but for me it is probably a personality trait mixed with anxiety. I feel that I can't relate to people, like I am living on a different planet from them, which does get worse when I'm having a psychotic episode.

There are things that happen to me which may be associated with depression - such as not having motivation, not being able to eat, social isolating myself because I can't face people, not being able to sleep (actually intertwined very much with my hallucinations), and things like that. Though I have not had any depression since 2009. I would say that, for me, these things happen before during and after a psychotic episode. For me I put it down to anxiety but it could be any number of things. The reason that I separate this from depression is the lack of mood symptoms.

Archived