CrazyBoards.org

MDD with mixed features

Does anyone know what Major Depressive Disorder with mixed features is? I know about MDD, atypical MDD, MDD with psychotic features, and bipolar depression. What what are these mixed features?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at clinical trials going on in my area and found this.

Ok. So it's more related to bipolar than major depressive disorder?

That's what the DSM5 is trying to change, from what I understand.

Under the current scheme, such symptoms would probably be lumped under Bipolar, but by adding a "mixed features" specifier to the criteria for MDD, it means that you actually can have some of these symptoms and NOT be bipolar, which is the direction they are trying to move in, from what I can understand.

What the difference will be between MDD with mixed features and Bipolar NOS with subsyndromal hypomania, I'm not totally sure. I guess because subsyndromal hypomania would be a discrete episode.

In the DSM 5, there will no longer be a "mixed episode". In a mixed episode according to current DSM IV criteria, full criteria are met for mania AND depression at the same time.

In the DSM5, there is no mixed episode, only "mixed features" specifiers applied to manic, hypomanic, or depressive episodes. In depression with mixed features, major depressive episode criteria are met, but full criteria for mania are NOT met. If full criteria for both are met, this will now be considered a manic episode "with mixed features".

Under the current scheme, such symptoms would probably be lumped under Bipolar, but by adding a "mixed features" specifier to the criteria for MDD, it means that you actually can have some of these symptoms and NOT be bipolar, which is the direction they are trying to move in, from what I can understand.

What the difference will be between MDD with mixed features and Bipolar NOS with subsyndromal hypomania, I'm not totally sure. I guess because subsyndromal hypomania would be a discrete episode.

My problem I guess is that it talks about "mood episodes." I have MDD, and it is pretty much chronic and not episodic. I guess I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my brain around it. Still thinking in terms of bipolar.

My problem I guess is that it talks about "mood episodes." I have MDD, and it is pretty much chronic and not episodic. I guess I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my brain around it. Still thinking in terms of bipolar.

Wouldn't that just be a very, very long episode? Not totally sure what is confusing you here.

In the DSM 5, there will no longer be a "mixed episode". In a mixed episode according to current DSM IV criteria, full criteria are met for mania AND depression at the same time.

In the DSM5, there is no mixed episode, only "mixed features" specifiers applied to manic, hypomanic, or depressive episodes. In depression with mixed features, major depressive episode criteria are met, but full criteria for mania are NOT met. If full criteria for both are met, this will now be considered a manic episode "with mixed features".

OK, then this is really a different animal from MDD. But again, the DSM5 is talking about major depressive episodes, but from the study I'm reading, it's talking about major depressive DISORDER.

That's the point, it's NOT a different animal. That's why they added the specifier - because they believe that the MDD label does encompass a certain amount of these symptoms without needing to be in bipolar land.

Major depressive disorder is just a collection of one or more major depressive episodes. If you have had at least one MDE, you have MDD.

That's the point, it's NOT a different animal. That's why they added the specifier - because they believe that the MDD label does encompass a certain amount of these symptoms without needing to be in bipolar land.

Major depressive disorder is just a collection of one or more major depressive episodes. If you have had at least one MDE, you have MDD.

Ok. Got it. It all makes sense now. Thanks, tryp.

Archived