CrazyBoards.org

do you guys feel the police are "powerless"?

crywolf2010

im bored so i thought i might ask u guys something.

how often do you feel absolutely frightened coz of some person threatening you. verbally abusing you. bullying you.? or whatever and the police cant do squat coz the offender ' DIDN'T ' touch you. what im trying to get at is.. that as long as youre not "physically" harmed the police cant do anything?

i guess being stabbed 20 times is worse than someone calling you a dickhead and spitting on you

The police aren't paid to do anything but uphold the law, and I could lawfully call you a dickhead if I felt so inclined (not that I am calling you a dickhead). Unfortunately in a lot of scenarios the police are powerless, they can't act on anything without proof, or at least probable cause in some cases. It's just the way of the world, an immoral cop with bad intentions could do immense amounts of damage and get rewarded, while a righteous cop could often not act on something very obvious because of a sentence on a piece of paper.

But I'm going off on a tangent here, you shouldn't expect a cop to keep someone from hurting your feelings, a lot of people just suck, try and avoid them and don't give them more ammunition.

im bored so i thought i might ask u guys something.

how often do you feel absolutely frightened coz of some person threatening you. verbally abusing you. bullying you.? or whatever and the police cant do squat coz the offender ' DIDN'T ' touch you. what im trying to get at is.. that as long as youre not "physically" harmed the police cant do anything?

i guess being stabbed 20 times is worse than someone calling you a dickhead and spitting on you

I'm going to go ahead and say being stabbed once is worse than someone calling you a dickhead and spitting on you. But that could just be me, I don't really feel like being stabbed any time soon.

Then again, if someone was being rude to me and then spat on me, I could just flatten them. And it would be self defence. I mean it wouldn't be warrented, but theres nothing saying you can't do it*.

*=You probably can't do it, the laws depend on what state and country you live in. Where I live someone yelling threats of physical harm at you is assault. If they spit on you its battery.

It really depends where you live, but I think spitting (if it lands on you) could be addressed by the police.

Also, you can go and get a restraining order for this. Usually, it involves filling out a form documenting the incident(s) of bullying, spitting, etc., and taking it before either a judge or a magistrate (bring police reports with you, as well) who will sign the order. If there is a restraining order and this person approaches you, the police can THEN do something to the person for violating the order. It also pretty much informs the offender that they must stay a certain distance away.

I have filed restraining orders successfully in the past.

Anna

Lookup assault and battery. Assault doesn't require touching - "An intentional, unlawful threat or "offer" to cause bodily injury to another by force." Battery requires touching - spitting on you is battery.

Given the proliferation of mobile phones with video capture ability, it should be quite easy to capture evidence against your tormentor. After the video, photograph the spit on you. Capture the spit with a Q-tip and store it in a ziplock bag. Then walk into a police station and file a criminal complaint. Now, the prosecuting attorney may decline to prosecute - but before that, your tormentor would have received some unwelcome law enforcement attention.

Of course, IANAL; perhaps crtlcms will chime in (she is a lawyer).

I have a friend, wait I have an ex friend with a personality disorder ha ha and she SPIT on someone and spent a weekend in counrty jail. Then she had to go to court, and the whole thing cost her thousands of dollars and a lot of time and stress. She had to hire a criminal attorney and they are not cheap. So, it is a serious offense in my state.

And this was all just a lesbian love triangle issue which escalated to spitting.

Unfortunately in a lot of scenarios the police are powerless, they can't act on anything without proof

act on it? as in lock 'em up? i guess if they lock people up for verbally taunting someone the police would be doing overtime and half the population would be in prison.

I wasn't referring to verbal assault, I was speaking generally. Often times the police have issues with nailing down enough damning evidence before they can file charges.

I have a friend, wait I have an ex friend with a personality disorder ha ha and she SPIT on someone and spent a weekend in counrty jail. Then she had to go to court, and the whole thing cost her thousands of dollars and a lot of time and stress. She had to hire a criminal attorney and they are not cheap. So, it is a serious offense in my state.

And this was all just a lesbian love triangle issue which escalated to spitting.

A weekend in jail and some court dates doesn't really sound like my idea of a serious offense. But I guess it's all relative.

A weekend in jail and some court dates doesn't really sound like my idea of a serious offense. But I guess it's all relative.

I think a weekend in JAIL and $4000 for a criminal attorney was serious punishment for spitting on someone. Not that I would ever spit on someone but I think she was penalized adequately. She certainly never wants to overreact and be part of the criminal court system again.

Guest Vapourware

Heh, being police is hard sometimes. Do <x> and you're called "abusing your powers" or "over-regulating". Don't do <x> and you're called "powerless" ;)

IMO? Sometimes citizens just have to learn to deal with some issues themselves. Conflict resolution is a valuable skill to learn.

hehe... living in the ghetto means seeing "conflict resolution" at work every day! nobody, and i mean NOBODY calls the cops. the resolutions that result are... interesting. definitely harsher than anything the police department could get away with! there's a strong belief that cops are going to do just what you said, Vape... either with an abuse of power, or a total lack of interest. unfortunately it's often true. not saying these are all innocent people by far - there's just a bigger sense of justice being done when it's enacted by the citizens involved. the latest example i can think of is a sexual assault on a minor girl last week. she and her family believe that going to the cops is futile since she can't prove it, and her attacker would never be convicted even if they did arrest him. so you can imagine what happens when "friends of the family" decide to "resolve the conflict". the dude is still alive, but he'll never show his face in that community again. and oh, he definitely required that free Canadian health care....

i wish that i had lived in a community like that growing up. telling on a man who molested me resulted in the police laughing with the perp right in front of me, after they asked me horribly sexually graphic questions for hours (i was eleven years old and had never said any of those words out loud). they questioned him for five minutes. he was drunk out of his mind. they exchanged jokes while i watched and listened. they sent him home and told my mother not to bother pressing charges. to this day i would be just as happy to dance on their graves as the pervert who actually committed the crime.

so yeah i have issues with cops.

it is a complicated issue. i think both systems of justice are screwed up. but i wouldn't know where to begin to fix it.

When I was an intern at a D.A.'s office, almost every day I sat in on Asst. D.A.s begging the cop who was on their case not to lie on the stand. Mostly unsuccessfully. So when people get on their high horse and yammer about "The Thin Blue Line," and berate people who think *just maybe* a cop lied, I roll my eyes.

Police have their uses, but I avoid them if possible. I wouldn't want one testifying against me in court, that is for damn sure. And I've seen defense attorneys prove that a cop is lying, and the cop just goes right back on the beat after the trial, they aren't even disciplined, let alone charged.

I don't have problems with police or CPS oddly. I mean, I think they suck at times, and all that, but they're mostly doing the best they can with what they have.

That said, running into a deviant police officer and or CPS worker really, really sucks.

I do think that overall, the justice system tries to be fair. That said, yes, there are many major problems with it.

After having lived in a "take care of your own" situation with drug addicts, dealers, hookers, and pimps, I would MUCH rather deal with the cops. That said, that was Baltimore and people were not..... uh.... very nice. Or helpful. And stuff.

I really make the effort to live a "good" life in the sense that I use lawyers, police, and such to resolve problems. That said, when our SUV was hotwired and so unsuccesfully that they busted it the police were completely ineffectual and used powdered ink and scotch tape to get fingerprints! Sigh. Tucson, you really fucking suck. Also, your laws SUCK ASS. They really freaking do. The stories I could tell.....

That said, if you keep your side of the street clean and do what's necessary, it is possible to get through difficult situations.

Really, tbh, the thing I would MOST want to have on my side is a really sharp, really expensive lawyer, man. They are the bomb. Etc. I'm dealing with severing m ex's parental rights, and my lawyer is The Bomb.

Anna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived