CrazyBoards.org

hamster(ing) about

Hi Hamster! Welcome to Crazyboards.

I smoked for 38 years and I also have depression, so I guess we're in the same boat. However, when I quit, I did it through a quit program at my local hospital, so I had a counselor. I had tried to quit at least 15 times before, but this was the first time I got help.....and it worked!

Now, at 7 weeks, I would guess that the nicotine is leaving your system. I used the patch to get me through the first 6 weeks, stepping down on the strength of the patches every two weeks. I don't think that your symptoms are unusual at all. If you have a therapist and a psychiatrist, you might want to consult with them to see if there is a medication you might take on a temporary basis to help you through this.

As you may know, Wellbutrin is used to help people quit smoking---under the name Zyban. That might be one alternative to try.

I would also suggest drinking HUGE amounts of water. You will flush the toxins out of your system more quickly with a lot of liquids. Go easy on the coffee and tea if caffeine makes you jittery.

You might try some exercise if you're not already doing it. Get outside in the sunshine for at least 15 minutes every day and take a brisk walk. You need the Vitamin D for your depression, and aerobic exercise is great for your all-around health.

DON'T START SMOKING again. You've come through the worst part of it. You don't want to have to quit all over again. I have COPD and I struggle with breathlessness and exercise-induced asthma, and I'm convinced that smoking did it.

If you want to start a blog and talk about it, everyone in Blogland will be very encouraging and supportive of your efforts. We also have an addictions forum, and you are welcome to start a thread there about quitting and how you are having a hard time.

My addictions counselor told me that nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin, so please please please don't light up. You can get through this. I know it's horrible, but you can do it.

Keep us posted!

olga

That's pretty much why I joined 6 years ago. I was just depressed and overwhelmed, and it was a great comfort to me to find people who were in the same boat.

Let one of the staff know if there is anything you don't understand. We're here to help!

olga

I'm another ex-smoker and want to encourage you to do whatever is necessary to not start again. You've made it through the worst even if it means your depression has been lit off. That can be addressed. Do you have a psychiatrist or a GP who knows about antidepressants and smoking? As Olga suggested, something like Welbutrin might help you make the transition.

It is not uncommon for smoking cessation to kick off some mental issues. You are not alone in that. For example, those with bipolar can end up with mania or depression sparked depending on nicotine dependence and illness. Medication can often resolve that and be tapered over time so that you end up where you started med-wise.

Edit to add left out sentence.

Edited by Stacia

Also just wanted to say welcome and hello... We have something in common.... I seem to have "caught" severe depression as well; about eight years ago now.

Who knows how long it may have gone undiagnosed before that; 2003 was when I was declared officially depressed

Also trying to quit smoking; have had some success for weeks at a time, but am currently smoking again. "Only" about six a day I keep saying - it could be worse. But it could be better, right?

Funny thing is, when I became pregnant for the first time (the baby is now a 30 year old brand-new psychologist) I quit IMMEDIATELY - had no desire to smoke before,during, or after pregnancy.....and never wanted to smoke in front of my kids or at home.....didn't pick up another cigarette for decades. Weird, huh?

The trigger was my mom having a terminal illness and subsequently passing away . . . . we'd stand inside a secret place in the hospital parking lot (hiding from our aunts, uncles and most of all our dad - - even though we were all very grown up by then.

But I'm hijacking YOUR hello thread so "welcome and hello"again. . I've been lurking around for a long time now and this seems like very good - and very REAL- place to be!

FlamelessCandle ('cause I feel like the flame went out.....)

I joined when I was trying to quit smoking too. I got a lot of help from people around here for that, it was really nice. Two years smoke-free now.

Anyway, welcome to the boards and try to keep at quitting smoking if you can, you'll really feel a lot better in the long-run!

• 1 year later...

Welcome back---you are always welcome here. We have an exercise thread, where we all report in to each other on what we did that day for exercise. Some of us are walking for half an hour, some of us do vigorous stuff at a gym---we are not the "buff and ripped" crowd. Join in if you would like to get going on an exercise program.

I hope you stick around and make some friends. This is a great bunch of people.

olga