CrazyBoards.org

communication difficulties

lately my ability to speak coherently has declined a lot, i find myself having a very difficult time articulating the complex thoughts buzzing around my head (except in writing, somewhat). I also have a difficult time thinking clearly in general, when i'm asked simple questions, i hesitate and then give long-winded replies along with related examples and irrelevant tangents. my communication issues make my social anxiety a lot worse, i don't go out very much anymore. but my all around anxiety seems under control. although sometimes i zone out while talking, might be dissociation. Could this be related to having had ECT nearly two months ago (thinking and speaking issues came up occasionally but i was much more coherent right after ECTs than I am now, at least i think so..) or could it be med related? in a previous post user Dymphna responded to me saying Risperdal would be more suitable for those on the spectrum whereas Abilify "definitely NOT" (those words exactly). could it be reemergence of psychotic symptoms, and therefore I need a higher AAP dose? to me doubtful because while I was waiting for the ABilify to begin working I didn't have these issues as much or could it just be me? I doubt this as I used to be able to speak quickly and coherently. it simply frustrates me that i can't communicate with others easily, it's alienating.. the meds are still current but i may meet with my doctor soon to increase the prozac cause my depression seems to be coming back (occasionally it occurs)

It could be some "negative" symptoms, or it still could be anxiety even though you think that it is under control. Or it could be both or something else entirely. Unfortunately, we can't diagnose you. You should bring these symptoms up with your tdoc and pdoc. Obviously, it's bothering you. Can you try to get in to see your pdoc sooner?

Can't say to what degree Abilify or an increase in Abilify will help. I'm still trying to get my problems with Abilify straightened out. I think 7.5 mg is a low dose though since I just took 5 mg and it was like a sugar pill. This is for you and your pdoc to work out. I think that if you get the right dose of Abilify, it will also help with depression.

Risperidone is a good med, and it may help with some of your symptoms, but it didn't do anything for my depression. I'd go with the Abilify that your pdoc prescribed. The important thing is to keep your pdoc informed as to how you are doing.

lately my ability to speak coherently has declined a lot, i find myself having a very difficult time articulating the complex thoughts buzzing around my head (except in writing, somewhat). I also have a difficult time thinking clearly in general, when i'm asked simple questions, i hesitate and then give long-winded replies along with related examples and irrelevant tangents.

There is a symptom, usually associated with psychotic illness, called Formal Thought Disorder, which indicates disorder in the form of one's words and thoughts, as opposed to their content. Functionally it rises to the level of a symptom when it interferes with communication, or otherwise impedes clear thinking. It's usually diagnosed by listening to the patient speak. If yours rises to the level of a symptom, the types of FTD that seem relevant to at least consider from reading your brief description are circumstantiality, tangentiality and possibly loose association/derailment. Tell your pdoc about these experiences.

ETA: completing a sentence

Null, do other people tell you you have a problem communicating? Or, is this something you alone perceive?

It depends on who i'm talking to, my parents no, but we keep conversations short. they say that i'm a lot better than when i just finished the treatments. but my friend can definitely tell there's something going on, he doesn't talk about it much, but it definitely affects the quality of our conversations. so in honest answer, mostly it's something that I see. but i'm not stupid, when i perceive something within myself and others overlook it that doesn't mean it isn't there.. if you're going to tell me that i'm being too hard on myself then i guess didn't make myself clear... like i'm telling someone about something obvious WITHIN myself but people are going to brush it off cause they can't experience it or i can't describe it precisely enough.

Guest Vapourware

Moved from the ASD board, as this isn't really about ASD issues [that I can see, anyways].

Anyways, negative symptoms and thought disorder are two issues that also come to mind regarding your communication difficulties.

Archived