CrazyBoards.org

Hormones

(not sure if this is the right place this)

I'm transgender and am currently on hormones, which everyone seems to be focusing on in terms of my new bipolar diagnosis. Everyone from the psychs in the psych ward to 'knowledgeable' friends all seemed to think my hormones were a key factor. Asking me if my mood swings were related to my ("artificial") hormone cycle (which they weren't), and so forth...

I don't see it that way, a factor more than likely, but not a key one. I don't see my hormone status as any different from that of any other woman (despite lack progesterone), would they all have focused so much on the hormones if I was a ciswoman?

Is there any credence to the focus being placed upon my hormones? I know they're a factor in mood changes and affectedness, but are they such a big factor in relation to bipolar?

I think being a woman, with cyclical hormones, can make it harder to feel out what is hormonal vs what is not, especially if you rapid cycle.

For me, for a time, my cycles were very quick - 4-6 weeks of "ok but headed down hill" with a peak of mixed or down, then maybe some ok months, then all over again. That lead me, then a natuopath, both thinking I must be suffering PMDD. She watched me and we charted 3 mood cycles in 3 months. Then we started treatment with progesterone cream from ovulation to menstruation, and herbs, etc. But my mood kept cycling. Except, slowly, my cycles were no longer lining up with my hormones. So I tried quitting the progesterone cream. My cycles didn't get better, but they didn't get worse, either. Took me several more dr visits to a GP, and finally a pdoc, to get diagnosed BPI.

All that to say - even when no artificial hormones were initially involved, the very first thing that was suggested in my case what that my moods were hormone related.

I was not diagnosed bipolar and did not need medication until I was pregnant with my first child when my levels of progesterone and estrogen soared. Specifically, I was given progesterone suppositories in very large doses for 9 weeks. It was definitely the hormones that set off my bipolar disorder, though it had always been there before, just not at a constant level where I sought treatment for it.

For the same reason, I can't take hormonal birth control pills. That's the case for many women-- hormonal birth control causes or aggravates mood disorders.

A lot of women experience their first clinical depressions or cycles of bipolar disorder during menopause.

To say that hormones don't play a factor for trans or cis gendered women would be to discount the experience of many, many women.

I can't speak to your case personally, but from what I've seen and read it's entirely likely that the hormones potentiated the bipolar disorder, but you probably had the underlying potential for it anyway.

Well, that put me in my place, thanks though :)

I did print out my mood chart that I've been keeping via an app on my phone, and I did notice a subtle pattern that kinda lined up with my hormones...

I guess they're a factor. Which sucks really... :P

PMS totally threw me for a depressive loop prior to Effexor. Now it's a lot more level. Of course, I need something to balance out the Effexor, so more meds for me, heh. Oh well. Womanhood has it's good points, at least.

this affects men also a few years back I went to my gp whom was handling my bp back then and I was pissing and moaning about not wanting to do anything from mowing the grass to working on the car ,the house I had lost interest in sex to the point that I wasnt even checking good looking women out I figured it was depression related and I thought he was going to adjust my meds but instead he ran this mysterious blood work on me and there it was I had extremely low testosterone so after a few types of application's we settled on me giving myself injections and I am still on this hormone every two weeks and if I dont I get the same symptoms as depression so it is definetly a BP trigger for me

Archived