CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar + Anxiety

well there you go it's in black and gad sad are comorbid with bp and its genetic the part that I really couldnt get was the part about antidepressants to handle gad that was a little over my head did you read that and if you did and you got anything out of it let me know thanks squirmy

Oddly, I finally had GAD added to my diagnosis, even though my p-doc and I never discussed it. Odd because it was someone here who made me first think I had GAD (I thought it was part of the BPII) within the last few months. On one level, it is being treated, so whatever. But it was strange that it showed up on my chart (the abridged version my PPO gives me access too) right before I was going to bring it up.

Perfect timing on this. In the last few weeks I've started to realize the level of anxiety I feel. I always thought it was a stressful job, or because I wasn't sleeping or a personality quirk. But the list of things that cause stress (or maybe mild panic) is growing. IT's starting to make sense now. I'll talk to potential new pdoc about it today.

Well, I have BP and ADHD, but was never dx with PTSD until my DBT therapist got a hold of me. Hahaha, I have some form of combat PTSD due to being in drug warfare early in my life, and getting out of it. This is kind of an interesting concept to me. I mean, I knew I had abuse issues and some form of PTSD that I just really kinda worked through with my therapist at the time, and I'm a lot better, but she treats me like a vet.

To be honest, it's kind of been really helpful. I mean, I'm not a vet, but yeah, having guns waved in yr face, and like, dealing with all the shit that goes along with that lifestyle...Baltimore has the highest murder rate. So technically, I'm not combat PTSD, I guess, but it helps explain to me some symptoms I have that have never really made sense to me before. Also, I am learning how to manage it, which is extremely helpful. I can still go into soldier mode (screening out all information that isn't going to like, kill me, getting isolated, thinking I have the best plan-- usually a bad plan, at least for my CURRENT life-- but eh. It's all good).

I had anxiety long before the BP dx I think.... I guess I'd be comorbid or something, though my anxiety does get worse a) in stressful situations and b) when I have mood lability.

To be honest though, I don't think I have most of my dx listed other than BP. It really is my primary dx and I'd rather just have one. At the moment. As I have a court hearing coming up, possibly, and I don't want to look crazier than I do already.

But it is fascinating to look at my life through the lens of this dx, and makes so many things make sense.

Anna

I've had extreme anxiety since I was about 4 (shitty parents), but my actual bipolar didn't hit me until I was about 18. So my issues are unrelated. I get anxious almost every day, but haven't had a mood episode in more than 4 months now - knock on wood.

I do think that GAD can be genetic. For example, my mother called me right in the middle of my dinner (she knows what time we eat) because it had been 6 days since she moved out of her apartment and her landlord hadn't given her deposit back yet, and she said the lady wasn't answering her phone calls and emails. My mom was really worked up until I told her the landlord had 30 days to return the deposit, and maybe she didn't need to try and get ahold of her twice a day every day. Next day she said her landlady called and had mailed her the deposit back.

Archived