CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc has Alzheimer`s, I think. I called him today to tell him what I've been telling him for months; "I CAN'T SLEEP!!!" I could sleep before the Wellbutrin. My brain won't shut down. It never has, since I was a kid. So he called in a prescription for Neurontin to help me sleep.

All I wanted was something I could take for a couple of days.

Has anyone heard of Neurontin being used like this? I want to know more before I take it tonight.

I would seriously consider backing down on the Wellbutrin, especially if you could sleep before it, and now can't.

My link read this about possible Wellbutrin issues http://www.crazymeds...Aplezin.Aplezin

Also, no, I have never heard of using Neurontin/gabatentine for sleep. Remeron/mirtazapine, yes, at 15 mgs.

My link this is about Neurontin. http://crazymeds.us/.../Meds/Neurontin

I definitely slept better before Wellbutrin. I never slept great. I would get about 5 hours per night, but I would sleep all night without waking up. Now, I wake up constantly and it feels like I'm just dozing all night, never really asleep. My brain never shuts off and I never really relax. Don't know if that's related.

My pdoc's included neurontin in a whole multipronged attempt to make my sleep normal. I do think it helps some. And I think I'm getting some mood stabilization out of it as well, which is nice. What dosage did your pdoc prescribe?

If you're wanting straight up sleep meds, ambien, or sonata or whatever, you'll probably have to ask for them directly. I think pdoc's tend to want to try other approaches first, and mine's all about natural shit. But once I asked for ambien, it was totally not a problem.

Ambien CR is the only thing that has ever worked for me, and even that I have to take with some Seroquel. Hey, have you tried a low dose of Seroquel, say 25-50 mgs? Knocks a lot of people out, and doctors are less squeamish about prescribing it long term than Ambien. That said, I've been on Ambien since 2007.

tdoc is irritated that he won't just give me something for a night or two. Plus, pdoc can't remember what I'm taking or at what doses. He talks about me being on meds he has never prescribed. Did I mention that he's old?

I guess I'm wondering if I should start taking the Neurontin or if I should just stick it out until I find a new pdoc.

300mg in the morning? That's a tiny dosage, taken in a way that makes no sense. My pdoc prescribed 900-1200mg, at night. I do kind of feel like they make it possible for other meds to do their thing and let me sleep.

Why won't he give you real sleep meds?

There's no reason not to give it a try. It's not going to make anything worse. Neurontin has fewer side effects than advil, at least for me.

My doctor gave me 300mg neurontin for sleep at one point. I had the same reaction as you, 'neurontin for sleep?!' Well, long story short, it threw me into mania and I went into the hospital so that I could get put on something that works. I ditched my doctor soon after this. Not saying this will happen to you.

My pdoc prescribed 900-1200mg, at night. I do kind of feel like they make it possible for other meds to do their thing and let me sleep.

I've been taking gabapentin for over three years now, mostly for mood stabilization (and now as an adjunct to the lithium). Anyway, it is one of the meds I use for sleep sometimes. My pdoc gives me free rein to take up to 1200 mg extra at night for sleep. I already take 600 mg at night, so I usually only take another 600 if I need a little help sleeping. It doesn't knock me out like zolpidem does, but it does make me dreamy and relaxed enough to help me get to sleep. It is my all time favorite med because I get zero side effects, except when I increase a daily dose-- then I get a little doped up for a few days. I know a lot of people don't think it works for anything, but I am sure it does for me, and have tested it in various ways with my pdoc. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves, really.... But 300 mg in the morning for sleep??? Your pdoc is not understanding how that med works.

As for throwing someone into mania? Whoa, that I have never heard of!

Neurontin can be antidepressant for some, so I could see it possibly destabilizing mood.

But 300 for sleep in the morning is just.... egh.

I take 1800 of neurontin daily to augment my depakote, help with anxiety, a bit with sleep. I take 600 a.m. and the rest at night, and defintiely feel it when I'm not taking it or tapering it. For some people, it can be pretty effective. I find it works best for anxiety really.

But if you're taking it for sleep, take it at night, and you probably need more. You can take it prn probably.

I get zero side effects from neurontin that i can tell.

Anna

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I tried to call a potential new pdoc yesterday. Left a message but haven't heard back. We'll see what happens.

Increase your odds and call a few.

I forgot to say that you are on a fairly activating cocktail. The combo of Lamictal and Wellbutrin is enough to keep many with bipolar up if not hypo/manic. Your answer might be to add a stronger antimanic, but a real live pdoc would have to make that call.

Archived