CrazyBoards.org

How do you cope with having Schizoaffective Disorder?

This is a really vague question. I'll try to answer some things, but it would help if you gave examples of what is troubling you. sza is a lot like bp with psychotic features so you may find coping skills in either forum.

Being on the proper meds is the key thing for me. And therapy, especially challenging thoughts and giving it time.

For delusions, when I have enough insight to know my thoughts are strange, but not enough to disbelieve them-I act "as if" what other people tell me is real is, even if I don't believe it. It usually works better for me than my relaity and I slowly start believing it. I still have doubts because what I experienced was so real, but I'm able to put it aside and go about my day.

I try to think through paranoia "why would people be interested in me?", but I need medication, too. especially anything that will decrease psychosis and aggitation

Hallucinations respond well to meds for me-I know people that live with them even though they know they aren't real and try to ignore them. I think listening to music with headphones might help.

The biggest problem for me has been the positive symptoms. I have things like lack of motivation, disinterest, but my pdoc says that's related to anxiety and not negative symptoms.

There is a lot of info on dealing with anxiety available and there is a recent post that bp and co-morbid anxiety disorders are common.

I'm not inclined to answer the question as it;s currently written. Andy, you'll get more responses if you focus on something specific. How about describing three SZA symptoms you have the most trouble with, and describe how they impact your life, and then and ask about people's experiences dealing with those symptoms.

Guest Vapourware

I need more detail and the original question sounds very strange to me. SZA and "related conditions"? You mean, my co-morbid issues? Or do you mean issues that are impacted by the SZA?

Generally though, I do similar things to confused. Proper medication + therapy is the mainstay of my treatment.

Guest Vapourware

When I get delusional, I try to reality-check myself. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It does help that I have places like CB who are also willing to reality-check for me.

If there are any mood fluctuations, I work with my pdoc to deal with them. If I can a hold of my tdoc, I also look to her for advice.

If my SZA is impacting on my studies, I would alert the equities officer and they can help sort out accommodations that I require.

If SZA is impacting on my work, I try to take some days off to de-stress.

I also try to maintain a regular schedule and keep up with my daily tasks and obligations. I find that when I am symptomatic, I tend to not do as much, so I push myself to do as much as I can. It keeps me moving, and keeps me occupied so I don't ruminate and potentially make myself worse.

I've found that the most important thing for me is staying on my meds. I also try to keep an eye on my symptoms so that I can adjust my meds before things get to bad. I'm still learning to cope with and to accept my illness. I try to get enough sleep and make myself go to work every day. My negative symptoms are the hardest part for me to deal with on a day to day basis.

I ask questions in here, get reality checks from my partner, talk with friends about how I'm feeling, read books about my disorder, take part in groups that relate to mental illness and such, and lean on my friends and family. I come here with specific questions. There's a lot of info here even if you just read back through this section of the site you get a lot of advice from other people's threads.

Archived