CrazyBoards.org

So my Dr. has told me I NEED to be on Abilify, granted shes probably right but Im having a hard time making myself take the first dose.

Ive done alot of research on it (cause Im super paranoid) and Ill Ive found are horror stories and how bad it is.

Im just desperate to hear atleast 1 sucess story or even how it helped a little bit and not a horror story. I just really need some good news about it. If it did help, did you take it in the morning or night?

Tankie!

Abilify works well for me with virtually no side effects. It can be activating so a lot of people take it in the morning, but I find it sedating so I take it at night. I haven't had psychotic symptoms in years. It's hard for me to know how the individual meds are working because I take a combo, but I think it may be helping with depression, too.

I tried Abilify about 2 years ago to help bring my psychoness under control. I started at 5mg a day and went up to 30mg, it was most effective at 15mg. I did not notice any side effects other then it being a little activating so I took it in the morning and didn't have any problems. I was on it for about 6-8 mos and it mostly worked. I got off of it when I was having manic paranoia come back and added Geodon.

My story is not a horror story, but I think it is a realistic story.

I just started it a week ago at 2 mg and moved up to 5 mg on Sunday. I take it for depression. At first, it did seem to make me more depressed, though I don't know that to be the case since I've been very depressed recently and under enormous stress. However, after I went up to 5 mg, I am feeling somewhat better and not so desperately depressed. Apparently, it takes a week or two to work, and I believe that it has only now begun to work for me.

So my story is not a horror story. I am hoping that it's effectiveness takes off. Last night I believe that I felt some significant benefit, and today I'm feeling pretty good.

I take mine around noon. It is slightly sedating for me, but only very slightly. It helps me with the afternoon anxiety. However, some people find 5 mg to be an activating dose. I guess I'm just different.

So don't be afraid to take it, and give it some time to work. It won't take as long as an AD to work though. You are taking it as a mood stabilizer, correct? I don't know how long it takes to work as a mood stabilizer.

I was on between 20 and 30 mg's of abilify for about two years, actually just came off it about two months ago. For me it was a god send. It helped with all my issues and I honestly had no side effects at all. I know like all of these pills everyone iis different but it really worked for me. I was taking it in the am and it really worked for me. Also coming off it, my pdoc tapered me down like you are supposed to do and I had no issues with that as well.

I've been on Abilify for several weeks (first at 2 mg, now at 3 mg) and overall it's been a very positive experience. I've had some mild side effects, mainly involving dizziness, motion sickness, and vertigo (I was already very sensitive to motion sickness before starting Abilify), but they've gone away except for occasional mild dizziness. On the positive side, it's almost completely stopped the intrusive thoughts I'd been having, which has been a godsend. And it made a significant difference even the first week. Most folks I've talked to about Abilify have been quite positive about it, more so than most other drugs I've brought up in my blog and on the forums. Good luck to you!

I got by with 5 mg of Abilify for quite awhile. It kept my mood level. Things seemed good.

Then I got pregnant, got off of it, and then got back on it again a month after I had my daughter. It didn't seem to work so hot after having a kid. I'd feel OK for a few months, then I'd have to increase the dose. Few months, increase dose. I got up to 20 mg, and then I called it quits. I gained some pesty weight, and I was sick of getting dysphoria.

Other than the weight gain, I didn't have any major side effects. It just didn't stabilize my mood for an extended period of time. So no horror stories. And it did work for awhile. I just needed something stronger, I think, after having a kid and dealing with the hormonal stuff.

I've been on Abilify for a little while now, and it has truly helped my life turn around. I am currently on 25mg and that dosage has really improved my life. I am very stable right now, no mania no depression, and life actually feels worth living. It took a little while to find the sweet spot (correct dosage, heh) but once I did my eyes just opened up and I feel functional and able to face the world.

I know it doesn't work for everyone and it won't be perfect for everyone, but for me...it's like a wonder drug. I encourage you to give a real try. As I recall I felt the effects pretty quickly (not within days, but within a week to two weeks). I started out on a 5mg dosage, but raised up to where I am now, each time took about the same period to feel the effects. I have virtually no side effects, minus constipation but that's manageable.

So really I have nothing but good to say about it!

Good luck!

I've been on Abilify for about two 1/2 years now, I think. (My memory has always been crap, don't worry, that's not the abilify.)

I'm on 5 mgs. It's activating, and it cuts my anxiety down by about 90%. It's really quite amazing the difference between me off abilify and me on it--the chatter in my head goes away, my anxiety goes down, and I just personally feel so much better and calmer.

If you're taking it for depression, the maximum dose according to the PI sheet is 15 mg. For psychosis, it's higher. Of course, doctors will prescribe what they think is necessary. So 10 mg is a medium dose for depression.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped back from 10mg to 5 mgbecause I thought I was having negative se's. I only gave it 10 days to notice an improvement. I guess I should have waited a little longer right? I feel the same way at 5mg so I guess I'll go back up tomorrow and give it more time. Been on it for 1month 10 days with no noticeable improvement in depression

symptoms. The limit for depression is 15mg as previously stated.

One doc suggested Topamax to alleviate the weight gain. Anyone else on Topamax? Is it really "stupamax" at low doses? at what dose does it help with appetite suppression. Does it make you not want to eat or does it make everything taste like @#$%?

So many questions I know. Any ideas?

Thanx Brian

If you're taking it for depression, the maximum dose according to the PI sheet is 15 mg. For psychosis, it's higher. Of course, doctors will prescribe what they think is necessary. So 10 mg is a medium dose for depression.

My doc is adamant that I not go above 15 mgs. This from a doc that lets me take 6 mg Lunesta. Some people do will on single digit doses.

nf

Archived