CrazyBoards.org

As far as I know, it's not fattening at all. It's made almost exactly out of GABA, the principle inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. I don't think it does much in the way of metabolizing. It's just GABA, able to cross the blood brain barrier, unlike other GABA OTC supplements.

I think it helps me sleep somewhat. I'm not sure how much it's stopping lamictal, and how much its starting Neurontin, but between the two, I'm much less reactive and full of hate for all humanity. It's good foe anxiety for a lot of people. Some people get some mood stabiization out of it, I think I do a bit.

What symptoms are you wanting it for?

It's made almost exactly out of GABA, the principle inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. I don't think it does much in the way of metabolizing. It's just GABA, able to cross the blood brain barrier, unlike other GABA OTC supplements.

To be slightly nitpicky, it's a GABA analogue, not "made of GABA", so it's structurally very similar to it, but it's not identical. It is indeed pretty much not metabolized and weight neutral for the most part, though.

In theory it's an anticonvulsant, but I have yet to encounter anyone using it for its anticonvulsant properties. It's mainly known for being good for anxiety and neuropathic pain, at least when it works, and for being almost inert when it doesn't work. It can kind of sort of help with other stuff, but it's hit or miss and not really reliable. It's mildly sedating, too. I personally had a horrible negative reaction to it, but that's freakishly unusual, and no doctor I've mentioned it to has ever encountered it happening to anyone else. Heh.

I'm looking for sleep help. If it's only mildly sedating, it's probably not worth the effort. But then again, it'd get me off the Klonopin which isn't a very effective sleep aid, either.

Yesterday, when I saw my doctor he stated that he thought Neurontin (which I am on) was problematic for weight. Interesting. It is good anxiety. I don't think it would be very helpful for sleep for most bipolar people. Not strong enough.

I'm looking for sleep help. If it's only mildly sedating, it's probably not worth the effort. But then again, it'd get me off the Klonopin which isn't a very effective sleep aid, either.

Yeah, it's not really going to knock you out on its own or anything. It might make you a bit more relaxed and have a little bit of an easier time falling asleep, but Klonopin definitely made me more tired/sleepier than it did. You also can't really increase the effect much beyond a certain point by taking more, because the more of it you take, the less of it is absorbed into your system. It drops off astoundingly rapidly, to the point where you can quadruple your dose and end up with something like a 20% higher actual blood level (depending on where on the curve you're starting, etc., but that is not an exaggeration). When it works, it definitely doesn't suck, but it probably won't pull off any miracles by itself, just help out as a member of the team.

I was on gabapentin alone (well, occasional clonazepam) for two years, and didn't gain noticeable weight. My weight fluctuated a bit, but that was because I stopped a kick-my-ass outdoor job and sat on the couch for five months. Didn't help my mood much, either. I tend to gain weight from medications if I so much as walk near the pill bottle, so I would have noticed much gain from the gabapentin...

I've always found neurontin to be weight neutral, completely. No appetite increases, no metabolism changes, nothing.

I take it to boost my mood stabilizer (it does have SOME data for that) and I do find it EXTREMELY helpful for anxiety. I really do notice a big difference when I stop it (which I have done).

I wouldn't discount it for sleep completely, tbh. I find it fairly helpful for that. You would want to take all your dose at night, most likely, and see what you get. It is going to be more sedating at first, most likely. I do find the sedation wears off a bit, but eh. I'm sort of the Insomniac to End all Insomniacs.

But, I would NOT drop it from my cocktail, I don't think. It's a helpful med for me.

Anna