CrazyBoards.org

best neuroleptic against schizophrenia with out bad side effects

Hi. I started an aprentiship 3 weeks ago. My doc decided to perscribe me clozapine in the morning 2 days ago (i only used to take it before going to sleep until now) but it's to strong and i'm looking for a good medication to treat my schizophrenia wich i could take in the morning and wouldn't sedate me during classes. Can anyone recommend me one?

Guest Vapourware

Unfortunately - to be honest with you, there's no real "best" antipsychotic for everyone. What's "best" for someone depends on their individual reaction to a drug, and the only way you can find out how the drug will impact you is to take it and see what happens.

I don't know what other antipsychotics you've tried as well.

Very generally speaking, I believe antipsychotics like Abilify and Saphris are not sedating, although again, whether they do sedate you is unknown until you try them. Personally I found myself being sedated by Abilify, despite its reputation for being somewhat activating for some people.

Also, when considering antipsychotics, you'd have to consider what symptoms you are looking to control. Sometimes you may have to tolerate some negative side effects, if the overall net gain is greater than the negatives.

Drugs do have expected sedation profiles but at the same time reaction is individual and there is no such thing as a "best" or "most nonsedating" for everyone antipsychotic per se. At most there could be "best for me" and "best for you" which may be two completely different drugs. You have to try them until you find something that works.

ETA: a thought

You are going to find it hard to juggle the therapeutic effect of AAPs with the sedative effect.

How much cloz are you on?

Other options include Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon. None of these are overly sedating, compared with clozapine.

Problem is, for most people with schizophrenia, Clozapine is the most effective medication. I know of a lot of people with severe sz who get little or no benefit for some of the milder medications.

Clozapine is the most sedating drug out there for "most people" (note the most people part). As others have said, you will have to try others. Ablify and geodon tend to be less sedating for some, though I have known some people to be incapacitated by sleepiness by geodon. I don't find risperdal sleepy making at all, but many people do. Zyprexa is somewhat sedating, though I find the zydis less so. Seroquel is probably the most sedating in drug profile information, next to cloz.

If you haven't tried others, it may be worth your while to do so. You also have the option of the typicals, which to be honest I don't know much about other than haldol made me so sedated, I generally lose my memory for the first little while. I'm talking days here. Most people don't tend to have that extreme a reaction to haldol though, so I don't know why I do.

Anna

Archived