CrazyBoards.org

anyone symptom free?

i was wondering are there bipolar people out there without the main problems of bipolar, mainly the depression and mania? maybe through a combination of good medication and excercize and all that stuff. vitamins, good sleep. ive noticed im pretty down but its mostly cause i had to move back in with my parents. i don't ever feel cognisant of being manic. i guess thats part of the package, at least from what i've read.anyways how about you guys?

My symptoms are fairly well managed. It did take years to find my magic cocktail. Plus I have used other beneficial things such as therapy, exercize, and keeping some structure in my life. I can catch hypomania early and have a plan with my doctor to adjust my meds immediately. Depression is a little harder but we are working on plans for winter depression. It is possible to manage your illness, have a life, relationships, work, and be happy. But, it is a bigger challenge for bipolar people than normal folk.

I still don't think my meds are in check yet..still working with my Lithium levels currently. I do feel better than before and I'm able to have better control of my actions. I have more severe depressive episodes. Before I wouldn't use any type of coping skills and just attempt suicide. Now its hard to get through those times, but I've been hanging on..its seems barely, but I am. I'm hopeful that I will feel even better soon! I take my meds, see my therapist every week, go to Pdoc every 2-4 weeks, and exercise. So sometimes it just takes time. I say this now, but when I'm down I'm ready to pull my hair out and give up! I guess to answer your question, I'm not sure if it gets better than this, but I hope so. Even when I'm good, I'm not "well" or symptom free.

My symptoms are fairly well managed. It did take years to find my magic cocktail. Plus I have used other beneficial things such as therapy, exercize, and keeping some structure in my life. I can catch hypomania early and have a plan with my doctor to adjust my meds immediately. Depression is a little harder but we are working on plans for winter depression. It is possible to manage your illness, have a life, relationships, work, and be happy. But, it is a bigger challenge for bipolar people than normal folk.

Do you think managing will ever make it to being "cured" or at least while on meds (symptom free)? Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm mildly symptomatic right now (a bit of insomnia) but otherwise limping along fairly well. I was recently severely episodic though, so you should see my cocktail.

That said, I HAVE had long periods in my life where I'd consider myself symptom free, or symptom free ENOUGH to join the rest of the human race in normal variations in mood. I just get thrown off easily by a poor med decision, or severe life stress. I think over time, I have developed more and mroe coping skills (still working on this using DBT) to manage the symptoms I have, and deal with them.

That is in some ways better than symptom free though it's a goal to shoot for, as it means I can be okay and functional regardless of what is going on. Really, this has been one of my worst episodes, ever, in certain regards (not psychosis but mood) but I got through it surprisingly well, overall.

Anna

I'm mildly symptomatic right now (a bit of insomnia) but otherwise limping along fairly well. I was recently severely episodic though, so you should see my cocktail.

That said, I HAVE had long periods in my life where I'd consider myself symptom free, or symptom free ENOUGH to join the rest of the human race in normal variations in mood. I just get thrown off easily by a poor med decision, or severe life stress. I think over time, I have developed more and mroe coping skills (still working on this using DBT) to manage the symptoms I have, and deal with them.

That is in some ways better than symptom free though it's a goal to shoot for, as it means I can be okay and functional regardless of what is going on. Really, this has been one of my worst episodes, ever, in certain regards (not psychosis but mood) but I got through it surprisingly well, overall.

Anna

ever since ive attempted suicide back in 2010 i've had to like mentally give myself reasons as to why i am alive still, pray, and rely on family and friends. i hate being helpless which is why i HATE being in the hospital. thats one of the reasons im trying to be so proactive is cause i absolutely hate the hospital. nothing but reading, walking around, stupid group therapy and the last hospital i was in, ridiculous armchair excercizes complete with cheesy 80s music. *shudder* in fact besides 2009 i've been hospitilized every year since i graduated HS in 2007. so right now im trying to beat my high score as it were. right now i've been hospital free for a year and 3 months. a new record!! lol

I think I'm close to being asymptomatic...at least as far as bipolar is concerned. I am going to be talking to both my doctor's about the possibility of ADD/ADHD on top of my BP because although my mood is quite stable and I'm not experiencing any cycling, I continue to have a great deal of difficult focusing on single topics, studying, reading, even just watching one program at a time. As my cycles have been brought under control, I notice this more. Before, I thought it was just part of feeling manic but I don't feel manic...I just can't focus for shit. I've often wondered if perhaps I had ADHD but I've focused so much on my bipolar that I just sort of brushed the thought aside.

I too need to be exercising more.

I think I'm close to being asymptomatic...at least as far as bipolar is concerned. I am going to be talking to both my doctor's about the possibility of ADD/ADHD on top of my BP because although my mood is quite stable and I'm not experiencing any cycling, I continue to have a great deal of difficult focusing on single topics, studying, reading, even just watching one program at a time. As my cycles have been brought under control, I notice this more. Before, I thought it was just part of feeling manic but I don't feel manic...I just can't focus for shit. I've often wondered if perhaps I had ADHD but I've focused so much on my bipolar that I just sort of brushed the thought aside.

so you aren't depressed or manic? good for you. def ask about adhd meds. i plan on too. i can't concentrate worth crap.

so you aren't depressed or manic? good for you. def ask about adhd meds. i plan on too. i can't concentrate worth crap.

Yeah, at the moment I feel neither depressed or manic, pretty stable...perhaps restless or a bit hyper at times but I don't think it's mania per se. I'm looking forward to my doc appointments so we can talk about that ADHD.

Right now, yes, I am symptom free from my bipolar disorder. No mania, no depression. It's all thanks to my meds and to being proactive about getting into therapy again. Although I do have some anxiety, which I notice gets worse when I'm stable from mood episodes, but it's manageable. I am still having issues with my other problems, but bipolar is on the back burner for now, and for which I am grateful.

Right now, yes, I am symptom free from my bipolar disorder. No mania, no depression. It's all thanks to my meds and to being proactive about getting into therapy again. Although I do have some anxiety, which I notice gets worse when I'm stable from mood episodes, but it's manageable. I am still having issues with my other problems, but bipolar is on the back burner for now, and for which I am grateful.

that's awesome news. :-)

I have a very clear seasonal pattern in my bipolar disorder. I get hypomanic in early spring. Then comes a period with hypomania, mixed state, and it ends with depression. I think it lasts at most 2 months. The rest of the year, I have pretty much a normal mood, although I can sometimes get hit by very short bursts of depression.

I have been episode free since starting up depakote and getting to my current dosage about 4 months ago. This is the longest I've been symptom free in many years. I had been through the merry-go-round of trying different meds and pdocs for 6 years until the current doc and I decided to switch from lithium to depakote for my migraine control. A

As a side benefit, my migraines have went down by about 90%.

Oh, yeah, my first breakthrough came about 9 months ago when my pdoc doubled my risperdal dose to 6mg a day. That chased away all the nasty hallucinations.

Archived