CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar and age

it may be just me but it seems like as i get older my bipolar episodes especially the depressed states are getting worse and worse.... or is it all the wear and tear from the cycling setting in. im a rapid cycler and when i say rapid i mean rapid but spend most my time in depression. anyone else feel this way

My illness has definitely worsened in some ways, improved in others. That said, I also think my coping skills have changed.

I was determined never to end up in hospital again after my first episode, hahahahah.

I'm kind of glad I was a bit naive at first, really.

I am still stable but at the present time it takes more meds to keep me stable. I seem more vulnerable to stressors to an extent, that said the episode I'm in was set off by poor medicating, which really is the worst, in terms of episodes for me.

That said, when I get stable, I seem to be able to stay stable longer perhaps? IDK. I started out with a yearly depression that lasted 6 mo out of the year, so that's pretty annoying just right there. Nothing treated it effectively but lamictal which I can't take.

Anna

I don't know if my symptoms are getting worse, but my awareness of them is getting better. I was so out of control in my 20's that I really don't remember much of it. Now that I'm self-aware I think I just know more and I'm hyper-vigilant of mood disturbances. So it might seem worse, but I'm really just paying closer attention.

That said, I've read too that the disease progresses as you age. Especially unmedicated. Read about kindling and you'll see why meds are essential.

Wow. I feel I'm getting more manic as the years go by! I defenitly think it gets worse as I age! I get depressedd too, but the high aggressive stages seem pretty dominant.

Yeah, I seem more manic too, and I'm 46. I think when I younger I wasn't as jaded and had confidence and a determination to succeed. I have lost that determination and am floundering now. I have a hearing soon to try to get my disability. I sure didn't sit in college dreaming of being on disability! I've been rapid cycling since May, when my grandmother died. The cut was too deep and threw me right off. I got off of Seroquel and was switched to Abilify. Any feedback on Abilify? Does it work? Thanks, and try not to let the depression get you down. When I'm too depressed I listen to Nine Inch Nails very loud! Trent is the king of Depression (or was) and when I hear him throwing his tantrums, sometimes I just have to laugh. Ain't nobody having a worse day than Trent Reznor!! Well, it works for me. ♥♥

My manias and depressions (mostly mixed states) have progressively become worse over the six years I've been diagnosed. That said, there have been some highlights to those times, and things have been looking up for me since changing one of my meds a few months ago. I'm personally a believer that BP can destroy or damage the "wiring in your brain" the longer you have mood episodes. It did for me, anyway.

Yes, leaving BP untreated is really not a good thing for your brain. I stay out of episodes as much as I can simply because they ARE hard on the brain, which is partly why I accept taking a lot of medications at times, even though it's a bit hard on my body, in various ways. I'd rather keep my brain healthy and deal with side effects medically than the reverse.....

Anna

Gen Xer. My 20s were hell - severe depression many months each year, with bonus SSRI-induced hypomania, mixed states and psychosis. I (mostly) stablised in my early 30s. I'm not certainly not 100% euthymic all the time. Much milder depressions than in my 20s, tho (yay!), my spontaneous hypomanias are no worse (ie mild). Recently took a course of oral prednisolone for my asthma - it made cycle, but it didn't get ugly in the way it probably would have in the past (the stuff often causes mood side effects in non-MI people).

Archived