CrazyBoards.org

I am having trouble discussing some things with my pdoc. I have been seeing him for about two years and sometimes it just feels like he is not interested in how I am feeling or whats going with me.

It's the worst when I am the most symptomatic; I go in with a big list and before I finish it he makes a small adjustment to my meds and that's it. No suggestions , reassurances, or recommendations.

So naturally there are times when i am uncomfortable. My wife has been telling me that I may be having psychotic symptoms come back. I don't think so, but she said to talk about whats been happening with the pdoc just in case.

I went in to see him yesterday and had a big list because I had been having some mood issues and he did not seem interested so several of the things I needed to talk about did not get discussed. I don't know why he doesn't like me and he definitely wont understand it if I tell him about my abilities.

I had some extra respiridone and started that on Sunday cause of the agitation and anxiety I was feeling. I think the doc may have been upset that I treated myself, but I couldn't stand it anymore and I can never get a hold of him. They say if its an emergency go to ED, well i didnt think i needed to be locked up.

Anyway if that was wrong he should have said something when I saw him. He also decided to continue the treatment that I started myself on, but I am unsure if that is because I did the right thing or because he wants to spite me (if you want to treat yourself then that's what we'll do).

Besides if my abilities are just psychosis then the prescribed treatment should rid me of them. Is it really necessary to mention an additional symptom if it is being treated anyway?

My wife thinks I still need to talk about it and we are going to my tdoc today to bring it up. Secondary problem is I don't know how many people I can tell about what I can do. I am trying not to be paranoid about it, but it's some powerful stuff.

Sorry about talking too much!!

Why don't you take your wife with you to your pdoc appointment? If you can't make the pdoc listen to your symptoms, maybe she can. I really don't think your pdoc is angry with you about "treating" yourself. I think that perhaps he is just one of those indifferent types of pdocs. I know because my pdoc is kinda that way. And I've had that experience in the past. So my suggestions are:

- Write down a list of your symptoms and give it to your pdoc at your next appointment. That way you'll know he has something in writing.

- Take your wife with you to your next pdoc appointment. She can be your advocate.

I would definitely recommend writing a list of things you want to bring up, if you haven't already tried this. I tried for eight months to get mine to listen to me, even taking my boyfriend with me, having to schedule emergency appointments, etc. My problem is that I tend to minimise everything, so despite the fact that I was struggling, I still wouldn't tell him exactly how bad it was. Eventually, I wrote a detailed list of all of my symptoms. It's only recently that my doctor has started taking me more seriously, and I've finally got my referral!

I understand you don't need a referral, because you're already seeing a psych. If the suggestions that jt07 made don't work, then would it be possible for you to find someone else who you mesh with better? Or could you get your Tdoc to write a letter to your Pdoc telling them that you aren't functioning that well?

I hope things get better for you!

N

My pdoc wouldn't listen to me, or address what I was dealing with. It seemed he was like a train on tracks going in one direction, no matter what I told him. So i got a referral to a new pdoc, and went to him for the first time yesterday. It went really well and I felt like we could connect. I wrote a one page history, and 4 pages of what I'm dealing with. He was very interested and took it very seriously.

I don't have time to sit in an office for a year with someone who isn't interested in what I'm feeling.

...he definitely wont understand it if I tell him about my abilities.

...Besides if my abilities are just psychosis then the prescribed treatment should rid me of them. Is it really necessary to mention an additional symptom if it is being treated anyway?

...Secondary problem is I don't know how many people I can tell about what I can do. I am trying not to be paranoid about it, but it's some powerful stuff.

If you are experiencing psychotic symptoms that is very clinically relevant and your pdoc should be told.

Thanks everyone. I went to my tdoc with my wife and she made me talk about what I have been experiencing the past month. My tdoc is going to call my pdoc (their part of the same MI hospital) and tell him about my abilities.

As far as the long term problem of communicating with my pdoc my tdoc said she will help me work through it. She also suggested that I may have built my list up in my head and got too nervious to go over everything.

Archived