CrazyBoards.org

wise to take Deplin during bad Suboxone withdrawal?

Hello- I am a 43yearold male. Lifetime serious depression. Have been taking 15mg daily Deplin for a few weeks now (many years on Zoloft w/o much benefit). Anyway I really cannot say if the Deplin is working because I have been trying to taper down off of Suboxone at the same time (2 years Suboxone total, 6mg for the last year before tapering). Well I am right now in the middle of the HELL of Suboxone withdrawal (day 2) and am wondering if I should skip or take the Deplin. A lot of people complain it makes them energetic or anxious, and that is the last thing I need right now as I am going out of my skin with anxiety, depression, major Suboxone withdrawal. I already feel like I'm going to die and don't want to take anything that could make it worse, but also don't want to skip Deplin if it could help. Just looking for any advice...THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Edited by tryp
Removed phone number, email and full name.

I"d advise you to contact your pdoc re: this issue, hopefully he is well versed in both addiction medicine and psych disorders.

TBH, unless you also had pill problems, my advice would be a short course of benzos, but I have recently changed my stance on benzos. I was a benzo avoider for a long time due to my alcoholism. But I've taken them out of desperation, am tapering klonopin and doing fine now. This is because I approached them as medications, not drugs. the whole entire time..... This is just my personal experience, i'm not a doctor, so definitely talk to yours.

I do sympathize greatly, suboxine w/d can be hellish. I've gone through ultram w/d several times, and it is HELL. Feels like my brain is on FIRE. Opiates are opiates no matter what.

Is there a particular reason you are choosing to w/d from subox. right now in particular?

I won't take opiates now, as they are really my drug of choice. I mean, if I have major surgery I might have to at some point, but there would be someone HOLDING my pills.

Also, go very slowly, as slowly as you can. And also get tx for the various sx you have along the way. Hopefully, your doc is knowledgeable enough to help you through this in a proactive way. But you really must report to him/her what is going on. And work on finding meds that might help.

I'm not sure about deplin, I don't have much experience with the drug, really. For some people, it seems to be activating and whatnot, for others, it really doesn't do much. I'd be hesitant about stopping it without some type of replacement, personally.

Also, are there other psych. meds that you are taking? I used to work in a subox/methadone clinic at Hopkins so I do have some experience with these meds.... I'd be happy to try and help more, but you need to provide more information.

The best thing I can offer right now is that you work VERY closely with your doc and team, go slowly, and remember the w/d is not going to last forever.

You also need to take good care of yourself physically right now as you will likely go through PAWS if you are having this much trouble (Post acute withdrawal syndrome). This is a rather nasty syndrome that I have personally experienced with my ultram withdrawals. It really takes me 6--9 months to feel normal, even after I have completely withdrawn from the drug. I don't say this to scare you, rather to prepare you. During PAWS, I need my med regimen adjusted to control sx, and I need good self care. It's really annoying. But, I did it to myself (well, not the first time, ultram was used to treat tx resistant depression and it worked well.... until it didn't. Which sucked, and i had to come off. Since then, I have abused ultram at other times, though I am now finally done with that demon med (well demonish for me anyway), so I cannot complain too much.

I'd also advise going really slowly, that's what saved me the last ultram w/d. I went very very slowly, and was able to avoid major crazy symptoms, though withdrawaing over like 6 months or so was also sucktastic. Though LESS sucktastic than a quick taper (for me at least).

Good luck provide us with more info, and stay in touch with your doctor. A lot.

Anna

Anna thank you so much for the very kind and detailed reply. Gosh, I'll try to address all your ?'s but I am still in very very rough shape. My depressive mind is making it seem like this will never end. Anxiety and RLS are totally out of control. Thank GOD my mom and sister are nursing me and dealing with my crap. I did NOT taper slowly enough. I tried once last year, failed, and ended up just wanting to get it over with, so I went from 6mg to 3mg/day in about 2 weeks, then from 3mg down in steps in only about a week to i day of 1/2 mg and DONE I was feeling a lot of pressure to get off it and thru the w/d before I went back to work, because I am on disability but only for so long. So I know I should have tapered longer...I can never really see the hell of w/d until I'm in it.

Re: my original worry I finally got a call back from a nurse at my pdoc (not my Sub doc) who said Deplin should not add to any anxiety, and anyone who feels that way may be reacting to the packers used in the rest of the pill. He emphasized it should only make me feel better, even with the condition I'm in.

Thank you Anna so so much...it's really hard to see the light right now. If you are a believer please pray...

-krautdog

• 1 year later...

I"d advise you to contact your pdoc re: this issue, hopefully he is well versed in both addiction medicine and psych disorders.

TBH, unless you also had pill problems, my advice would be a short course of benzos, but I have recently changed my stance on benzos. I was a benzo avoider for a long time due to my alcoholism. But I've taken them out of desperation, am tapering klonopin and doing fine now. This is because I approached them as medications, not drugs. the whole entire time..... This is just my personal experience, i'm not a doctor, so definitely talk to yours.

I do sympathize greatly, suboxine w/d can be hellish. I've gone through ultram w/d several times, and it is HELL. Feels like my brain is on FIRE. Opiates are opiates no matter what.

Is there a particular reason you are choosing to w/d from subox. right now in particular?

I won't take opiates now, as they are really my drug of choice. I mean, if I have major surgery I might have to at some point, but there would be someone HOLDING my pills.

Also, go very slowly, as slowly as you can. And also get tx for the various sx you have along the way. Hopefully, your doc is knowledgeable enough to help you through this in a proactive way. But you really must report to him/her what is going on. And work on finding meds that might help.

I'm not sure about deplin, I don't have much experience with the drug, really. For some people, it seems to be activating and whatnot, for others, it really doesn't do much. I'd be hesitant about stopping it without some type of replacement, personally.

Also, are there other psych. meds that you are taking? I used to work in a subox/methadone clinic at Hopkins so I do have some experience with these meds.... I'd be happy to try and help more, but you need to provide more information.

The best thing I can offer right now is that you work VERY closely with your doc and team, go slowly, and remember the w/d is not going to last forever.

You also need to take good care of yourself physically right now as you will likely go through PAWS if you are having this much trouble (Post acute withdrawal syndrome). This is a rather nasty syndrome that I have personally experienced with my ultram withdrawals. It really takes me 6--9 months to feel normal, even after I have completely withdrawn from the drug. I don't say this to scare you, rather to prepare you. During PAWS, I need my med regimen adjusted to control sx, and I need good self care. It's really annoying. But, I did it to myself (well, not the first time, ultram was used to treat tx resistant depression and it worked well.... until it didn't. Which sucked, and i had to come off. Since then, I have abused ultram at other times, though I am now finally done with that demon med (well demonish for me anyway), so I cannot complain too much.

I'd also advise going really slowly, that's what saved me the last ultram w/d. I went very very slowly, and was able to avoid major crazy symptoms, though withdrawaing over like 6 months or so was also sucktastic. Though LESS sucktastic than a quick taper (for me at least).

Good luck provide us with more info, and stay in touch with your doctor. A lot.

Anna

This is quite a helpful post, Anna. I have a question, though. I was prescribed Tramadol for a painful leg injury, and because of it, I

've been taking them for 2 months and I enjoyed the way they made me feel, since I also felt sad and depressed being bed-ridden. Once i could walk around again, i thought it would be a good time to stop them, but i noticed something had changed dramatically in the way of moods. I felt terrible, and i couldn't shake a horrible feeling of sadness and tiredness. After reading comments on Ultram, and then your post, i began to understand the reasons why this was/is happening. I've been trying to come back and rebound to the "old' me, but it seems like a struggle. Is it my imagination, could it be possible that I'm addicted in such a short period of time, and lastly, should i also ween off of them slowly as you suggested? Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!