CrazyBoards.org

How do I stop it from happening? Is it even possible to stop it from happening?

I have blogged about the issue of people being aware of certain identifying details (especially my real name) being spread across the internet on both this site and another forum I post on. It happens all the time, and not just when I am actually on the sites.

It is worrying for me because I choose to remain anonymous. But whenever someone replies to my posts I expect that they will refer to me by my real name and not my username. Something keeps telling me this, so I am glad that people both here and there have so far respected my anonymity. By the way I use a completely different username on the other forum.

The reason that I posted here rather than there is that this sort of post is not appropriate on the other forum, as that is a religious debate forum.

I am not thought broadcasting though. This is something completely different, and nothing to do with my illness.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

- enlightened_plutonian

No need to worry about any types of telepathy. There is no such thing, even though it may feel truer than true. There are huge monetary prizes for anyone that can scientifically prove they are telepathic (among other supernatural abilities), and to date not one person has claimed them. Who couldn't use a million dollars? Hell, you wouldn't even have to claim the prize....just start playing poker professionally and clean out all the saps that are thinking about their next move ;)

Or do you just mean in a non-literal sense? As in you're worried about losing your anonymity? If you never spill the beans on your real name, no one's going to know what it is. I'm paranoid myself....I use different names registered to different e-mail accounts on various websites I frequent. I don't even have my "gender" identified on the site.

(on that note, why does it say gender and not sex? Let's be accurate here, damnit. lol My gender and sex are not the same.)

If you believe that people are gaining access to your private information from across the world by means of telepathy than it might as well be thought broadcasting 2.0 (which is by definition a delusion, not a phenomena)

Its not possible, try to remember that it is NOT possible. I suggest you speak with your tdoc if you have one, or your pdoc if you don't.

I also suggest talking to your pdoc. There is NO WAY for any of us to know your real name or anything about you. As has been mentioned, telepathy does not exist. You are going to your pdoc tomorrow if I remember correctly, right? This is something that you should bring to his attention.

If you think that anyone has referred to you by your real name, use your browser to search for your name on the page. You won't find it. This is a simple reality check that you can do.

Please, please be open to your pdoc.

Sounds like you are having breakthrough psychotic symptoms. You are just starting school; you have a new stressor in your life. Tell your pdoc about this telepathy issue. You probably need a med adjustment. Telepathy does not exist in reality.

I always worry that people will be able to connect who I am with my online persona. Especially with FB in the picture now. From time to time I do a full out internet search to see what my virtual trail looks like. Last time I did it I was shocked at how much was connected. I had done some convenience settings like connecting my phone to my photobucket and my photobucket to my FB. Simple extrapolation of my email brought on a whole chain of information about me which eventually lead to my FB page and my full name.

I know I get to comfortable with the anonymity of the web. I suggest Googleing yourself occasionally and if there are links that allow people to find out the real you break them, redirect them or ask Google to take them down. Never use the feature that allows you to connect to another website using your FB login. Keep your accounts separate even if it is easier. Have separate emails for people who know you and people you've met on the web. I keep a third for professional reasons. Don't always use the same login and where FB asks you to put in a handle I suggest you don't give them one, they don't need it.

Now if you mean somebody is reading your mind through the screen that is an entirely different matter. For that I would talk to your doc.

Thanks all for replying.

I mean in the literal sense. I do take all the precautions to protect my anonymity. No accounts are linked and I don't even post anything on my Facebook. Though Facebook, much as I hate it, is not the offending site. It is only here and another forum I use, and I even have completely different usernames / avatars / signatures / profile information on the 2 sites. It is a telepathy thing, that occurs all the time and not just when I am online. My computer does not even have to be on for the information to be put out there. But I know that I am not thought broadcasting, because I have had that before and this is something totally different.

I once thought people were following me across the internet. I thought they were mocking me and pretending to be something they were not. For me it ended up being a delusion.

I read your blog and saw your pdoc doesn't want you back for 3 months. I really think that is too long. I go every 3 months, but I don't have stressors like starting school.

3 months between appointments is the usual in the NHS. And my college course is the one thing that I have going on that is not stressing me out. It is a part time course that is only on one night a week. In the UK, college is just adult education and not university (which is a much longer term goal for me).

Guest Vapourware

If you're talking about protecting your identity from others, there are lots of ways of doing so - and it seems like you've covered the necessary ground by not linking accounts, etc.

If you're talking about people somehow knowing who you are despite your security measures, then...IMO it sounds more delusional than rooted in reality. I guess if anyone really wanted to, they could dig out information about anyone, but I believe it takes a decent amount of know-how which most Internet users don't possess. Plus it also requires the desire for people to dig out information about you in the first place. Why would people be that interested in you in the first place, anyways? I can't just look at someone's profile name or profile information and "know", somehow, their private information. It doesn't work that way IRL and it's even harder when through a third-person medium.

You literally believe in the existence of internet telepathy? No. That is not real. It is a part of your illness, unquestionably. Whenever your pdoc wants you back, you need to call him. You need a med increase, odds are.

Moved to psychosis board.

I get a lot Of this paranoia too. That people are going to find me on the Internet through this website via FB or another site. I think my team is stalking me on FB and this site and my husband too. I can't give this site up though. It helps me too much. So I don't know what to do!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so all of you that are seeming to make fun of this person for believing in internet telepathy are being so harsh and rude. I'm actually upset that you guys are saying that telepathy does not exist. How do you explain when your phone rings and it is the person YOU picked up the phone to call? Little things like that do exist, in my opinion. I do realize that telepathy can be a delusion as I have had it myself. For me, my telepathy and thought broadcasting went hand in hand. Hard to differentiate.

When the phone rings and it's someone you were about to call. Odds are, it's someone you talk to often, so his or her calling at any time is not really a huge surprise.

But really, unless someone's come up with actual empirical evidence of telepathy, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. And when someone who has a psychotic disorder thinks he or she's experiencing telepathy? No. Just.... no.

I think if telepathy exists it would manifest quite differently than any of the examples given here, or any I've thought I had when delusional.

It's pretty easy to prove or disprove as well, simply "send" information purposely, or try to "receive" information purposely. If it doesn't work, it's not real.

Like: get a friend to either send or receive some information, mentally, you don't know ahead of time. See if you can do it. Reality check.

In this case for sure I don't think it's real.

Guest Vapourware

Okay so all of you that are seeming to make fun of this person for believing in internet telepathy are being so harsh and rude. I'm actually upset that you guys are saying that telepathy does not exist. How do you explain when your phone rings and it is the person YOU picked up the phone to call? Little things like that do exist, in my opinion. I do realize that telepathy can be a delusion as I have had it myself. For me, my telepathy and thought broadcasting went hand in hand. Hard to differentiate.

Please explain how any of us were making fun of EP?

Coincidences does happen, but even those examples are not telepathy. Hell, I used to come up with the same idea as my ex, at the same time. It was because we were around each other so much that we managed to pick up on each other's thought patterns. You also see it when people who have been together for a while, like twins or a long-term couple, start finishing each other's sentences. Not telepathy - just familiarity.

Archived