CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone feel too good even while in remission?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110722142100.htm

"Gruber points out that positive emotions are problematic for people with bipolar disorder even when they're not experiencing mania. Gruber has studied people whose bipolar disorder is in remission and found that they still experience more positive emotions than people who have never had bipolar disorder. More positive emotions may not sound like a bad thing, but there are times when these positive emotions aren't appropriate. "In our work, those with bipolar disorder continue to report greater positive emotions whether it's a positive film, very sad film clip of a child crying over his father's death, and even disgusting films involving someone digging through feces" she says. In more recent work Gruber and her colleagues have found they still feel good even if a close romantic partner tells them something sad face to face, they still feel good. "It's rose-colored glasses gone too far."

I will say that I think I have this feel too good "problem" My natural mood is almost one of a happy smiley one. Heck I feel like I'm smiling right now for no reason. I just feel this good strong sensation everywhere I go. Been in remission 5 years or so and would say the stable me is like this. Like, I watch sad things on tv and most of the time I'm laughing at someone crying or getting attacked. I just feel this strong powerful energy all day. I feel like I could run a marathon or something. Anyone relate to this?

Honestly its a small price to pay if you ask me, but I can see how it would be troubling. I would still think it's irresponsible to treat unless it becomes noticeably problematic.

Sometimes its annoying though cause you just want to feel calm and relaxed. Yet you got this natural dose of "cocaine" running through your bloodstream and you feel amped up. Some people say oh i wish I had 24/7 high energy all the time, from my experience be careful for what you ask for. Everyone wants the opposite of what they have so what can you do. What we really want is balance but we can't choose what chemicals run through our brain. Also I'm not saying i'm overly happy 100% of the time just most of the time like now. Sometimes I do get sad of course, just usually i laugh at my sadness even during it. I can see a lot of rich/successful people with a small dose of this stuff really having an edge on their competition. Problem is when you get too much of it that you can't control it or function with it.

I think I do tend to have a more cheerful or optimistic personality than the average person when stable. That has led me into difficulty at times in my interpersonal relationships and being abused. I kind of have to be careful sometimes to not be overly forgiving or stay too long in a negative situation thinking it would improve. Hmm. This recent research makes me think a lot about how my BP has affected some of my life exp it is interesting.

Anna

Archived