CrazyBoards.org

Just wondering if anyone has experienced akathisia while taking lithium? I've tried it twice before and got akathisia although both times I was also taking an ssri with it so that may have some bearing.

I'm retrying it again at 750mg along with seroquel at 200mg. Been on it 7 weeks with no symptoms but the last 2 trials took about 8-10 weeks before it started. My p/doc said if I get it to use my clonazepam as needed???? I worked my way up to 10mg/day last time and it still felt like hell. There must be a med out there I can take to counter the akathisia? 10 mg/day of clonazepam made me feel like a depressed irritable idiot.

Thanks for your help.

There are several medications that I know of off hand that can be used to assist with akathisia.

They are Cogentin (benztropine), Artane (trihexyphenidyl), Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Inderal (propanolol), Symmetrel (amantadine). I think there are a couple of others but this is what meds I know you can use for it.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I thought Artane would be an option and it's good to know that the akathisia may dissipate with time.

I could not believe my p/doc when I asked him 2 weeks ago for a med in-case I get it and his reply was "no! there's nothing that will help with it, you can learn to live with it, after all, it's not like you're going to be chewing holes in the wall"!!!!!!!!

Actually, I had a terrible case of akathisia back in 1999 when I was taking Orap and Prozac. I had no clue at the time what it was but it led me to the bathroom where I grabbed my razor and ...lets just say, I started shaving my wrists! So yes, akathisia can be worse than the mood-disorder the offending med is being used for.

I see my p/doc next week and it may very well be my last visit.....my wife wants me to get a referral for a new doc.

Propranolol Treatment for Neuroleptic-Induced Akathisia

Ashish Sharma, M.D., Vishal Madaan, M.D., and Frederick Petty, Ph.D., M.D.

Department of Psychiatry, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1192441/

The treatment options for akathisia are the beta blockers, such as propranolol, anticholinergics, and benzos. Benzos are not really that effective.

nf

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I thought Artane would be an option and it's good to know that the akathisia may dissipate with time.

I could not believe my p/doc when I asked him 2 weeks ago for a med in-case I get it and his reply was "no! there's nothing that will help with it, you can learn to live with it, after all, it's not like you're going to be chewing holes in the wall"!!!!!!!!

Actually, I had a terrible case of akathisia back in 1999 when I was taking Orap and Prozac. I had no clue at the time what it was but it led me to the bathroom where I grabbed my razor and ...lets just say, I started shaving my wrists! So yes, akathisia can be worse than the mood-disorder the offending med is being used for.

I see my p/doc next week and it may very well be my last visit.....my wife wants me to get a referral for a new doc.

If my pdoc told me that akathisia was no big deal or that Klonopin was the only thing to help it, I'd find a new pdoc asap. Akathisia is hell.

Archived