CrazyBoards.org

how would u feel if others tell about ur self harm?

i previously had an attempted suicide which was an overdose. one of my family members(i wont go into details) told other people about it. i knew this coz they approached me and basically said "dont do that suicide shit again. u mean too much too us..." blah blah. i felt offended and hurt and betrayed.

i worry what others think of me? like they would be scared of me coz what i did?

i felt that certain family member was trying to hurt me by telling others? am i being paranoid?

I don't think they were trying to hurt you, but it was irresponsible for them to tell people about it without your permission.

I seriously doubt it was malicious, you should tell them how you feel about this, but as a violation of privacy, not an attack. Play it out and I suspect you'll see they had no intention of hurting you.

I also doubt that this was intentionally malicious, unless your family really is like that.

That said, your privacy should be respected.

On the other hand/flip side, if I attempted suicide, I would have to accept that this would have a HUGE impact on my family and maybe they would be talking to others to get support for themselves and I feel like they would have a RIGHT to. That's just me.

That being said, I consider suicide the ultimate in selfish behavior (and I've been suicidal, but never acted on it for just that reason) so I'm afraid sympathy is from me is going to be rather minimal. As far as I'm concerned, you try to off yourself, all bets are off as far as family needing support for themselves....

Anna

Regardless of the motivation, suicide scares a lot of people, even more so when a family member tries. Your self harm/suicide attempts will have a massive impact on people who care for you, like it or not.

If you want some help on how to cope with difficult feelings and suicidal moments, there are some great resources on this board.

i felt that certain family member was trying to hurt me by telling others? am i being paranoid?

I don't believe that you are paranoid. It is perfectly rational to question the motives of a person that hurts your feelings. It becomes paranoia when you assume that every action that person takes is against you. EDIT "Or every thought the person thinks is negative about you" END EDIT

In your situation it is most likely that this person cares for you and does not understand how you feel about your SI and does not want to see you seriously hurt or injured.

Archived