CrazyBoards.org

I just took my first champix pill, my quit date is set for 25th September.

I generally smoke at least 50 a day, and right now I actually don't feel like one.

... I'm not sure what to do now, I need a 3-5 minute activity to fill the gap I think

Do you mean chantix?

If so, just watch out for mood variations, it's a bit notorious for that. My providers have literally said they'd rather have me smoking than on chantix. They all get these horrified looks on their faces when I even mention it and are like, "Er.... no?"

That said, I'm glad it's helping. Try sucking through straws/knitting/talking to friends/going out in fresh air, etc/whatnot, I guess. I'm not the queen of non smoking skills obviously.

Many states have free quit support groups, you might try investigating one of those. They're usually 8 week programs where you go, get support, and learn coping skills and whatnot. AZ has one.

Anna

Chantix worked wonderfully for me, a 2 pack a day habit. I tried Zyban gum, and patches to no success. I dod not have any mood problems, though some do. For me Chantix totally removed the desire to smoke.

nf

I think it has perked my mood up by 1 point on a 1-10 scale :blink:

I smoke about 50 a day, so that's reassuring.

I was on Wellbutrin, which cut my smoking in half without my noticing. I was an early adopter of Wellbutrin, and my decrease in smoking was reported to the FDA by my pdoc (academic). He said a lot of his patients cut back without trying.

I quit cold turkey, so my suggestions might be ineffectual. But I have a cribbage game (Cribbage Pro) on my phone, and can play a couple, if not more, hands in 3-5 minutes. I guess solitaire, or any game you could play in small increments, would work. I play cribbage when I need to retreat, or take a break. I find it soothing. I play against the computer, so I don't get embarrassed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been quit for nine months. One of the things that has been most helpful is a forum site called quitnet. It is free and a place to talk with others who are going through the same thing. I wouldn't have made it this far without them. Anyway, congrats on quitting. Let me know how you are doing with it.

Hi. I've been quit for nine months. One of the things that has been most helpful is a forum site called quitnet. It is free and a place to talk with others who are going through the same thing. I wouldn't have made it this far without them. Anyway, congrats on quitting. Let me know how you are doing with it.

i should have updated this thread, sorry

by day 4, i was seeing spy cameras and generally not doing so great, so stopped it

only good thing to come out of it in the end was generating a discussion with pdoc about chains of association

if anyone finds this thread in a search, just for reference my dx: schizoaffective DO, epilepsy .rx: risperdal, cymbalta, epilim [depacote in the USA I think that's called]

Archived