CrazyBoards.org

So I have been on lithium for while now but it's been making foood taste.weird.I can't eat certain dairy products because I get a weird smell and taste because of the lithium. I know its the lithium because I stopped taking the lithium for 2 1/2 weeks and it went away now that I started it again I have the same problem. It's very frustrating! Has anyone had this problem? I asked my pharmisist but he said its not a commonly listed side effect. So am I just crazy?

I had a horrible taste in my mouth for months from lithium, but it did go away after about six months. What helped me was taking my lithium with cow milk, which might not help you if you don't like skim milk (if the fat in milk tastes weird, I mean). The milk also helped get rid of the nasty acidic burn I got in my belly from my meds at night (not just lith.- 3 other meds, too). That isn't as much of a problem anymore, but I usually take them with food just in case.

I tended to have a constantly unpleasant salty taste in my mouth from lithium. It didn't go away, but I wasn't on it that long. I did find I had to find "compatible" foods to eat, as some were just a bit unbearable.

Anna

This is how I was when I started Lithium and every time I went up a dose. I actually spit out some powerade zero it tasted so bad- so salty and intense. It was disgusting! I had to test foods..it was like I was pregnant or something (tastes changing)!

• 3 weeks later...

Which brand of lithium do you have? I recently switched from no-brand generic lithium carbonate to Priadel. It was a world of difference for me! The pills are MUCH easier to take in, and I don't have that weird metallic taste in my mouth anymore. Switching to a different brand (Priadel, Camcolit) might make a difference...

• 3 weeks later...

When I started Lithium I couldn't stand the smell or taste of peaches or any similar fruit. I couldn't even stand fake peach flavours. I was a bit grossed out by the taste of caramel, as well. Now that I've been on it for a few months I can tolerate those foods, though they still taste odd. I also get the acid reflux, but because I take my Lithium in the morning (can't sleep if I take it at night) it's not as much of a problem.

Oddly enough, I'm having an issue with peaches as well. I was starving for canned fruit so Hubs went and got peaches and pears. I have no problem with the pears but I can't stomach the peaches.

I haven't had any issues with dairy products though. If anything, they taste better!

Archived