CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety out of control, I'm so scared.....

Since going off Paxil in June, I have gradually sunk back into the pit. I have been resisting taking any meds, due to fear. Finally this week I got desparate enough and began Cymbalta 30mg daily on Wed evening and abilify 1 mg daily yesterday. I have been out of my mind with anxiety all week, and it's just getting worse. I have Xanax 0.25mg PRN but am afraid of becoming addicted. I used it once yesterday. Had a massive panic attack mon night, which DH talked me down from, and another at 6AM today for which I called the paramedics because DH was gone to work. Of course the got here in about 5 minutes, but my heartrate was down to 92 from 180.All I do is worry, worry, worry. I'm afraid the meds arent going to work. I'm afraid the side effects will kill me. I CANT STOP THIS GD ANXIETY!!!!! Can someone offer any advice??? Pdoc knows how anxious I am, says to take the Xanax. I cant go on like this.....

Hi there -

About the Xanax. I used to take Ativan, which is a drug in the same class, and at first I was also terrified of getting addicted. BUT if you take the dose you are prescribed, it is very unlikely that you will. When you start to get problems is when you find yourself taking more than you are prescribed. Like, a LOT more. It is definitely possible to use Xanax safely - many here do. Perhaps you can try using that, to see if it can help you feel a little better, because unlike Abilify and Cymbalta, Xanax works right away and will probably help tide you over until the other meds can kick in.

I know it can feel like you're never going to get better, but you can. I've had hideous depression before and meds have managed to get me out of it, and my mood is really quite normal right now. It can happen for you too. The waiting and the trying different medications is really really hard though. Keep posting if it helps - we've all mostly been there.

Wow, I know what you are going through. But it was smart of your doctor to start you on both Cymbalta and Abilify. The Abilify should start working after a week or two. Don't worry about becoming addicted to Xanax. Like tryp said, if you take your meds as directed, you will not become addicted. People become addicted by taking large doses trying to get high. They build up tolerances and then they take even larger doses to become high. You are taking Xanax to keep anxiety at bay, not to get high.

I notice that you are taking atenolol. How is that working for you? I'm having problems with severe anxiety, and I'm thinking maybe about asking for a beta blocker to help.

I've been on Atenolol for years, prescribed to keep my heart rate down because I have a mitral valve prolapse, which causes bouts of SVT(and, I firmly believe, causes some of my anxiety). Under normal circumstances, I feel it does help keep me calm due to a lowered heart rate.

Seeing that the Xanax dose that was prescribed for you (0.25mg), that's the lowest possible dose (unless you split the tablet). If you take it properly, I don't think you would get addicted. I've been on Xanax for 10 months and have since starting Xanax been able to go from a 4mg per day to a 2mg per day total.

If you take your meds as prescribed, you shouldn't have a problem. The Xanax can help out while you are waiting for the Abilify and Cymbalta to "kick in".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived