CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar because I am gay? Or gay because I am bipolar?

I think that mental illness is an interaction between genetic predisposition and life stressors. For some people it's more the former and some, more the latter. And being gay within a certain context can be a huge life stressor.

That's the way I see it.

no no no

no relationship

I am bipolar, and I have been bisexual always.....since I was a young teen and now I am over 50

no relatioship between the two in my opinion

why do you think there is a connection between sexual orientation and a mood disorder??

I am curious

This is a topic of great debate, but I personally consider sexual preference to be a thing of circumstance, tons of factors, maybe some genetic though not like a "gay gene" just a few unrelated traits that sway a person in that direction. Bipolar is, at least in my opinion (and I don't believe there to be any proof to the contrary), partially genetic but again, not set in stone. I believe it manifests as a result of how we learn to think and process information at a young age. Who knows, i could be totally off base in my belief.

But the point I somehow imagined getting to is this, if your orientation and your MI are related, its circumstantial. Your not bipolar because your gay, and your not gay because your bipolar, I suspect that maybe because you feel this way there was a catalyst in your life (your youth, at risk of sounding Freudian) that instigated both traits.

Either way, I'm bipolar, I'm not gay. Maybe you being gay caused stress in your life that brought out the bipolar in you early? Its possible, but it was probably inevitable.

Edit: Jarn makes a good point, maybe your bipolar is somehow linked to your sexuality in a more general context? The fact your gay is probably totally irrelevant.

So does that mean since I'm straight I shouldn't have bipolar? I don't think sexuality and mood disorders are related, except because of the added stress of being the minority in society, as tryp pointed out. But I think if boplar is lurking in your brain, eventually it's going to come out, usually (but not always) in response to some sort of life stress, whether the stressor is related to sexuality or not.

Coincidentally, I came out AND was diagnosed as bipolar the same year (at 40), but I don't think they are connected otherwise. I can definately look back in my life and see that they were both there manifesting in different ways since my teens though. As for the lesbian side of me, that was buried pretty deep, I was always pretty hypersexual (maybe due to the bipolar), but I directed it towards men because that's all that I allowed within myself. Once I let myself "go there" in terms of my attraction towards women (ironically at the encouragement of my ex-husband), I realized that it really felt more right. Anyway, tangent, but I don't see them connected for myself....

i feel like this thread has no basis on fact, or even any common sense at all.

I'm pretty sure I saw a post the other day about how someone just knew they could fly. If she is concerned there's no reason not to talk about it.

because of the mania and euphoria that began when i was around certain girls as early as kindegarten...i mean extreme levels, too.....for some reason, some girl sparked it, so it made me pursue that feeling again and again....

If you were hypersexual and experiencing mania by kindergarten, it doesn't sound like being gay had anything to do with being bipolar. Conversely, if you were not bipolar then but attracted to the same sex in kindergarten, then that orientation was already happening before you showed bipolar.

I also have to question whether being around certain people, just by itself, even if there is attraction, can make someone manic. That sounds more like emotions than physiological disorder. I'm not questioning whether you are bipolar, just what this particular trigger sets off.

I also have to question whether being around certain people, just by itself, even if there is attraction, can make someone manic. That sounds more like emotions than physiological disorder. I'm not questioning whether you are bipolar, just what this particular trigger sets off.

This is embarrassing to admit but women who use certain euphemisms are a trigger for me, I had a very bad experience towards the end of a relationship just before a psychotic break. My point is that whether it manifest as mania, anxiety/panic or even psychosis (all of which I've experienced), triggers are psychological, they can be anything and can do any number of things.

I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, it just seems like people are coming at her from every angle to discredit her. Part of me thinks that I completely misinterpreted your statement but I honestly can't tell, if so just clarify and ignore me, I need sleep.

This is embarrassing to admit but women who use certain euphemisms are a trigger for me, I had a very bad experience towards the end of a relationship just before a psychotic break. My point is that whether it manifest as mania, anxiety/panic or even psychosis (all of which I've experienced), triggers are psychological, they can be anything and can do any number of things.

I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, it just seems like people are coming at her from every angle to discredit her. Part of me thinks that I completely misinterpreted your statement but I honestly can't tell, if so just clarify and ignore me, I need sleep.

I didn't take you as arguing. To clarify, I question whether an immediate attraction to someone can cause mania. That's more in the realm of emotion for me. Now, if I am up, I can get hypersexual enough that anyone can be exciting and further elevating.

I'm not clear on what you said. (We seem to miss on communication.) Are you saying that what someone says can make you manic? That's beyond my experience. Instead, I can relate to a very stressful period that ends wrapped in someone's words shortly before or as going nuts.

This thread is perilously close to treating homosexuality as a mental disease or defect, which is making me furious. Have we really made no progress at all on that front?

Ask yourself this: if your meds are working, your mind is simply clear, right? You aren't manic, or depressed-you're just you.

And you're still going to love who you love, and want who you want. That's not sickness. That's being a full-on human being.

Guest Vapourware

I've read this topic a few times and this topic still makes little sense to me. How is someone's sexual orientation linked to bipolar?

Being triggered into mental states is a different topic altogether. People can have a myriad number of triggers for their episodes, but that is due to the underlying mental illness, not your sexual orientation.

If you feel a sense of "euphoria" in the presence of females and you are a female, then that more suggests the idea that your sexual orientation was manifesting itself. I don't see how that is remotely connected to mental illness.

The whole question seems to imply that every gay person = bipolar, but in reality, that is not true.

<p>

</p>

<p>This is a topic of great debate, but I personally consider sexual preference to be a thing of circumstance, tons of factors, maybe some genetic though not like a &quot;gay gene&quot; just a few unrelated traits that sway a person in that direction. Bipolar is, at least in my opinion (and I don't believe there to be any proof to the contrary), partially genetic but again, not set in stone. I believe it manifests as a result of how we learn to think and process information at a young age. Who knows, i could be totally off base in my belief.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>But the point I somehow imagined getting to is this, if your orientation and your MI are related, its circumstantial. Your not bipolar because your gay, and your not gay because your bipolar, I suspect that maybe because you feel this way there was a catalyst in your life (your youth, at risk of sounding Freudian) that instigated both traits.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

OK. No, no, no. This is not a topic of great debate among people who attend to research and reality. Only those who turn to pseudoscience to confirm their insane beliefs that one can pray away the gay. You don't get to have opinions contrary to the evidence based reality. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere, of any kind of catalyst instigating homosexuality. Pretending otherwise is offensive both by implicitly pathologizing sexual orientation, and by the arrogant stupidity required to suppose oneself somehow capable of valid opinions in direct contradiction of all evidence. No different from Michele Bachmann saying evolution is, &quot;just a theory,&quot; or that climate change isn't driven by human behaviors because, "Carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of nature." Unless you're talking about fancy physics, or religious beliefs, reality just is what it is. And again, pretending otherwise is so multiply offensive. Do you think your heterosexuality required an instigating catalyst? I'm guessing not.

Twin studies have consistently shown a very high level of concordance for homosexuality between monozygotic twins. A significant percentage of the difference is believed to have to do with differences in the intrauterine environment, which exist even between monozygotic twins. This is supported by the existence of differential neuroanatomy in homosexual brains. While all kinds of things go on with synaptic connections, brain structures are all developed prior to birth. No study has ever found any evidence that experiences early in life influence sexual orientation.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely, and accessibly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

This study looked at all the twins in Sweden. Some of their parameters are kind of weird, but they found sexual orientation of monozygotic male twins to be determined by genetics, and unique environmental influences. The influence of shared influences was negligible. Because of the way they conducted the study, the measurements of women are weird, given that, at least since the 1990's or so, women have been so much more likely than men to dabble in same sex relationships.

http://faculty.bennington.edu/~sherman/sex/samesex%202010.pdf

This really cool study investigates the means of genetic transmission of homosexuality. They found that, "these results suggest that genes predisposing to homosexuality may confer a mating advantage in heterosexuals, which could help explain the evolution and maintenance of homosexuality in the population."

http://www.matthewckeller.com/Zietsch_HomosexualityEvolution_2008.pdf

This one found the potential for homosexual response to be, "Prevalent and genetic."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051107001433'>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051107001433

This one found further evidence of genetic causality, the increased fecundity of female relatives of male homosexuals, along the maternal line, suggesting a role for the X chromosome, though the mechanism/s by which it exerts its influence are still unclear.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051107001433'>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051107001433

This pinned down chromosomal locations potentially involved in sexual orientation, by linking it to other traits known to be genetically caused. Hair and eye color, for which no correlation was found, and blood type and Rh factor, for which correlations were found. I love the craftiness of this one.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g15680h356758417

This one looked at the consistent rate of male homosexuality across time and cultures. Basing mathematical modeling on that rate, they found, &quot; the two-locus genetic model with at least one locus on the X chromosome, and in which gene expression is sexually antagonistic (increasing female fitness but decreasing male fitness), accounts for all known empirical data. Our results help clarify the basic evolutionary dynamics of male homosexuality, establishing this as a clearly ascertained sexually antagonistic human trait.&quot;</div>

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002282

This gives a good description of the influences of genetics and intrauterine environment in the development of the fetal brain, and mechanisms by which they determine sexual orientation and identity. Finding that, &quot; &quot;There is no proof that the social environment after birth has an effect on the development of gender or sexual orientation.&quot;</div>

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy3.lhl.uab.edu/science/article/pii/B978044453630300004X

If you'd like more studies, there are plenty, all arriving at similar conclusions. Genetics. Intrauterine environment. Done.

i feel like this thread has no basis on fact, or even any common sense at all.

I'm pretty sure I saw a post the other day about how someone just knew they could fly. If she is concerned there's no reason not to talk about it.

And I'm pretty sure any such post was all about how believing you can fly is delusional. All points of view are not equally valid. No matter how concerned anyone is about anything, there's no excuse for disseminating demonstrably false information by pretending it's a matter of opinion. No one can fly, and homosexuality is not caused by any instigating catalyst. I'm not sure any posts anywhere on CB have ever offended me as much as yours in this thread, both intellectually and ethically.

Sasha, I honestly meant no offense. My point about someone thinking they could fly was that reassuring hopelessromantic that her sexual orientation was not related to bipolar was totally within reason on this board, and I obviously made too many implications in my roundabout way of getting there. I didn't mean to offend you and I'm not sure how I did, but I don't claim to be any source of knowledge related to the cause of what (chemically, or otherwise) makes someone gay. If it upsets you that I think something makes someone gay I'm sorry, but i do believe that as the minority something within the brain happens differently.

Different is not worse, I have more bi friends than I do straight friends, I'm not trying to put anyone in the minority.

If you are still upset with me I still don't understand, I would appreciate the chance to talk to you in chat so that I can keep from doing so again.

Archived