CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
maristrider

Considering a stimulant

Considering the possibility of taking some sort of stimulant. I have a 70s diagnosis of "hyperactivity" (think ADHD was always called that back then!). These days, I meet the criteria for ADHD-I. Am I really ADHD? Who knows, given the Dopamax, TBI/ABI and autism. That said, my attention issues look and quack like a duck. Can drink coffee just before bed, too.

Complications: bipolar (with a tendency to go batshit crazy on most anti-depressants - only found one I could tolerate), plus refractory epilepsy (it's taken 20 years to get to the point where it's not severely disabling).

I don't currently have a pdoc, and haven't for many years. There's apparently a neuropsychiatrist working in the same team my neurologist does, but I haven't met him (and I've just discovered my neuro doesn't get my history at all). I'm about to transfer to a new family doctor; one of the other doctors in *her* practice has a particular interest in ADHD.

Suggestions?

Edited by mcx

There are non stim options to consider if you are worried about a a stim, such as strattera and etc. I take provigil which doesn't send me through the roof. That said, neither did the stims, I just prefer the "feel" of provigil, really.

But this is something you'd want a psychiatrist for given the complications I would think.

Anna

Yeah, you really don't want a gp, even one with a special interest in ADHD, handling this. Your best bet probably is to make an appointment with the neuropsych. Just because your neuro doesn't get your history at all, that doesn't mean the neuropsych. won't. Your neuro isn't really trained to get psych. issues.

Suggestions?

I'm also liking the neuropsych idea, because of the nature of the overlapping conditions. I also have the fun combination of epilepsy, ADD, and a mood disorder, and the people you work with either need to be familiar with all parts of it or willing to work closely with the other members of the team who handle the other parts. My neurologist and psychiatrist keep in touch and double check things with each other if they're considering anything that might affect something the other knows more about, just in case, and even my sleep doctors at this point have neuro or psych backgrounds, because it's been too much of a pain to deal with otherwise. I'd be leery of a GP/internist poking at my brain, and mine wouldn't even try and would just refer me to someone else, because she knows what she's not qualified for.

Also, I am semi-successfully on a stim at the moment, too. It took a bit of trial and error to find one that helped without causing too many problems, and we had to fiddle with my ACs a bit to compensate for adding it, but it seems to be going ok. It's not quite everything I dreamed it would be, and it took a while to sort everything out, but it has at least been an improvement over not taking it, so that's something.