CrazyBoards.org

Just curious really as to whether or not this counts as anxiety or paranoia:

Being convinced the world is coming going to end, soon. Basically i will get into my head that the world is ending and get really freaked out by it. Like i can see the world ending in my mind, and i know its coming. It either passes on its own (eventually) or i take some Zyprexa and it goes away that way. My old tdoc said it was anxiety, my GP says it sounds more like paranoia to her, especially because it goes away when i take an anti-psychotic. I havent broached it with my pdoc yet because he never gives me a straight answer and that just ends up leaving me more frustrated than ever.

Just wondered if anyone had any input/ insight...

This is a good example where a symptom can cross the boundaries of both anxiety and paranoia. Low doses of anti-psychotics are also used to treat anxiety. I dont think it really matters in the end whether the symptom is classified as one or the other. The important thing is to treat it correctly and it sounds like your zyprexa works, which is great.

To give another example, I was originally diagnosed with OCD, but later the dx was changed to schizophrenia. My symptoms didnt really change, just the classification.

chimpmaster has good points. There can be cross over and AAPs can work on both anxiety and paranoia/psychosis. The important thing is that you have a solution in the Zyprexa.

The last time I vacillated on the imminent end of the world, was when my Risperdal was lowered too much. We increased it back up and those irrational thoughts went away. The scariest thing for me is that it happened outside of a mood state. We blamed that on the effects of AAP withdrawal and I've been on an AAP since.

I agree on the treating the symptoms, whatever you call them. I get both anxious and paranoid in episodes, and it sucks. AAPs treat this nicely. Yes, the end of the world has entered my little crazy head on many occasions, and oddly enough, it's never happened yet.

Take the zyprexa, call your docs for a med adjustment if you need one.

Anna

I am another who gets both anxiety and paranoia, and I know how much they both suck. But my pdoc said that the paranoia was the underlying cause and I do take the same medication for both symptoms. I actually said on another thread here a few days ago that my psychosis is 50% anxiety.

I am no expert, but I would tend to say that if you are actually convinced that the world is going to end then it sounds to me more like paranoia with the anxiety resulting from that.

Archived