CrazyBoards.org

I don't know; I've wondered about this also. I get unwanted (painful) thoughts, and I've always wondered if that is what is called intrusive thoughts.

If it has a delusion associated with it, I don't think it's called an intrusive thought. The term is often applied to people who are not experiencing psychosis.

I don't know; I've wondered about this also. I get unwanted (painful) thoughts, and I've always wondered if that is what is called intrusive thoughts.

If it has a delusion associated with it, I don't think it's called an intrusive thought. The term is often applied to people who are not experiencing psychosis.

that's about what i was gonna say. i don't get psychotic, but i do get intrusive thoughts with prolonged high anxiety (like now! yay me). they are definitely (even physically) painful, unavoidable, and randomly repeat themselves.

I can't give you an exact definition but to me it means thoughts that just pop up because of anxiety, then they cause more anxiety. It's like a thought process speed bump, to me they more or less mimic my past psychosis, so its like my psychosis left and i replaced it out of a subconscious need for self destruction.

It can literally stop me mid sentence sometimes, or make me trip/stumble.

I would say that intrusive thoughts are unwanted thoughts that just happen.

Thought insertion is when it is somebody else's thoughts. My pdoc has never referred to my thought insertion as intrusive thoughts, but to me I still find them very intrusive. But I think that intrusive thoughts might have to be your own.

But this is just my experience, so don't take any of it as Gospel.

I thought it was unpleasant thoughts that "intrude", which you wouldn't normally think. Such as the sudden thought of shoving someone in front of a bus, which you randomly think, but would never act on. I get that a lot, and for me it's part of my OCD.

That's almost exactly how my pdoc explained it to me. I was just diagnosed with OCD this summer (after previously being diagnosed with compulsions but not full OCD) because I started having what my pdoc called "intrusive thoughts". I would have a sudden urge to slap myself, to drive into a ditch, or to do other things primarily harmful to myself. I hated these thoughts and they scared the hell out of me. They were gone very quickly (just in my mind for a second or a fraction of a second), but they were truly disturbing.

<p>Intrusive thoughts are generally unwanted thoughts that pop into your mind out of the blue. They are usually about things that you dont want to think about and they are commonly disordered. They are a symptom of both OCD and psychosis. In my case, they tend to be suicidal and homicidal. Even though I am on anti-psychotic medication I still get them. Horrible stuff. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Psychotherapy can be very effective at dealing with intrusive thoughts as you can learn to identify and channel the thoughts away - eg that thought was intrusive, i dont want to pay attention to it, move on. </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Archived