CrazyBoards.org

considering it- unilateral vs. bilateral

Penguin

Ok so bilateral scares me from what I've read of its side effects. How does a doctor determine whether to do unilateral or bilateral? Is bilateral really significantly more risky in terms of cognitive impairment? When will I know which my doctor plans to do, at the consultation? Do they ever start with unilateral and only "graduate" to bilateral as needed?

THANKS GUYS!

I had ECT in the fall of 2010. We started with unilateral to see if would be effective. Luckily, it was. I think most docs only progress to bilateral if the unilateral isn't working. If you want to hear about my experience with ECt or have questions please message me.

If I ever did ECT I would universally start with unilateral no matter what, though it can be considered somewhat less effective for some.... but it's so easy to go up to bilateral after a few treatments if unilateral isn't working that I really don't see the downside.

I do think unilateral is being used first more, yes.

Anna

I go in Monday, 6 treatments inpatient. He uses bilateral as his standard, but it's a nonstandard kind called bifrontal rather than the usual bitemporal. Bifrontal shows promising results in studies and he said he had good results with minimal side effects. Apparently the bifrontal works by stimulating the frontal lobes, not the temporal lobes at all.

• 3 months later...