CrazyBoards.org

People looking like monsters...?

After a withdrawal from seroquel and a dosage of steroids this summer things flipped upside down very quickly. When I walked outside of my house I felt as if I was in a horror movie. But worse. Every single person I saw looked twisted, monstrous. A woman with a long neck looked horrific; two girls laughing were terrifying. Their eyes were all black. I couldn't explain it to my mother, I just kept sobbing "It's not right, I feel like an alien from another planet, this isn't right, I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy". Ended up in the ER.

I couldn't look at anyone. I was hysterical. It was awful.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms... such as people looking like monsters?

I experience that. Horrible. Black/no eyes, any sort of slight physical characteristic/abnormality is magnified and distorted (including my own crooked scoliotic body).

My main issue was (and still is) that, for whatever reason, I am drawn to bone structure and the way the skin fits over it so when I look at someone, I notice it and the tissues just start coming away. It was very, very frightening when it started happening all the time.

It's distressing and I'm sorry you're experiencing that as well. :( I've found that with a LOT (years) of retraining my head, I can usually manage it now (unless I'm not feeling well, then I can't manage anything). Mindfulness exercises and what not. Talking to myself, reminding myself that it's not actually happening and just noticing that I'm seeing it, but not putting anything more into it (fear, "this isn't right", etc...).

Do you do any sort of therapy that deals with rethinking (CBT or DBT)?

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I have a similar experience. It's not exactly the same, closer to what ShinKicker described. When I look at people, I automatically start breaking them down into parts. I can't see them as a "whole", only a summary of lots of different parts. It means that their flaws stand out and they look quite horrific.

I haven't found anything that stops me from seeing this yet, but ShinKicker makes a good point in suggesting CBT/DBT.

Good luck!

N

When I am psychotic, I see most things around me as "wrong" (the planes of rooms are at the wrong angle, for instance, or objects look massively out of place-- WHY IS THERE A STOVE IN THE KITCHEN???), but the worst is definitely how people look. When I am deeply psychotic, I can't be around them, because they do look monstrous and I become extremely frightened. When I am in and out of psychosis, I sort of know that even if the people around me look like monsters, they probably aren't. Stores with fluorescent lights magnify this, and peoples faces start to melt and warp with nasty colors. I just walk looking down at the floor and avoid speaking to people when I can. It's best not to speak to people at that point anyway, because it's hard to understand what they are saying.

Of course, all of the above means I need to change something about my meds and do more DBT work (I can't take APs, so it can be hard to get out of those episodes). At this point, I am pretty good at reality checking, and that helps tremendously. Partly that is because I have kids to care for, and I need to stay grounded in their realities-- their presence can be enough to remind me that the world is not as fucked up as it seems. They usually look totally normal, even when everything else is screwed up.

Sounds like you are getting breakthrough psychotic symptoms. Talk to your p-doc about increasing your seroquel. I also notice that your dx doesnt include psychosis. Is this something you have discussed with a mental health professional?

As for what you were seeing, yeah Ive had that too. Its scary.

When I am psychotic I can see people's "internal demons" also trails from the demons they leave behind. Kind of like ectoplasm? The first time it happened was on the psych unit which totally sucked as people on the psych unit are just generally not looking their best anyways.... It's super extra fun let me tell you.

Anna

I see people as incredibly ugly when I'm in a low mood.

I tend to stay home more because of it. I think it really is just flaws magnified, distorted perception

it's always really subtle "wrong" ugliness too. hard to pin it sown precisely.

I hate it.

Archived