CrazyBoards.org

Ive been diagnosed schizoaffective for years now, and Im still hopping around on different meds trying to find the right ones so needless to say my symptoms are not undercontrol. I live with a friend so my family doesnt see my daily struggle. None of my family knows whats wrong with me. When i was 13 my mom overheard me talking about hearing voices and she FREAKED. So its kinda shaped me into a 23 year old woman who hides everything. My brother is taking a psychology course at college and keeps staring at me funny when Im around him. I think hes starting to pick up on it. Is it wrong that I hide this from them? Ideas? Anyone?

It is, of course, up to you whether you want to keep your diagnosis from your family, but you could be unnecessarily limiting your support system. You mentioned you live with a friend, but wouldn't it be nice if you had your family to turn to when you need the extra support?

Personally, I have never told anyone except my close family about my diagnosis. I suggest that you never tell an employer your diagnosis unless absolutely necessary.

I haven't told my family, but then I hate them and want nothing to do with them. But I will repeat what the others have said that it is up to you who you tell. The only people that know my dx are close friends who I can trust, but then most of my friends worked out that something was going on before I got treatment. Usually I just say that I have been ill and leave it at that.

Guest Vapourware

I agree that it is up to you as to whether you want to tell your family or not. It's a shame that your mother reacted badly when you were 13 but perhaps she would be more amendable now. I think it also depends on how you tell your family. Perhaps you can arm yourself with some information sheets about schizoaffective if you are going to tell them.

Your family probably knows that something is up - you already mentioned thinking your brother might know. So, perhaps you spilling the beans to them might not surprise them. Maybe what will shock them is the extent of your symptoms, and the fallout of telling them is something you would have to keep in mind.

However, when you have a condition like schizoaffective, it is important to have a good support network, so getting as many people involved in your support network is important IMO. It's good to have support when you start going batshit.

My close family knows, most of the time they are understanding but no one is perfect. I only tell people who i think will be understanding and non-judgmental, bit of a gamble sometimes, but most of the time it works for okay. At the end of the day like everyone has said its up to you. your brother might guess from what you have said. Hope it works out well for you.

<p>What is your relationship with your brother otherwise? Are you close? It might be worth taking some time out to talk to him - IF YOU THINK IT WOULD BE CONSTRUCTIVE. If not, don't do it yet.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have schizophrenia and my sister has recently been diagnosed with it as well. We arent that close, but we talk about it now and then and its good to be able to share with someone who understands. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am very lucky that I have a supportive wife. I dont know what I would do without her. We share everything, so Ive always got a sounding board.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

I'm also 23 and was diagnosed with Schizophrenia a month ago. Outside of mom, I haven't told a single person in my family for fear of being judged. I know my Grandmother will simply tell me that I have this illness because I don't pray enough (yes, she's one of THOSE people, eek!)

I think the best thing to do is confide in people that you actually trust. I thought that my mom was afraid of me, but really she's just concerned and upset that I have to deal with being schizophrenic. I don't trust very many people in general, but I find that I keep my diagnosis a secret out of fear for other people's reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

When i was 13 my mom overheard me talking about hearing voices and she FREAKED. So its kinda shaped me into a 23 year old woman who hides everything.

i hide everything also. when i was young, my mother was the substitute teacher for my class. she asked the class, "Who has been to the Grand Canyon?" i raised my hand with a few other students. she knew i had never physically been the the grand canyon, but i explained to her that i went with the Brady Bunch. i described the trip and the canyon with full confidence that we were there together. she freaked and never mentioned it again.

-only one person knows my condition. supportive yes, but wavers frequently in understanding my behaviour.

-one friend knows i am on a 'cocktail' for something. i regret even revealing that much.

i don't tell anyone because once i do, there is no going back.

oh yeah, be wary of telling an employer. i am a boss and an employee missed a day and later told me she was bipolar. little did she know i was well beyond bipolar so i didn't have an issue. unfortunately other employees did. the day she quit she came into my office with heavy depression tears and told me her doctor was changing her meds and she had to "go away". i gave her a small encouraging smile, walked over, gave her a hug and said, "i understand." she stopped crying and stared at me the way only we can do.

basically, i believe only we understand each other.

Archived