CrazyBoards.org

Guest Vapourware

The general rule of thumb is that if you are hearing voices that you don't recognise as your own, then they are auditory hallucinations. Not all auditory hallucinations occur outside of your head. You can also get voices within your head.

If this helps - that's how my voices manifest when I have them. They occurred within my head. For the longest period, I thought what I was experiencing was a combination of "internal monologue" and God having conversations with me. The voices would do things like comment on my actions. However, the difference between what I was experiencing and the "internal monologue" that most people get is that to me, those voices didn't belong to me. I experienced them as separate entities.

So yes, I think it would be prudent to talk to your doctor about these symptoms.

<p>It is either a hallucination or an intrusive thought. There is a fine line where the two cross over. The treatment for both is typically the same - anti psychotic medications. I have schizophrenia and I get both.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

So does it count as psychosis if you know it's coming from inside your head?

It doesn't sound like you're experiencing full-blown psychosis, but you are experiencing a psychotic symptom. Knowing that the voices aren't real is a good sign. I used to think that my voices weren't real, too. Now I believe that I have a demon possessing me and that I'm telepathic. It would be wise to seek treatment as soon as possible.

Archived