CrazyBoards.org

My roomate and dear friend is a health nut and is convinced my depression would be better if I paid more attention to my diet, and ate only fruits and vegetables, beans and tofu, essentially. I am resistant because I have no energy to cook and can't imagine doing such a radical change in the current state I am in. I do agree my diet is abysmal, I am too embarassed to even list what I eat here. Let's just say it is unvarying and nutritionally bankrupt. Should I try a whole new diet? Has anyone had success with diet and depression? Thank you!

-Paula

Eat a reasonable diet that you feel like eating. Dr. Phelps recommends a daily multivitamin with minerals and 1 to 6 grams of fish oil with Omega 3.

If we could cure or improve MI with food, the medical establishment and the NIMH would have a recommendation.

a.m..

p.s. Tofu is an an mythical food only rumored to exist. Who ever saw a tofu bush?

I do find that my insides feel better when I eat well. I have stomach problems and when I eat badly, I start feeling sluggish and even a bit sick. I don't want to do anything and it can affect my mood sometimes too. Having a good balance of protein in addition to vitamins and minerals helps a little, in my opinion. It's easy to be depressed when you don't feel so well, I've found.

While not being personally fond of tofu, I agree fully with your roommate. From my personal experience, a nutritious diet, with legumes, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, and a modicum of high-quality protein is the foundation of managing depression and anxiety. When my diet slides into empty calories my depression moves into realms where management is less effective and when my depression becomes unmanageable, my diet becomes less and less healthy and nourishing.

I do not think that depression can be managed solely by diet, but I do find depression is less caustic with a reasonable diet and careful eating.

i understand not having energy for things, but once you get going I find cooking kinda relaxing. good smells, promise of good food. i tend to feel a little better when im eating well just because im proud of myself for it.

plus i have some really yummy tofu recipes if you're interested :)

Watch your sugar intake like a hawk. Sugar will amp you up and then you'll crash, which is no help at all and makes your depression worse. Go easy on the carbohydrates, too. Protein is your friend. Eat yogurt, but make sure-read the label-that it isn't one of the kinds where sugar is the second ingredient on the list.

I have to respectfully disagree with gearhead: protein certainly is important, but complex carbohydrates are very important foods and contain lots of good nutrients and fiber. (I'm talking about whole wheat pasta, brown rice and veggies like sweet potatoes.) My GP (who is a vegan and very informed about nutrition) wants me to eat about 70-75% carbs, 20% protein, and some good oils and fats.

Most people today are eating much more protein than they need.

Malachite, you don't have to turn into a gourmet cook....but if you could do simple things like eat a whole-grain cereal in the morning with a piece of fruit and maybe some yogurt or milk, that's a lot better than having some cookies and a soda. Can you make some small changes? I totally understand that being depressed makes it really hard to get enthusiastic about anything.

Could you sweet-talk your roommate into making you a bean dish or something else with veggies? Maybe if you tried it you would like it. If you shared the expense of the food, could s/he teach you a little about fixing some simple meals?

I agree with everyone who said that good food will NOT cure your depression, but I know that I have more energy and get more things done when I eat well.

We won't talk about the bag of candy corn I ate last night. :P

olga

I've made an effort to lose weight lately, and tone myself up a bit. To do that, I've been putting better fuel into the machine: I feed it all the raw veggies it can handle, supplemented with various whole grains, a bit each of fruit and dairy, and some lean protein, primarily poultry and fish. I should probably eat more red meat, but I have TMJ problems, and there aren't many ways to prepare beef that don't make my jaw ache and creak.

Also, for what it's worth, to help offset the exercises I'm doing, I set up small meals and snacks for every five hours. To be honest, I think this helps more than my actual diet. Having a little something (even just apple slices with peanut butter) keeps my energy levels noticeably more even, not to mention slightly higher overall.

It's working. It's not a miracle--my energy levels still do suck somewhat, and it doesn't do anything for the cognitive slippage, sadly--but it does make a difference.

Having that regular exercise makes a difference, too. I don't do anything heavy-duty: some cardio, light weight lifting for tone, some low level isometrics, rotated roughly evenly. That seems to make as much difference, if not more, than the food.

I don't think you'd be out anything by giving it a try. But tofu is gross. Just sayin'.

Olga, to paraphrase Paracelsus, everything is poison. The question is the dosage. Go forth and eat candy corn! Just not every day. :D

I feel better when I eat (mostly) healthy foods. I do subscribe to a near-vegan diet because my immune system seems to function better on it. As far as depression goes I found I improved the most when I started taking omega3/6 and ginkgo/brahmi tablets (supposed to improve cognitive function). A full overhaul of diet can be difficult to maintain if you feel crappy, so unless your room mate is offering to cook for you I'd try vitamins and light exercise first. Sunshine always helps, good luck.

My roomate and dear friend is a health nut and is convinced my depression would be better if I paid more attention to my diet, and ate only fruits and vegetables, beans and tofu, essentially. I am resistant because I have no energy to cook and can't imagine doing such a radical change in the current state I am in. I do agree my diet is abysmal, I am too embarassed to even list what I eat here. Let's just say it is unvarying and nutritionally bankrupt. Should I try a whole new diet? Has anyone had success with diet and depression? Thank you!

-Paula

Hi there, I recently switched to this diet and it ABSOLUTLEY improved my depression and greatly lessend my anxiety. However, there were other changes/things in my life which improved, that allowed me to get to the point that I could make this switch. Sometimes things are a process....but, yes, diet makes a huge difference. My personal opinion is that I have a mold allergy, so cutting dairy out of my diet is a must. Also, I could probably eat meat (not processed) 2-3 times a week (not currenlty doing this) and be okay as long as I follow my diet otherwise. The beans, veggies, fruit, whole grains is something we all need, but don't normally get enough of in an American diet. Hopefully something that helped me will help you too. :hug:

Archived