CrazyBoards.org

ways to combat agitation and mood swings without AAP's?

ive tried every AAP except for saphris and zyprexa/zydis with mixed success, but more often than not ill have a really annoying side effect with them... right now im on geodon and it causes me to wake up at night like a zombie and raid the fridge with amnesia about it in the morning and my pdoc says its prolly a result of the med tho other than that geodons working since i increased the dose.. i really dont know what i want to do but is there a way i can control agitation and mood swings plus very minor psychosis (paranoia, some delusional worries tho nothing completely crazy) without AAP's or typical AP's?

also im thinking of asking my doc about remeron since im slightly depressed and havent had success with zoloft prozac effexor or wellbutrin without going into mania, or in effexors case, suffering from annoying decreased satisfaction in bed..

Lithium, Lamictal, Depakote, typical AP's., AntiEpileptics, Electroconvulsive Therapy. I recommend you give the Zyprexa a try, since recent practice and a trial published this years shows that AAP's are most effective for manic control.

There are a ton of AD's out there. Your doctor will have his preference about whether or not to try any more AD's without having your mania/hypo under control.

a.m.

Do you take other meds such as meds to help you sleep?

There are other meds to help with mood stabilization, and AirMarshall has given you a pretty good list. But if I were you, I'd be concerned with the psychosis even if it is minor because it could become suddenly worse and you might not have the insight to know it.

When I was misdx'ed with schiz, I burned through all the AAP's at the time with the exception of Clozapine with none improving my mood and functionality significantly. After I was correctly dx'ed and put on Tegretol and now Trileptal, I am the most stable I have been in years. If your primary issue is a mood disorder and you are not on a mood stabilizer or an antiepileptic approved as such, I personally and highly recommend mentioning the option to your pdoc.

Archived