CrazyBoards.org

What is your agenda for a psych appointment?

Maybe it's because I'm OCD, but I like to have an agenda for my meeting. But, I've yet to find a format I'm happy with.

I like to go over ratings of anxiety and depression, update my doctor on the meds I'm taking to make sure we both are on the same page (sometimes he 'forgets' I still take something, etc.).

Then I try to sneak in a psychotherapy topic in the last few minutes, something practical about life.

What format do your 20 minute meetings usually take?

My meetings typically consist of me over explaining every symptom and how they relate, there is very little order other than a start and a finish. I think I could benefit from a little order but I get very apprehensive about my meetings and once I walk through the door I get very anxious, so I just blab.

Have you talked to your therapist about this? I don't know much about the treatment of OCD but I believe a big part of it is stepping outside your danger zone to reinforce the idea of safety. Maybe you could benefit from a little less order, who knows.

I don't plan anything out ahead of time, unless I'm having a particular issue. Then I may write it down so I don't forget. I'm doing well so my appointments are mainly for med refills. He does ask me about how I'm doing.

My tdoc appointments are longer and I try to think about something to discuss.

You sound more organized.

If I organize too much, I'm not giving the doctor much room to do his thing. I guess I try to plan it so carefully because I know I'll only get 20 minutes, and then i'll have to wait a while before I can get expert advice again.

it's like, you only get 3 wishes (and you can't wish for more wishes), so how are you going to use them? In this case, I get 20 minutes. It scares the bajeebes out of me.

I hardly speak at all with my pdoc unless my appointment is somehow after tdoc so basically my 20 minutes is answering question about medication and he will ask a question or two that are personal come to think of it he probably has an agenda it all seems rather routine maybe I should write down an agenda of questions that I am concerned with it would have to be important I dont wont to piss him off

I find that the times I feel I need an agenda, I'm most in need of being brutally honest about WHY that is. I wish we could put our social sensibilities aside sometimes, but old habits die hard, even when we CAN let go...

You're right... Ill definitely remember this.

I don't have any agenda. I go there only to talk about meds. He always tries to inject something about my life into the discussion, but I don't like that because he can't help me with my problems. When he does that, I always walk away feeling worse because he is not the most positive person in the world.

I don't even get prescriptions from him when I go. I fill out my prescriptions on a mail pharmacy order form (my insurance company requires this) and mail them to him, he signs them, and faxes them into the pharmacy.

So, usually my appointments never line up with when I need refills, and even if they did, we still have to fill out the form.

So, if all I'm doing is driving an hour to go talk to him for 20 minutes, I figure I should at least talk about something important. You just can't fix life in 20 minutes.

I actually collect questions and observations between visits, and make a list of symptoms I have been having, because if I wait until I see him to tell him, I am only going to be able to tell him what is going on with me right that second. I write it all down the night before my visit.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Angerr
      Had a tiny fight with my psychiatrist, he seems to be dobuting my diagnosis. In the hospital they tried to say i was bpd with bipolar, but my psychologist says i cant be bpd and even my psychiatrist used to think im not. I dont have any bpd traits other than emotional inestability. Anyways im mad bc people dobut my psychotic symptoms he thinks is just something from my imagination or something "typical" from me. Im mad bc the new medication is not working and now i have panic attacks i didnt had before. The  hospital kinda helped kinda made things worse. I feel like my doctor has left me behind, he doesnt care anymore, if he had answered or seen me  15days before when i asked, before i had my big crisis i wouldnt had ended in hospital. Im scheduling an appointment with a new doctor. But i feel so lost, so sad, like no one can help me, not even doctors. Its not fair. This illness is destroying my life. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems with doctors? Have you had a moment where medication made things worse? 
    • By Unburdened
      I have finally decided to go off Wellbutrin (Bupropion/Zyban) as I just cannot live with this anger and rage attacks any longer. I spend my day swearing, (I can’t fit enough swear words in a sentence), clenching my hands until they are rigid, screaming and hurting my throat, telling myself I wish I was dead and having even more intrusive thoughts than normal, even thoughts that wake me up in the middle of the night and I respond by telling myself to fuck off while I‘m laying there in bed. The anger has alarmed me and I can feel the cortisol surging through my body. I’m getting off this medication by myself without help because I went to see my psychiatrist the other day sand he virtually dismissed me and was clearly annoyed with me for having too many side effects and he was frustrated at how difficult I was to treat. There was no sympathy whatsoever. He said we’ve exhausted all avenues. I felt like a fool for not responding correctly to medications that he thought should work. It was a waste of money seeing him and I’m sick of doctors telling me it’s worth having numb genitals or inability to orgasm if you find a pill that gets rid of your depression. The doctor was frustrated with me before for all the pills I’ve been on that I couldn’t tolerate because of sex issues. The Wellbutrin didn’t do anything negative for me sexually (it seemed to have a big improvement on me sexually, actually), but the insane anger is just too much to live with. The anger was over the most minor of things, such as the vacume cleaner cord getting tangled, or losing internet connection. I’m currently on Lamotrigine 200 mg by itself which I hope will help my depression/anxiety.
    • By dogsdogsdogs
      hey there! 
      I recently started seeing a new psychiatrist since my drug regimen of the last 3 years has plateaued and my old psych was terrible. This new doc seems to know what she's talking about and I like her. Basically my antidepressants have hit a block and feel like they've stopped working. So she suggested adding a little helper on top of what I'm already taking. Her first request was Wellbutrin, BUT when I mentioned that I use an albuterol inhaler for my asthma she said that Wellbutrin and albuterol have a bad interaction and pretty much threw out the idea of trying out Wellbutrin.  She put me on 2mg Abilify instead. It's only been a week but I'm not liking the immediate side effects of Abilify that I've been experiencing and hopefully it will even out eventually. BUT in case it doesn't I want to be able to have other options. 
      I've heard so many good things about Wellbutrin. When I tried looking up Albuterol and Wellbutrin interactions I've come up with NOTHING. even on the drug interactions checker. So my question is, has anyone ever heard of this before?? If so, what exactly is the interaction??? 
      If nothing comes of this, I'll ask the new doc about it when I see her again in a month, but for now it's really killing me to know! 
    • By UpDownGirl
      Day two of a hypomanic episode and idk how much longer I can deal with it. On top of that I got into a fight with a friend that ended with him saying that I'm dead to him. Taking tomorrow off work to see my psych but I'm worried I won't get in. Have any of you called in last minute? I'm worried about that more than anything. I know I'll deeply regret burning another bridge but right now I just want to focus on feeling better. 
    • By Stephanie1485
      My name is Stephane, and I've been recently diagnosed with borderline and/or bipolar II...which is where my dilemma comes in. My psychologist believes I have borderline PD, my psychiatrist, who spends more time with me, believes I have rapid cycling bipolar II. I see my psychologist once a month and my psychiatrist twice a week. I've tried to get them to talk to each other to come up with one concrete diagnosis, but they only want to go through me. I know a diagnosis won't define me, but I sure wish I knew what I am so I can come up with a plan of action. Has anyone else had this issue? I believe I'm bipolar--I was diagnosed bipolar by my primary care physician as a child--but I can't help but feel mounting frustration. The doctor not in charge of my meds wants my meds upped to take the edge off my psychosis. The doctor in charge of my meds gets mad that the other doctor is challenging his BPD diagnosis and says no. Help. What would be a good way to help fix this? I love both my doctors and respect them both, but the only thing they agree on is that I have OCD.