CrazyBoards.org

Driving

I'm supposed to go see some friends in a few days and I'm freaking the hell out because I have to drive 2 hours. Something about driving really freaks me out, and it's not unusual for me to have panic attacks while I'm driving. Especially highways and ESPECIALLY if I'm driving somewhere I have never been before. I start thinking about my car swerving off the road, or being tailgated really closely, or my car breaking down. Its been awhile since I've been on a lil road trip and it is freaking me out. I am tempted to just cancel the whole thing because I am just so uneasy about it. Hopefully the Ativan will make the trip a little more smoothly but I'm still worrying. Help! :(

Edited by Erinface

• 3 weeks later...

I hope my reply isn't too late, but I have the same problem with driving long distances on high ways. I hope this helps, but these are some things I try that help me while traveling.

Try to go easy on the ativan if you do take it, because it can make you less alert too. Maybe take half your usual dose 1/2 hour before you get in your car, see how you feel, and take the other half if you feel that you need it. Something I noticed about not having slept well and having anxiety from the sleep deprivation, is that taking ativan helps, but it relaxes your body enough so that you begin to realize how tired you really are, and this can make driving difficult too. Get a good nights sleep (and avoid caffine, it will increase your heart rate and possibly tirgger anxiety) before your trip and eat a good meal before hand and bring snacks like snack bars that are easy to eat on the road (hypoglycemia can trigger anxiety, so dont forget to eat!). Listening to calming music in your car helps. Remind yourself that you can always stop and rest, or turn back and go home. Make sure your car is in good shape (tire pressure, spare, oil, etc), cell phone is fully charged, that you have sunglasses in case the sun gets in your eye while driving, you have an emergency car repair service number to call, and that you have your route planned out ahead of time, GPS really helps too. Think about successful road trips that you have had in the past, even if you felt anxious during those times, you still managed made it safely. I feel safer letting someone know when I am leaving, and when to expect my arrival. I often tell a close friend or family member that I will call them before and after I get there, and if I dont call by a certain time, ask them to call and check on me. I try to avoid driving at night or in the rain, and I stay in the middle lane so I dont worry about having to drive too fast or other cars merging onto the freeway.

If you feel anxious, try to find a good place to exit and park and try to take some deep breaths before you start on your way again, even if you have to do that a few times the whole way there (try to leave a bit earlier if you think you may need to do this). If this does not help and you really feel unsafe to drive, its okay to turn around and go back.

Remembering these things have helped me feel more secure and to get in the car and make it to my destination. Each time it gets easier and easier to hit the road, and eventually you get accustomed to knowing that things will be okay.

I have severe driving anxiety too. Even my normal commute to work (just 16 miles) leaves me shaken and out of breath. I am terrified that a wheel will come off or something. The speed limity is 60, but everyone goes 65 (me too) and an awful lot of people tailgate and whip around the cars in front of them. I have had both my side morrors hit by semis, so I really get worried when they are going past. To relax I listen to music -- I've had the same Dido tape in my truck for seven years and can't drive if I change tapes. I also pray a lot on the drive in. When they do construction on my normal route, I usually get lost, though last wednesday night I took an alternate route and it worked... Yay! When I go somewhere with my wife she always drives unless it is something we need my truck for and then I have to drive because she is pretty short and can't reach the pedals.

Tommy

• 1 month later...
Guest Vapourware

I used to be a very anxious driver, and would be hesitant about driving. I actually found that driving more helped me. I guess that was like exposure therapy - I got used to driving and realised that the chance of something bad happening was fairly low.

I've been driving for about seven or so years and I've only had two accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have anxiety issues with driving. I get worried something will happen, and it makes me con my mate into driving half the time. But I usually force myself to drive and its true, its like exposure therapy... the more you do it the less it bothers you. Some days its worse than others, but when you gotta go somewhere, ya gotta go. So I just do it and get it over with. Long road trips freak me out too and those are the situations where I have to take a clonazepam before I go otherwise I tend to have panic while driving which I am sure you know sucks big time...

My anxiety gets worse every time I drive. Part of it is fear of being hit and part of it is getting lost. My wife will show me where particular highways go time-after-time, but I just can't remember the routes. I can't even find my various doctors' offices all the time and often end up driving around a neighborhood that is not even close to my doc. I always remember how to get to pdoc office though. I used to love driving.

• 4 weeks later...