CrazyBoards.org

will there be a cure for BP and if so how

will there be a cure for BP   

8 members have voted

1. 1. if you think there will be cure what branch science or medicine will it come from BP

• stem cell research
    • pharmacology a drug that nips in the bud
    • psychiatry and a combination therapy
    • therapeutic a new way to tweak youout maybe with an added stimuli
    • do you feel if there is a cure for then surely it will cover all MI's
    • do you feel there is already a cure and it is being kept from us

I am really curious about this because over the last year or so I've heard this from my friends as well as the conspiracy theory and the simple there's nothing really wrong with you you merely have some issues in your mind that you need to work out

Mental illness is not an excuse, its not pretend, it's real. Ofter times people make statements like that because from their perspective they get sad sometimes, they get moody and so on, why should we be any different.

In my opinion there is no cure and will be no cure for general MI, it doesn't seem plausible, all you can do is treat and hope. Most MI is considered to have roots in genetics, whether it makes your MI inevitable or predisposed. Maybe there will be a way of treating before onset once we can reliable and definitively identify genetic markers, or maybe we will be able to truly treat to a point of normalcy, but I don't believe cures are within the realm of possibility.

I think we will have better treatments, more subtle and targeted with fewer side effects, I hope.

A cure?? you are kidding, right? ever watch Conspiracy Theory w Mel Gibson?

Look, if there was a 'cure' for mental illness a fortune could be made in selling us the cure. I would gladly cash in my meagre retirement savings and hand it over for a cure.

I hate to be negative in this post, but I'm just stating my belief. My belief is that even if there was or will discover a cure for BP it will be kept hidden. I say that because than psychiatrists would be put out of business and drug companies would not make money from drugs people are not taking.

So while a cure would be a good thing, there may be forces that will suppress this information (in my belief), should it come to light.

It seems to me like that would imply a bunch of professionals getting together and saying we need to keep these people sick for the sake of our wallets, people who for the most part went to school to help people. Not to mention the possibility of competitive greed, where one person could stand to make a lot of money with such a cure. Any pharma company would produce it in a second with all sorts of insane inflation.

I do agree that gene therapy shows promise, but the side effects of rewiring someones brain after development seems like it would cause MI to me, but that's just a guess really, I don't know the extent of whats possible in that field. Maybe adolescent treatment could prevent onset, who knows.

Please understand that's not meant as an attack, just discussion.

Actually the problem with the common cold is its really thousands of different viruses, with new ones popping up all the time in the great petri dish we call earth. Then the drug has to be cheap enough to mass produce. I wouldn't be surprised to see advanced gene therapy before we see a cure for the common cold, hell we've been trying for like 20 years.

I hate to be negative in this post, but I'm just stating my belief. My belief is that even if there was or will discover a cure for BP it will be kept hidden. I say that because than psychiatrists would be put out of business and drug companies would not make money from drugs people are not taking.

So while a cure would be a good thing, there may be forces that will suppress this information (in my belief), should it come to light.

Andy, I think the drug companies and big business are much more powerful than a bunch of small time pdocs. There would be huge money in a cure. Your pdocs would just be SOL.

I think there needs to be clear understanding about cause before you can talk cure. Right now, it sounds like there is no single thing responsible but a multitude, maybe. Nobody currently knows, which makes a cure unlikely, at least in our lifetimes. Improvements in meds and treatments, however, I hope will happen.

I think a MI genetic cure will be pretty low on the list, honestly. From hearing about what directions gene therapy is going in. You never know really. Genetic therapy is really best for one particular, small, genetic anomoly and if you find the right one it's great but MI is so complex atm that it's still far off.

I do think there will be continually better meds for awhile, maybe, though I will point out all my most useful meds are now generic so. Eh. I 'm not quite sure what that means.

Anyway, it's okay. At least there are SOME treatments that work SOME of the time now. I'd be fully institutionalized my whole life without meds, I'm completely convinced.

Anna

I did vote, and I said pharmacology, said the pharmacologist's daughter. I am talking about *if ever* there were a cure, ever, I think it will pharmacological. That still wouldn't be a cure, it just would be effective treatment. And there will always be outliers, no matter how awesome a medication it is for people in general.

ETA: So I guess I don't think it can be cured after all.

I don't think there will be a true cure, but I am optimistic that there will be a way to definitively test for what exactly's wrong, so that you can be prescribed the correct medication right off the bat, and then be monitored to maintain the correct dosing.

I think that in 500 years they'll be looking back at us in pity, the same way we do when thinking about Middle Ages medicine, such as leeches.

I am also hopeful that drugs will be improved so that there will be an injection that will last several months, in the same way that birth control has evolved. I don't need the added pressure of suddenly realizing I'm almost out of my crazy meds and making a dash for the nearest drugstore, which in my rural location is 25 miles away.

I believe the best we can hope for in any of our lifetimes is the development of more sophisticated, affordable medication as well as a more subtle understanding of what each person's unique set of symptoms requires. Also, something not to be discounted is society as a whole becoming more accepting and compassionate towards people with MI, which I think is happening, but don't we all wish it would happen faster.

Archived