CrazyBoards.org

Is there a way to STOP this shit from happening? I can tell it's coming. I just want to know how to stop it. I think being aware that it's on it's fucking way helps a little.

I make little to-do lists every day and usually I do them, but today the idea of emptying the dish-drainer fills me with dread. So does the idea of studying (I have a psych exam this week)

What are some proactive things that I can do to stop this from happening or at least lessen the severity? What do you do?

I also know that it at least has SOMETHING to do with some situational shit that I'm dealing with at the moment. This shit has lead to a lot of very negative self-talk and seemingly an inability to challenge these bad thoughts because they seem so REAL.

When I'm totally well, I can challenge the thoughts. I don't sleep days away. But I'm not too far down to do anything about it, so yeah, what do you do to stop it? Is it possible? Any ideas?

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Do you have a therapist? My therapist is good at challenging my negative thoughts even though I am not at the present time. I suggest you keep track of all your negative thoughts by writing them down, and take it with you the next time you see your therapist. If you could get an appointment sooner, it might help.

Also, I know that this is trite, but try to eat a balanced diet and get exercise. Sometimes that will help hold it off or at least, lessen the severity. If it hits you and gets bad, see your pdoc because you might need a med adjustment.

Edit: typos

Is there a way to STOP this shit from happening? I can tell it's coming. I just want to know how to stop it. I think being aware that it's on it's fucking way helps a little.

Does your pdoc know you feel like this? Mine drills it into my head every time I see him (currently every 3 months) that if I feel like I'm slipping, to call him right away. He said it's lots easier to head things off at the pass than to deal with a full-on episode.

My fall-back thing mood improver is to get outside under the daytime sky, even if it's cloudy, even if it's drizzly, although I draw the line at rain. Something about sunlight (even when cloudy) brings my mood back up. There's some scientific basis for it, too, but I'm too lazy right now to look it up. The best part about it is it's cheap, you don't have to get dressed up, and it's easy. It's about the only good thing I could do consistently last time I visited the abyss.

Thanks, guys. I would call p-doc, but I'm trying to learn ways to cope that don't involve meds since I'll be coming off of mine in November, I'm pretty sure. My p-doc has a very specific idea of depression and me starting to feel depressed yet still functioning wouldn't even be a big deal at all to him, unfortunately.

Getting outside is a good idea. I should probably just EMPTY the dish drainer, then maybe I'd feel better. Like I said, it seems overwhelming. How ridiculous, right? Ugh. I CAN DO IT!

I see t-doc on a weekly basis, and we're working on it. I haven't been in the pit since starting with this new one, so one of our goals was to figure out ways to get my ass moving when I'm depressed. So I see her Wednesday and we'll talk about it. Not that I am depressed yet, but I could see it happening.

My diet and exercise ARE horrible. I know I felt better when I used to run. Seems like I don't have time for shit like that anymore. .

To do lists help me when depressed.

Breaking things down into infinitesimal chunks so I don't feel overwhelmed.

Letting myself have some time to "wallow in my depression and just BE depressed" but limiting the time also helps.

Good diet, exercise, social support all that is good too, to a point.

Meds, mostly meds.

I would not work with a pdoc who didn't think my being depressed but functional would be remotely okay. No freaking thanks.

Anna

Thanks, guys. I would call p-doc, but I'm trying to learn ways to cope that don't involve meds since I'll be coming off of mine in November, I'm pretty sure. My p-doc has a very specific idea of depression and me starting to feel depressed yet still functioning wouldn't even be a big deal at all to him, unfortunately.

Why are you going to go off meds in November? I understand having a bad pdoc, I've run across a few myself. If I were you I would find a new pdoc, and during the initial (normally longer) intake appointment, I would tell him everything that's going on, and that you want to stop your meds. I'm having trouble understanding why you think stopping meds is a good idea, or will make anything better.....

Oh, yeah, I see him next in November, that's why I'm waiting. If I didn't have to wait to see him, I'd go off them now. I honestly don't even know if he'll agree to it, since he said that I have to be well for six months before coming off them and it will only have been four when I see him. I highly doubt he pays attention to detail like that though. I'm honestly going off them to see if everyone is right about them making me worse instead of better.

ETA: My p-doc seems to think this is ALL due to anxiety, so I should be able to therapize that away, correct? And need no meds? I don't know. I personally feel like I'm heavily medicated for anxiety. I also feel that there's something other than anxiety going on, but if he doesn't think so . . .

I know I should find a new p-doc. I just keep hoping that one day, this one will catch on.

Anyway, yesterday I took my psych exam and that made me feel better because it took some pressure off of me and I actually accomplished something. I didn't do the dishes or anything though :(

Today I plan on doing dishes and getting outside. Hopefully that will help it.

For the dishes and physical things like that, One thing that helps me is to just get moving somehow and stay moving. Combating inertia. If I can somehow just get myself moving, then I can steer myself over to where the dishes are and get started more easily

I just try to get by minute to minute, task at a time. looking at everything all at once can seem overwhelming, i know sometimes just taking a shower or unloading the dishwasher sometimes can seem overwhelming too, when you're really depressed. Just try to take it one step at a time.

I'm dealing with the very same question myself recently. Due to a very bad breakup I have crashed in the last 3 months.

getting out of bed has been a chore!

I like the others' ideas of breaking tasks into little pieces. I moved in August and still have not unpacked....the tasks seem

insurmountable to me.

My therapists says baby steps, one at a time.

I hope you fine a solution that works for you soon. Me Too!!

I don't know. Are you going off your meds to spite your pdoc for thinking that ALL your problems are due to anxiety? Like, "I'll show him, I've got a mood disorder too!"

I would personally just get a new pdoc. Get a fresh perspective if you are worried you have a mood disorder. This pdoc obviously doesn't think you have a mood disorder. You do think you have one. You know yourself best. Get a second opinion. You can do it! I don't want you to go off all your meds in Nov. and get worse just to be like "I told you so" to your pdoc. Don't give him that gratification. Get a second opinion and say that you are having problems with mood and anxiety. The new pdoc can diagnose you from there. Your current one obviously isn't listening to you. That's a sign of a bad pdoc. I know, I had one for over two years maybe three. Now I'm finally getting a new one! Can you believe it?!!?! It's time for a new pdoc for you too emperor. You've dealt with this one long enough. He isn't meeting your needs. Find one that does. Good luck!

Archived