CrazyBoards.org

Last two days terrible racing thoughts at night

I wasn't sure if these were hallucinations or racing thoughts. But reading this on wikipedia makes it clear it is racing thoughts.

"Racing thoughts may be experienced as background or take over a person's consciousness. Thoughts, music, and voices might be zooming through one's mind. There also might be a repetitive pattern of voice or of pressure without any associated "sound". It is a very overwhelming and irritating feeling, and can result in losing track of time.

Generally, racing thoughts are described by an individual who has had an episode as an event where the mind uncontrollably brings up random thoughts and memories and switches between them very quickly. Sometimes they are related, as one thought leads to another; other times they are completely random. A person suffering from an episode of racing thoughts has no control over his or her train of thought and it stops them from focusing on one topic or prevents sleeping"

My question to you guys is has anyone else experienced this if so what have you done to stop it? It was absolutely terrible. I felt like I was losing control. During it for a few moments i had thoughts like "I must be really mischievous" then pictured myself with a sly smile like i was doing/did something naughty. Really weird experience. What is the best way to stop this when it happens? It seems to start slow then build up speed faster and faster and hits a peak then settles down. I tried laying down and when I did the first thing I wanted to do was get up. Then when I got up I wanted to lay down. Was a situation in which I couldn't win. I will say if this ever happens, it usually is at night. I was in the hospital early this year because of this. 2 times to be exact once er other inpatient.

I would be willing to do anything to make sure I never experience this again. So if anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be great. Just the absolute worst experience of my life. It happened really bad 2 days ago and yesterday was bad but better than the day before. I hope it doesn't happen again tonight. It starts with a change of mood. First i feel depressed/ anxious then I feel this build up of momentum and the racing thoughts begin:(

I have issues with racing thoughts as well. Lamictal calmed things down for a bit. However, now that I've started school and I'm unbelievably stress out, I am experiencing racing thoughts again. My pdoc has upped my dose of lamictal and added Lexapro to my "cocktail"....

I wonder, though, if it is correlated with caffeine intake? I notice when racing thoughts are at its worst is also when I seem to be taking in excessive amounts of caffeine during the day and on a regular basis....

Also, I think this is why I really love working out. I seem to be more into fitness than most people I know. I think it's because it eases all my racing thoughts and makes me feel calm. Maybe exercise can help? Or some other form of release? -Listening to music, sewing, etc.

I had something similar where I would have one thought lead to another and it would go around in circles. I didn't know how to explain it to my pdoc. That's when I had a mood stabilizer added. For me it was depakote and it slowed everything down.

I tried a technique called "thought stopping" where you say in your mind or out loud for the thoughts to stop. Some people visualize a stop sign. It didn't work for me.

I would describe what is happening to your pdoc. After the med change the thoughts stopped and they haven't come back.

That Wikipedia article is nice and succinct...

I've had racing thoughts all my life. My current cocktail is doing a pretty good job preventing them (see signature), but for breakthrough symptoms, I take more Seroquel. And I exercise, hard, almost every day. And I never touch caffeine-it's like racing thoughts in a jar.

What meds are you on?

Wow. I posted on this not too long ago, asking the board if they thought it was hallucinations, because I hear voices when I'm trying to sleep. Someone suggested that it's racing thoughts, which seemed to fit, and still does based on what you've posted.

So anyway, yeah. I've experienced it. It's worst during hypomania for me, and was much more frequent before I started taking Lamictal. During my last hypomania, it was one of the first symptoms I noticed, and one of the things the pdoc considered when raising my Lamictal dose.

Also, you mentioned the specific thing about "I must really be mischieveous" and seeing your face in a sly smile which sounds familiar too. Sometimes I will hear a phrase like that repeated over and over and over in my head, and often it will have a visual image associated with it that also gets repeated. It's maddening. The meds helped with that too, but I figure it's just all part of the "racing thoughts" thing.

I dislike racing thoughts extremely and experience them most frequently at night, or when episodic, they can be absolutely debilitating.

I find pacing to help, (in counted steps) and, of course, the right medication cocktail. Often if I'm having racing thoughts at night I do not lie in bed, I distract myself with something I can do out of bed until the racing slows down so I don't feel trapped in bed... sometimes having an outside stimulus helps me a lot.

Good luck, yeah, they suck. Do mention to pdoc, there are extremely effective possible med interventions as well as therapeutic interventions, depending on how bad they are. When mine are really bad I can throw all the therapy stuff I want at it and it does jack, so then I turn to a PRN med.

Anna

racing thoughts tend to freak me out, too.

if i'm having them at night, i get OUT of bed. there's nothing worse than laying there listening to THAT and getting more and more anxious by the moment.

sometimes it helps to pace around, sometimes that makes me worse. i use the "stop sign" imagery, but i can't just visualize the stop sign, i have to visualize smashing it again and again (this only has about a 20% success rate).

i put on a television show that i find funny. even if i can't pay attention to it, my surroundings feel benevolent, and the laughter in the background reminds me that the rotten crap is IN my head (and not surrounding me in the real world).

but meds, yeah. meds are the only real way to squash these. all that seems to work for me is AAPs, i dunno, maybe i'd have even more racing thoughts without lamotrigine too (i don't wanna find out).

That Wikipedia article is nice and succinct...

I've had racing thoughts all my life. My current cocktail is doing a pretty good job preventing them (see signature), but for breakthrough symptoms, I take more Seroquel. And I exercise, hard, almost every day. And I never touch caffeine-it's like racing thoughts in a jar.

What meds are you on?

On latuda and ambien. I was on lamictal since january but stopped it last month cause of itching. I'm not sure if thats why it has gotten worse. But I will also say that when this happens i take symbyax( prozac and zyprexa) and that seems to knock it out in less than 30 minutes. Problem is as we all know zyprexa will give you diabetes and a heart attack in a hurry. I'm trying to find a drug that will prevent these racing thoughts from happening in the first place.

Hmmm. So you aren't sure if this started when you went off Lamictal-your mood stabilizer?

Symbyax is a weird drug. Are you taking a dose that's more heavily weighted toward the Prozac, or the Zyprexa? I ask because Zyprexa is an AAP, like Seroquel, whereas Prozac is an SSRI and can make people with any kind of bipolar kind of manic, and racing thoughts is a classic symptom of mania.

I tried a technique called "thought stopping" where you say in your mind or out loud for the thoughts to stop. Some people visualize a stop sign. It didn't work for me.

When mine are really bad I can throw all the therapy stuff I want at it and it does jack

Same here

Hmmm. So you aren't sure if this started when you went off Lamictal-your mood stabilizer?

Symbyax is a weird drug. Are you taking a dose that's more heavily weighted toward the Prozac, or the Zyprexa? I ask because Zyprexa is an AAP, like Seroquel, whereas Prozac is an SSRI and can make people with any kind of bipolar kind of manic, and racing thoughts is a classic symptom of mania.

Well I went off of it for good on sept 4th. On sept 20th is when my first racing thoughts episode began. The symbyax is 6 mg zyprexa and 25 zoloft. Symbyax is somethin I had from last year that isn't apart of my current regimen. I only took it as a desperation act. It does seem to work well for it. Problem is the side effects are terrible. Diabetes/ high cholesterol etc. Also is there a good way to tell racing thoughts from mania vs depression? I do however think the racing thoughts are from depression. My doctor prescribed me prozac to see if that helps. Any thoughts on prozac in this situaton?

Um being on one SSRI when Bp can be a mistake. Being on two would be..... not so smart. For one, you can get SSRI syndrome, not to mention exacerbating mania.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are currently taking zoloft (ssri number 1) symbiax (which contains both zyprexa and prozac-- SSRI number 2) and prozac (SSRI number 3)?????

No no no, don't do that, go see pdoc immediately.

Anna

If I read this right, you are on Latuda and Ambien. On occasion, you've also taken Symbax (Zyprexa and Prosac combined) to help slow/stop the racing thoughts. Symbax helped.

If this is right, IMO, Zyprexa is doing what Latuda should be doing. It seems to me, FWIW since I am only anonymous Internet person no. 5499, you may need more Latuda, Lithium or an anticonvulsant stabilizer in addition to latuda, or Latuda is not the right med for you. It could be that it is not doing enough or it could be too activating and causing the racing thoughts. Dunno. AAPs usually are the emergency weapon against racing thoughts. Lithium and anticonvulsants can be very good but they take time to act. I personally have found AAPs best, and also at dealing with the left over chatter of racing thoughts. So, for these reasons by this totally unprofessional, I'd have a serious talk with your doc about racing thoughts and Latuda as soon as you can get an appt... and push for that appt asap.

Wait, are you on Prozac and Zoloft both?

Oh i'm sorry I meant prozac. To clarify I am currently taking latuda ambien and prozac. I was taking latuda and ambien and I took symbyax(zyprexa and prozac) to help stop the racing thoughts. Also to also clarify it seems that when I took the latuda earlier than normal I began to have racing thoughts within 2 hours. So I just went back to taking it at night. The reason I tried to take it earlier was because I noticed that as the day goes on my mood tends to shift downwards and things seem to become darker. So I wanted to see if taking more of the med would help which it didn't. It made it way way worse. First time I took it at 4 pm and by 6 i was going through racing thoughts hell. Then took it at 7 and 8 pm the next 2 days and around 9 clock I went through that same pain. So the last 2 days I took it 24 hours later and seem to have not had to deal with any racing thoughts since. Which is great but I still don't know what to do about this down feeling that starts at 3 pm.

When mine are really bad I can throw all the therapy stuff I want at it and it does jack

Same here

Ditto. I really think this is a problem that needs meds, not therapy.

I was diagnosed 20 years ago and as a new drug came on the market I was prescribed it.My current cocktail is lithium, lamictal,wellbutrin and cymbalta.The one drug I feel I can ALWAYS count on when I get going and the anxiety builds is ATIVAN, which helps 4-5 hour period. At night I use kolonopin for a good nights sleep

Archived