CrazyBoards.org

another ignorant comment

Ugh...so my depression is hitting me really hard latley. I've been sleeping like 15-18 hours a day or so and I'm still tired. I went to the doctor (only b/c someone forced me and promised me i'd go) but everything is fine physically, and they pushed me out of the door really fast, like how dare I even try to waste their time. anyway..i was talking to someone else today, and i was explaning that i have depression and take anti-depressents and he says "Well, everyone has depression issues, it just depends on how well you deal with it" ugh, this statment pissed me off for some reason. Yes, everyone may get sad from time to time but not EVERYONE has severe depression, and it's not soemthing you just readily "control". I'm so mad now. I hate stupid people and stupid comments...I"m sorry, everyone, I just wanted to rant, i guess.

Horrible, just horrible. That person is just ignorant. It's infuriating yes, but pay it no mind. I can't tell you how many times people have such awful things to me. It's not worth spoiling your day over because I can guarantee you that person is not going to lose sleep over it. F him.

I think this is where I'd usually go on a tirade, but it seems somewhat covered in the last half dozen posts, sometimes they just don't know better, try and give them the benefit of the doubt, even if they are mostly presumptuous dicks.

People saying things like this really get to me. I once went to my GP about I think it was my pain, but it was definitely something physical whatever it was, and I was told to come back when I was better with reference to my mental health (what he said was more than I have decided to post). Thankfully he left the surgery. Though my current GP has issues with my AP, even though he was the one who referred me to my current pdoc. I don't get how ignorant that GP's tend to be when it comes to mental illnesses.

Ignorance is rampant. I've been having depression issues lately, and my sister, who has also dealt with depression, was trying to explain to our mom what I was going through. The next day, when talking to mom,she said to me "Gee, you dont SOUND crazy". Gahhhhhhhhh!!!!! What can you say to that?!

I know exactly how you feel. I have I friend who I've tried to open up to about being severely, chronically depressed and he always just says, "You just need to start exercising" or "Psychiatrists are just out to make money when they prescribe you medications, I don't think those medications even work anyway". I know that exercising can be helpful to someone who's mildly depressed and not everyone needs medication but I've tried to explain that some people DO need medication and that some people are too depressed to even get out of bed, let alone go for a jog. It just bothers me because it makes me feel like by taking medications I'm taking the easy way out or being lazy or something, which isn't true.

If psychiatrists are just out to make money, they chose the wrong specialization. Having been raised by a p-doc who basically was shat upon when it came to his salary, I get very tired of hearing that.

Does your friend feel the same way about Oncologists? Because now we're talking real money.

And I don't say fuck you, because that makes them think that is the only response I have. I generally ask them where they went to medical school, and when they sputter, I say I think I'll stick to what my specially trained physician suggests. Not that that is particularly clever, but it makes them shut up. I can't cure their ignorance, but I don't have to listen to it.

This all sounds very familiar. I think if you have patience with the ones who matter most, the ones that NEED to understand, like your family, your doctor etc, then they will eventually understand. Sometimes it takes a while but it's worth it in the end.

I've even had psychologists tell me this kind of shit, not only about depression but about schizophrenia as well. If you end up with one of these douches, or sense that they have the theory that "your mental illness can be cured with a little effort", just change to a new professional if at all possible.

As for the other people, besides the ones that NEED to understand, it's usually not worth the battle of convincing them.

However, in some cases they are not totally wrong. It often can help to take some initiative in coping with mental illness. It certainly won't cure it, but it can be used as another important tool.

Ive been told before by a GP i was seeing when I first got sick, that "there is nothing wrong with you; it is in the interests of the mental health system to remain sick".

Now that really pissed me off. The panic attacks, anxiety, depression, intrusive thoughts, clinical obsessions and hallucinations are all normal right? I suppose I attempted suicide last year for the fun of it hey?

Most "normal" people, unless they make an effort to understand, will never understand.

Heh, even my husband, who has come to dr appts with me, done therapy, done things like call the hospital where I used to go for suggestions to "manage" me at home (we did kind of a partial IOP one time because my doc knows I hate hospitals so he'd call every day and adjust my meds, and I was confined to the house and not allowed to do anything, I was pretty messed up), had to try seroquel for the first time when he had his breakdown.

He apologized profusely to me the next day, saying he didn't realize what it was like to take AAPs. That was great.

Anna

Sometimes it just boils down to People Can Just Plain Suck. Much as I hate the whole concept of Us and Them, in the case of things like MI it often really IS Us and Them. I'm not sure the Thems will ever Get It unless they end up in the Carnival of Hell themselves, or they really want to try (IME, few do), and for in large part I think they're the ones who are perpetuating the stigma of "you'd get better if you Really Wanted To, but You Just Don't Want To" (yeah, because this is just so much fun, and it's not like anyone feels sorry for us and treats us better because we've got MI). People give me shit about some of the medications I take because some people take them recreationally - they're convinced that thereforeI must be taking them for the fun of it, not because that handful of pills mean I can get to therapy and try to do the things that are supposed to help me get better, or just a little closer to it.

Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly brave (or have just plain had enough) I can manage to look at them like they're something I scraped off the bottom of my shoe and ask them if they would ask a diabetic such insulting questions?

Archived